Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 09:00   #46

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
Re: Best Heater for a 30-Footer ?

The Dickinson propane heaters are vented with a dual chamber chimney fresh air in and exhaust out so none of the dampness that propane creates and less concern for c02
Old 30-08-2012, 06:37   #47

I use a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy, a catalytic propane heater. It keeps my Newport 41S warm (but not hot) when it is freezing outside. It needs to have a hatch cracked to get enough oxygen. It doesn't produce CO. Will run about 5 days at low output on a Lowe's propane tank or several hours on a 1 lb green bottle. To use a big tank get a connector hose and look for a tank level gage at Lowe's/Home Depot or your local hardware store.
Old 30-08-2012, 17:05   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego View Post
I use a Mr. Heater Portable Buddy, a catalytic propane heater. It keeps my Newport 41S warm (but not hot) when it is freezing outside. It needs to have a hatch cracked to get enough oxygen. It doesn't produce CO. Will run about 5 days at low output on a Lowe's propane tank or several hours on a 1 lb green bottle. To use a big tank get a connector hose and look for a tank level gage at Lowe's/Home Depot or your local hardware store.
My post #43 in this thread I mention a catalytic wall mount heater. They advertise that it puts out no CO as well. I had one in a motorhome years ago, and it worked great. It was like a mini fireplace when lit.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 21:06   #49

Boat: Celestial 48

In regards to non-vented combustion heaters:
All combustion heaters in perfect condtions produce "no CO". It only when things are not perfect that CO is produced. These heaters are not perfect.
I would never install or use a non-vented combustion heater in a boat. If the combustion unit malfunctions it can create CO and kill everyone on board.
In any case, the combustion process will be removing Oxygen and replacing with CO2. Need to operate in a ventilated space or suffocate.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 21:21   #50

Boat: Celestial 48

Also:
Products of combustion (when perfect) are CO2 and H20 (water). Any non-vented combustion heater will be adding water vapor to the inside of your boat. Assuming its cold outside (duh), the cold surfaces of the boat will condense the moisture and you will soon be all wet and moldy.

An electric heat does not generate any moisture and does not need to be vented to the outside. Of course, will likely need to run generator. Good option if plugged in at the dock however.

Good propane and diesel heaters have products of combustion vented to outside to remove moisture, CO2 and any CO (if present). Need to make sure you have sufficent source of makeup air to replace the air vented to the outside by the unit (open dorade vents or a partially open port somewhere). Also need to be careful where opening is: A open port on the lee side of boat in a breeze can cause the boat's interior to go to a negative pressure and back-draft the products of combustion from the flue (air comes in flue stack instead of going out of it). This can be a serious safety problem.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 22:15   #51

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I am sure you all know propane is heavier than air, and any propane leaks inside a boat, fill the boat from the floor up with the explosive gas.

Be careful with propane.
Old 30-08-2012, 22:30   #52

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
I have a charcoal briquette heater. I am told, 4 briquettes will keep my 32 foot Clipper Marine toasty all night long.

After purchasing the sailboat, I removed the heater to make way for a large size dorm fridge and microwave. I have yet to remove the ductwork.

I may rethink the need for a good, clean, cheep source of heat and keep my little heater. I believe it will burn wood as well.
Old 29-11-2018, 02:08   #53

Boat: Morgan Out Island 305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnblu View Post
HALLIE - I have a detailed response from another sailor regarding the Dickinson Propane heater that may be helpful
Could I please get that info on the dickinson? Ty
rickster1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 06:06   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster1965 View Post
Could I please get that info on the dickinson? Ty
Is this what you're looking for?
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/cozycabinheater/

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2018, 08:38   #55

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product_c...place-heaters/
Old 03-12-2018, 09:04   #56

If you're dockside..

I'm living aboard a 33-foot Egg Harbor at a dock in Connecticut with a 30-amp electric hookup. After a lot of research, I'm using two 1500-watt oil-filled radiators. They are safe and keep the boat at a good temp.

This is my first winter aboard, but the freeze test came during last week's cold snap of consecutive 10-degree nights and 23-degree days. The boat wasn't what I would call warm and cozy, but the interior temp held steady at around 50 degrees.

