Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2020, 10:47   #16

Boat: Hunter 410
Re: Best entertainment system for yacht cruises? What are your stories and experience

I'm entertained pretty constantly by the old game "what's going to break next"

Sometimes you can guess it before the actual breakage, sometimes not so much. Either way I seem to sink endless hours into this game
Old 18-09-2020, 11:08   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Best entertainment system for yacht cruises? What are your stories and experience

I prefer big sky to big screen. If you are just gonna sit around immersed in electronic entertainment why bother with a boat?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Milkyway%20In%20the%20Rigging%20(1%20of%201).jpg
Views:	84
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	223682
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 11:35   #18

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I prefer big sky to big screen. If you are just gonna sit around immersed in electronic entertainment why bother with a boat?
Attachment 223682
Because itís not an either or choice. Itís the wide open sky, plus modern entertainment. Itís watching ducks and geese paddle around the cove and then watching a good film before bed. Itís having a choice, not denying oneself the options that living in the 21st century allows.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 12:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter View Post
Hello to everyone :-)

I was able to take a look at an absolute super yacht cruises the other day. Of course, only from the outside, but actually it would be cool if I could enter such a super yacht one day. Have you ever seen one of these gigantic yachts from the inside? I imagine that it is absolutely breath-taking and stunning to see that. I would totally live there my whole life!

Anyway...I just saw from the outside that there was a huge seating lounge and on the opposite site there was a gigantic screen. That was, I think, the biggest TV I've ever seen in my life. :-) It wasn't a beamer or anything similar, but a huge display. The picture was also super sharp. I just wonder if that TV is always set up there...of course you need a lot of space for that...And what else is there for an entertaining system on such super yachts? Have you ever made any experiences there and have you even been allowed to look into such a yacht yourself? I imagine that the whole equipment you can find in there is made of technical excellence. Maybe one or the other of you even has such high end systems on your yacht!?! Then I envy you already ;-)

So my question is: What is the best entertainment system for yacht cruises you have ever seen? I am already curious to hear your stories :-) Cheers, shanter :-)
People who own super yachts spend a lot of time in the salon as they hardly ever sail themselves which is why they have the massive entertainment systems. Normal sailors spend most of their time on deck so the big TV and huge speaker aren't useful. My only recommendation for cockpit speakers would be to get some higher end patio speakers as they'll cost about half what the marine grade speakers will and probably sound better (assuming the wind isn't howling)
joelhemington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 12:52   #20

Boat: csy 37

Bagpipes
Old 18-09-2020, 12:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
"......probably new money......." I would say "nouveau riche" (new wealthy), but you need money for that of course
Or maybe nouveau broke
Old 18-09-2020, 12:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Hey, Woodland Hills. Sounds like a good life. But, I don't think you fit in the "wretched excess" category I was referring to.
Rumor has it that he's designing a lap pool to hang off his transom
Old 18-09-2020, 13:01   #23

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Because itís not an either or choice. Itís the wide open sky, plus modern entertainment. Itís watching ducks and geese paddle around the cove and then watching a good film before bed. Itís having a choice, not denying oneself the options that living in the 21st century allows.
A nice comfortable king sized bed as well,
With real mattresses, same as in a dirt house
And in a full height walk around cabin
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 15:18   #24

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I worked on 2, nothing outrageouse, maybe tender stored in the Jacuzzi, VSat communication so could have internet everywhere, wet bikes, some got a helicopter, another had a 40' sailing boat. But in St Tropez, a nearby yacht had a Dancing pole, that was being used.
Old 20-09-2020, 05:16   #25

pirate Re: Best entertainment system for yacht cruises? What are your stories and experience

I have found that the new "Harmonica and vocals" is the best sound system EVER!
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 08:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post

That was the same I thought about this. At least we can choose an have both, the wonderful sky and also a good entertainment system to combine it. Obviously I understand people who don't want any entertainment system on their private yacht, but I would prefer to have on.
@shanter: I think there is no definitive answer to your question...depends totally on the yacht.A super yacht will have more space for a entertainment system which can be as big as one installed in a house. A smaller yacht has obviously the limited space and for example no place for a huge TV...
Izon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 07:51   #27

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your answers!

