Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2020, 21:30   #1

Best Marinas and Mooring Fields in LA?

Hi I'm currently looking for the best marinas and or mooring fields to live aboard in LA California mooring fields prefer though.

Best
ezechiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 21:59   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Best Marinas and Mooring Fields in LA?

Dont know your boat size but marinas you can try "the boat yard" or Wayfarer apartments and marina for live aboard slips. not sure about mooring. no mooring balls in LA except catalina and i heard recently Kings Harbor added some but haven't confirmed. Newport Beach has large mooring fields inside the harbor. Not sure about Long Beach.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 23:46   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Best? By what measure? Amenities? Price? Covered parking? Proximity to food shopping and a chandlery. Be more specific about your requirements and you’ll get a more useful response. Lots of marinas is Los Angeles County. Though you may be hard pressed to find one staffed at the moment. I’m not aware of any long term mooring balls in Los Angeles marinas.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:40   #4

er9 gets the question I'm asking he knows LA he gave me super insightful information where the marinas were located near Santa Monica I applaud and thank you sir
Old 08-04-2020, 07:52   #5

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezechiel View Post
er9 gets the question I'm asking he knows LA he gave me super insightful information where the marinas were located near Santa Monica I applaud and thank you sir
No mooring balls (your stated preference) in MDR, King Harbor has them but only for visitors. If MDR is of interest for a slip, Wayfarer has just been completely renovated with brand new docks and has better amenities. I was there and displaced for the remodel. The Boat Yard and Windward have slips but the are awful and way overpriced for what you get. There is a marina being redeveloped but COVID may be pushing back the completion date.
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 19:10   #6

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

The 10% live aboard is going to be a problem, but can be gotten around by paying for "temporary" moorage, this allows the marina to legally rent a live aboard slip .you
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 19:17   #7

lets say you got to the best Michelin star restaurants with out a culinary degree I guess I offer a lot of information that hasn't been recorded ?
Old 09-04-2020, 09:43   #8

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Find the web site for "The Log". So Cal boating paper and they put out a listing of all So Cal marinas each year. Can download from their web site.

Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 17:11   #9

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezechiel View Post
lets say you got to the best Michelin star restaurants with out a culinary degree I guess I offer a lot of information that hasn't been recorded ?
What does THAT mean?

Anyway, while er9 may have given you info that you wanted to hear, it was incomplete.

For example, Newport does have mooring balls, but it's a 2 hour drive to L.A., and if you can find one they are for sale, not rent, and will set you back the price of a pretty decent boat ($40-50k).

The only marina close to Santa Monica is of course, Marina Del Rey, which is a port that contains over 20 marinas, with over 5,000 slips. But to liveaboard the process includes not only finding an available liveaboard slip, but also applying to the Sheriff's Department for a permit. Your boat had to be insured and inspected by the Harbormaster. Suffice to say that getting a legal liveaboard slip in MDR is difficult, and it's also expensive. A quick look at one of the marinas that does allow liveaboards shows that the liveaboard fee is 55% of the slip rate, so liveaboard slip for a 35' boat totals over $1,000/month.

Your best bet for a liveaboard slip is to look at L.A. Harbor, or either Ventura or Channel Islands Harbors, and they have a little better slip rates, to boot. The trade-off being a longer drive if you work in L.A. I know for a fact that as of this date there are a good number of slips available in Ventura Harbor. Again, no moorings in either of these harbors.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 17:30   #10

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Zeke, did you find a boat yet? You should search Wilmington (L.A. Harbor) marinas, they frequently have lien sales, you could pick up a good deal that way, and likely get a liveaboard slip there, as well.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, mooring