Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2015, 06:05   #1

Boat: Lagoon 500
Best Outdoor Grill

In over 40 years of sailing, I have spent over $10,000 on BBQ Grills. Only one grill has met my expections: The Weber Q-Grill line. I have begun seeing Q-Grills on manufacturer featured boats at boat shows (i.e. Fountain Pajot).

Q-Grills are not stainless Boat-Sexy, but ... The legs are plastic. The shell is aluminum. The grate doesn't rust or deteriorate. The burner is stainless, and wind rarely is a problem. They cook great!

I mounted my first Q-Grill on a fish cleaning table on the back rail of a Fountain Pajot Venesia. That Q-Grill lasted for over 6 years out in Bahamas weather. I only replaced it because I was sorry for-it.

My third Q-Grill is mounted in a fish cleaning table on my Lagoon 500 out in BVI and continues to perform.

Recommendation: Drill holes in the feet and secure the grill to the fish cleaning table with stainless bolts and wing-nuts. Drill a hole in the front of the lower shell large positioned and large enough to light the grill with a BBQ-Stick Lighter in case the grill igniter fails.

Alternative: Although I have not used the NEXGRILL 2-Burner Table-Top Portable Grill on a boat, the NexGrill man be a stainless alternative. The
NEXGRILL 2-Burner is a great tailgate grill.
Cat White House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:18   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Best Outdoor Grill

We have a Magma Newport and it sucks big time. Before that, we had a Force 10 and it sucked big time. Recently, we were looking to get a new grill, but they all seem to suck big time - at least from the reviews.

However, the Weber babyQ (or something like that) got almost uniformly great reviews and people were using them on boats.

So we looked at them, but don't really have a good way to mount it on our boat and the shape was too odd for storing it in the only space we have. These, of course, are only problems in our specific case and restraints.

The only other thing we found a downside is that it is fairly expensive and very heavy.

BTW, I recently saw one in a junk pile that was in great shape except there was a large hole melted through the aluminum bottom below the burner. I don't know what could have caused that, but suspect that these grills may get hot enough to melt aluminum if closed on high with fatty meats or something similar. The stainless ones also have this problem - they don't melt, but the stainless loses its stainless and strength and rusts very fast if it gets too hot.

Thanks for the head's up on the Nexgrill. I'll look at that one.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:28   #3

We just went and bought a $100 stainless steel Aussie Grill at Wal-Mart and mounted it to a fish cleaning platform on the rail. We love it so far and I don't see how it could wear out faster than the four or five Magna Grills that preceded it.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:32   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We actually bought one of those (I don't remember it being named Aussie, and it was definitely made in China). I took it back after unpacking it because it didn't look like it was going to be any different than our current Magma, and it had very sharp edges to it.

The one we got may have been a different unit than yours, because it was only $69.

Mark

EDIT: I just looked up the one we got and it was a "Better Homes and Gardens" brand. I will also now look at Aussie Grills.

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We actually bought one of those (I don't remember it being named Aussie, and it was definitely made in China). I took it back after unpacking it because it didn't look like it was going to be any different than our current Magma, and it had very sharp edges to it.

The one we got may have been a different unit than yours, because it was only $69.

Mark

EDIT: I just looked up the one we got and it was a "Better Homes and Gardens" brand. I will also now look at Aussie Grills.

This is the one we got. Wal-Mart wants $112.00 for it now, so it's gone up since we bought ours in March.
Old 18-09-2015, 14:50   #6

Boat: Hanse 348

Cat White: Do you actually sail with the grill in place? I was about to pull the trigger on a rectangular magma, but kept reading about a weber q. I like the idea of mounting to a rail with holes in the feet to a piece of starboard or something like that. However, do you leave it like that 100% of the time, or do you take in and out when you sail?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 15:00   #7

I bought a charbroil portable grill. Cast aluminum, plastic legs and latches that hold the legs closed so far it has worked great
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 01:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post

This is the one we got. Wal-Mart wants $112.00 for it now, so it's gone up since we bought ours in March.
theGrill looks cool
sammyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 05:01   #9

I have a Dickinson Sea BQ. I like it. Its HOT, so forget about slow cooking, but it gets the job done and its durable.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 05:03   #10

Here's a pic.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1443614577444.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	110231  
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:32   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

We bought a Dickinson Sea-B-Q about 20 years ago. We loved it but were the only ones in the Med with a gas BBQ so my OH sold it to friends. (( We've been enjoying great meals at their house on it ever since though. This year we bought another one & mounted it on the push put. It's exactly the same design as the old one& works very well even in a breeze. They are made in Vancouver. My OH is serious about grilling, & the Sea-B-Q has his full endorsement. And mine-- grilled meats are so much nicer, & cooler than galley cooking.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 15:06   #12

Boat: Orca 38

I dug my Sea B Que out of a dumpster on Bainbridge Island after it was placed there because the burner had rusted out. $64 later and I have a good outdoor cooking station.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:56   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I bought the cheapest MasterForge propane mini grill I could get at lowes for $70 USD. Slapped a set of normal magma grill feet on it to mount on the rail and then drilled/riveted them on. I covered most of the air slots with foil tape and now two years later she is still in great shape. A quick hit with a pressure washer and I'm done cleaning it.

Never have any problems with wind and she cooks very well.

In another year or two I will throw it out and reuse the feet on another one.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_304040-10792...ductId=3825621

here is another:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Hom...Grill/31897785
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Grill