--Valerie
valrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 13:02   #57

Boat: Catalina 30

I have to say that my Dickenson Newport (diesel) is a wonderful heater, throws and amazing amount of heat for the amount of fuel burned, and because it draws air into the boat, it helps keep everything nice and dry as well as warm and cozy. Some people think that they smell however, and unless I have the air fuel right they can smoke too (not enough air for complete combustion) but that being said mine is on its 6th year of faithful service, and on a Catalina 30 it throws enough heat that unless it's below 45°f you have to open things up so you don't and up just like the Christmas turkey, and it rarely ever gets turned to high, but when it does you know it's cold (not more than in the single digits)
On the other hand I have always liked the idea of solid fuel heaters but space is premium and the fuel takes up a mess of space otherwise I would have one, also with most solid fuel heaters, you have to be the one that feeds them and I am generally to lazy to be bothered.
Alcohol heaters ... I actively dislike them, there fuel if not very energy dense and bulkier and an alcohol fire isn't all together that warm (course I still wouldn't be sticking my hand in it)
Propane I actually like, my last boat had propane, but she wasn't pulling extra duty as my abode either, she had the propane version of the heater I have now, the heat produced was way more than adequate for a 25 footer, it was easier to light (no fiddling around with a piece of paper towel and a match, like I will be in,a few hours) and the viewing glass on the heater was nice added a nice cozy feel to the cabin.
Electric heaters, I have a couple and I want to like them, and they do have their uses, but they do nothing to draw dry air into the boat, can not be used away from the dock (on most boats anyway) but if your not living aboard and the boat is staying in the slip, and your just going to be around for a few hours, they are hard to beat (Although an electric ignition propane would probably come close)
Hydronic heaters and forced air heaters I am not that familiar with, I do know they have the option (mostly) to be controlled by a thermostat....
Hope, some or any of all that helps, but there are some really knowledgeable people here, someone here, not only probably has something but they can explain how and why it works too.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 16:34   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
What about those wall mount Catalytic Heater's? They burn propane, & look like a mini fireplace when lit. Also they say they put out zero emission.
Anyone use those? They seem like a good option.
-Bruce

I'd go with the diesel for convenience and safety, though they do require some maintenance. It would be nice if someone made a solid fuel heater that could also run diesel....... the best of both worlds.

The catalytic heaters are wonderful. But the product of combustion is CO2 and water vapor. They are cheap to run and extremely reliable. Because there is no vent, they are 100% efficient. I strongly disagree with the assertion that they produce CO, they do consume oxygen from the room, so venting is important.

Assertion that one type of electric resistance heater is more efficient than another are utter nonsense. Ceramic heaters, or oil filled heaters, or radiant heaters all put out the same BTUs per watt hour. Only a heat pump achieves greater efficiency.

Solid fuel heaters have the added advantage of allowing you to burn trash...within reason.

Propane heaters can be very efficient, and are more trouble free than any kind of diesel heater. Gallon for gallon diesel has more energy, and it's handier than having to get bottles filled, and if you are running a diesel engine, it makes sense. Pound for pound propane and diesel are pretty much equal. The energy is about in proportion to the weight of the fuel. Propane 4.25 pounds per gallon, diesel about 7 and gasoline about 6. Unfortunately people get robbed blind on propane. I paid $1.37 this year to get my 500 gallon tank filled (delivered). The typical bottles people exchange are 20 pound, which is less than 5 gallons, and people pay about $4 a gallon buying it that way.

H.W.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:49   #59

Boat: Yankee 30'

I have lived aboard my Yankee 30 in Florida for 39 years and during the cold snaps (down to around freezing) I have been using portable electric heaters (ceramic/fan). I don't trust them much, so I always run them at the low setting. When it is really cold and windy (I know, relative term) I use two. I always check the temperature of cords and plugs. I prefer the ones with thermostats and the ones that shut off when tipped over.
Once long time ago I took the boat for a summer to Scandinavia. I installed a fancy marine brass drip pot diesel heater with fuel pump, header tank and flue. While being grateful for the heat, I had to sit next to it and keep adjusting the drip rate visible through a sight glass. It occasionally sneezed and emitted black soot. Never left it untended. It lasted that one year. Been sailing warm climes since, lol. I do plan sailing North for the summer one day and appreciate all the comments on this thread. I think I will go with propane this time.
sv.antea is offline   Reply With Quote