Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2020, 05:04   #1

Best entertainment system for yacht cruises? What are your stories and experiences?

Hello to everyone :-)

I was able to take a look at an absolute super yacht cruises the other day. Of course, only from the outside, but actually it would be cool if I could enter such a super yacht one day. Have you ever seen one of these gigantic yachts from the inside? I imagine that it is absolutely breath-taking and stunning to see that. I would totally live there my whole life!

Anyway...I just saw from the outside that there was a huge seating lounge and on the opposite site there was a gigantic screen. That was, I think, the biggest TV I've ever seen in my life. :-) It wasn't a beamer or anything similar, but a huge display. The picture was also super sharp. I just wonder if that TV is always set up there...of course you need a lot of space for that...And what else is there for an entertaining system on such super yachts? Have you ever made any experiences there and have you even been allowed to look into such a yacht yourself? I imagine that the whole equipment you can find in there is made of technical excellence. Maybe one or the other of you even has such high end systems on your yacht!?! Then I envy you already ;-)

So my question is: What is the best entertainment system for yacht cruises you have ever seen? I am already curious to hear your stories :-) Cheers, shanter :-)
shanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 05:18   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Best entertainment system for yacht cruises? What are your stories and experience

This works quite well
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount <a title=gay.jpeg Views: 225 Size: 20.4 KB ID: 223647" style="margin: 2px" />
Old 18-09-2020, 05:31   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Best entertainment system for yacht cruises? What are your stories and experience

Once you get past a threshold on size, you can have any entertainment center in a yacht that you can have on shore, so the question becomes what is the biggest/best you've seen anywhere.

A megayacht fitted out as a floating resort is not really the thrust of the forum. Cruisers don't really embark on trips, or live on the water, with the goal of replicating shore life while floating. We're much more likely to be found in the cockpit, wheel house, or engine room than in the cocktail lounge. I think you may be talking about a group of people whose goal for owning a boat is different than that of most cruisers.
Old 18-09-2020, 05:57   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter View Post
Hello to everyone :-)

I was able to take a look at an absolute super yacht cruises the other day. Of course, only from the outside, but actually it would be cool if I could enter such a super yacht one day. Have you ever seen one of these gigantic yachts from the inside?
There was a programme on the tv recently showing the insides of several superyachts. One, loaded with so much bling, I thought it looked tacky. Clearly no class, probably 'new money'

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 06:04   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

"......probably new money......." I would say "nouveau riche" (new wealthy), but you need money for that of course
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 06:15   #6

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Once you get past a threshold on size, you can have any entertainment center in a yacht that you can have on shore, so the question becomes what is the biggest/best you've seen anywhere.

A megayacht fitted out as a floating resort is not really the thrust of the forum. Cruisers don't really embark on trips, or live on the water, with the goal of replicating shore life while floating. We're much more likely to be found in the cockpit, wheel house, or engine room than in the cocktail lounge. I think you may be talking about a group of people whose goal for owning a boat is different than that of most cruisers.
Speak for yourself: that’s precisely what we do. We live in a boat on the water with all the comforts of our land life. We just add all the benefits of being on the water to our shore based life. This means unlimited hot and cold water, air conditioning and heating, satellite TV, internet, etc. added to anchoring in quiet coves and rivers, living close to marine life and birds of all sorts, taking long walks in shoreside towns and villages, traveling wherever and whenever we want, etc.

Don’t knock it until you have tried it!
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 06:20   #7

Pass the pigs is always a fun game. It’s essentially dice but the rolled items are pigs. Cheap, small and it can easily be turned into a gambling or drinking game.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4253.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	223659  
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 07:34   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Hey, Woodland Hills. Sounds like a good life. But, I don't think you fit in the "wretched excess" category I was referring to.
Old 18-09-2020, 08:34   #9

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Amazing the breadth of this thread with only 8 posts - lol

I've got a friend with a sister-ship that tore the chart locker out of his boat so he could fit in a larger screen TV. Everyone has their own priorities.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 09:17   #10

Boat: Currently boatless

Lots of books on your Kindle dor other tablet?
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 09:18   #11

Boat: 2002 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37

The best entertainment system for any sized boat is still a good book. I can recommend Elmore Leonard.
tilostahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 10:02   #12

Boat: KP 46

I was project manager and Captain on several MegaYachts, both power and sail.

Entertainment systems changed with the technology, I would always find a good company and have them design and install the latest and greatest. We would update every few years.

However, one of the most entertaining systems we had on board was an ROV. It was about the size of a large dock box. had a maneuverable claws and basket with 1000 ft of cable.

I used to fly it down and have a look at reefs, shipwrecks etc. one of the most interesting was "The Slot" Blackett Strait, south of Kolombangara in the Solomon Islands where JFK's PT-109 went down. Several wrecks there. I went inside the wheelhouse on a few. One had a load of tanks on deck, the turrets had fallen off most of them as the ship was at about a 45 degree list. I could face it into the holes on the tanks where the turret had been.

Everyone would gather round the large screen in the saloon and watch, it was great fun. The large lights would also allow everyone to see the colors in the coral at depth. I would sit it on the bottom near a reef and the fish would return and surround it. Very entertaining.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 10:08   #13

Boat: Antares 44i

We have a boat friend who calls every anchorage or marina "the best reality TV show in existence". Sometimes (e.g., when Med mooring) we're characters in the show, at other times, we are viewers. But sitting in Valleycat's cockpit at anchor, in a marina, or as a town quay is still the best entertainment going!
AZUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 10:15   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I find watching people try to dock their various craft in high winds quite entertaining...you get both visual and sound affects......usually R rated....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 10:33   #15

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
This works quite well
Attachment 223647
Ha! and then the screen only has to be 32"!!

Tags
cruise, enc, men, yacht