bobnlesley, hahaha great! this is probably something more for the night ;-) but true, this works pretty well - however the next day is gonna be...well…not so fun, let's say, if you drink too much… ;-)

tkeithlu, that's right, yachts are available in the biggest versions. You just have to look at these huge cruise ships...there are the most spectacular things on them…I’ve seen one once with a HUGH slide on it into the pool…at first I didn’t even realise that it was a slide because it was soooo big!! But honestly, I wouldn’t go on a cruise ship. I would feel locked up like in a sardine can - unless you can afford the biggest cabin. ;-) And it was clear to me that a megayacht fitted out as a floating resort is not the thrust of the forum - but I just wanted to read about your experiences and impressions. All these super yachts are mega interesting, and I would like to be on one of them sometime in my life. Maybe some of the users here in the forum feel the same way. One may dream ;-) But yes, you are right...I'm pretty much talking about people whose goal for owning a boat is different than most of the users here…

Pete7, do you remember which programme on TV it was? I always find such documentaries quite interesting. And yes, tastes are different. I agree with you...if it's too loaded with too much bling, it might look tacky. I think if you have so much money anyways, you can look for designers, architects, engineers etc. and get something designed that doesn't look tacky. But of course: you play definitely in a different league if you can afford all that.

Woodland Hills, that sounds like a dream to me. I also imagine to live in a boat on the water for a long time. It’s not that hard to make some concessions, at least to me - in my twenties I travelled the world with my backpack and was able to live with the absolute minimum. That was also somehow quite liberating. But now when you are older you want a certain luxury of course. Not everything has to be a challenge! :-) But as you say....hot and cold water, air conditioning and heating and some entertainment systems would actually be enough to lead a relaxed life in a boat. :-) How long have you been living on the boat now?

JC Reefer, I love parlour games! What about you? Thanks for the tip.

dougweibel, ahhaha true!! And yes, you just have to set priorities. :-) If you don't need the chart at all, then you can of course have a nice TV there…why not!? :-)

KenPole, I used to read a lot actually. And I really enjoy reading. It's pretty relaxing - so I should start doing it more frequently again ;-) Any book recommendations?

tilostahl, thanks for the recommendation! I will have a look on that. :-)

captmikem, wow, that's an awesome job! How did you come to this? Is it normal that owners let refit their megayachts? How long would something like that take? Or what were the biggest projects you have done? This ROV sounds amazing. I wish I could see that as well, especially the wheelhouse! I love snorkelling, but with a system like that you can go down pretty deep, right? The corals must be stunning! This sounds like real entertainment to me.

AZUS, hahaha a marina could probably be the best reality TV show in existence heheh this is entertaining as well...but to me watching a nice soccer match or whatever on a big TV on a boat is kind of entertaining too - and drink some beers while watching it ;-) (again dreaming haha)

JebLostInSpace, well, I actually hope that nothing breaks next

belizesailor, wow, this picture is stunning! Where did you take it!?!?

Woodland Hills again, true, why limit yourself? I am always in favour of doing what you feel like doing. You don't get to see a so many stars like this every night!

joelhemington, of course, the interests of super yachts owners and "normal" sailors are different. Just as different as the way how to life on a boat. But music is always good... :-)

Oceanride007, what did you work there? And what - a helicopter?!? haha where can you store it? And yes, a dancing pole sounds reasonable! This should be built into every yacht from the start haha

Izon, I'm not even looking for a definitive answer to my question. :-) I just wanted to hear about your experiences and stories - I really enjoy reading all your posts! :-) If I can't make it on a super yacht, then I'll just dream about it tonight And it's clear that the entertaining system also depends on the size of the yacht. However, on a boat you certainly have design and plan more than in a house (where you would have much more space available…)

Cheers!
shanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 08:05   #28

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63í

We moved aboard in June 2018 and began to travel in November 2018. We have been wandering ever since.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 08:23   #29

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

A good travel guitar, I carry a Martin D Jr.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 11:17   #30

Woodland Hills, amazing! Where have you been since you started travelling? What was your most favourite part? And how long do you stay in those places on average?

nwdiver, I wish I could play the guitar!! It’s one of my most favourite instruments…at least there is good music that you can stream as well
shanter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, enc, men, yacht