Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2021, 02:29   #16

Re: Best Credit Card for cruisers?

Revolut is a really good card for getting best exchange rate while cruising easy app you can move money to certain currency’s due to fluctuation I don’t think it’s available to US citizens.
Mpeissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 06:30   #17

We use Capital One. No foreign transaction fees and get the actual exchange rate of that day. Generally cheaper than paying cash even if the retailer charges a transaction fee, as you never get the actual exchange rate when you get cash at an ATM.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 12:10   #18

Boat: 48' Alu Cat

Revelut and Wise are international Debit cards.
For foreign currency transactions they use the intermediate rate to calculate the exchange rate, instead of the buy or sell rate most banks use, which is very costly to us.
Seman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 01:58   #19

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Thumbs up Revolut

I can't recommend Revolut highly enough!

I have handled all my spendings as well as investments in different currencies through Revolut over the last years.

Advantages:
- Alway great currency exchange rates.
- Always full transparency.
- Holds multiple currencies.
- Fast mostly free international transfers
- Great app with overview
- Now available to US and Canadians
- Start with a free plan, and use it as primary or secondary

Things to note:
- Limited free cash withdrawal depending on plan
- Higher exchange rates on weekends, so exchange on weekdays
- Will only draw from the already exchanged local currency if your account covers your purchase fully.
- Debit card, with the build in restrictions. Many places you can't rent a car with it.

Coverage todays date:
Recolut is available to legal residents of the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, Singapore, Switzerland, Japan and the United States.

I also have Wise (used to be TransferWise).
I generally find Revolut totally outcompetes it.

Peace!
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 03:58   #20

Boat: Reinke S10 - 34' Alu Junk Rig Schooner
Revolute link

Go to Revolute for your card and account setup

Revolute affiliate link only if you insist to support me with no extra benefits to yourself.

PS. Be aware, that Revolut will bug you for documentation of income/other origin of your money.
As you spend more and more, they will bug you a few times. Just so you are aware.
Junk Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 04:36   #21
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Sailors worldwide should have a an American Express card first. We have one of their gold cards... it’s even made of metal. The reason is that this is the only card that is from the same company worldwide. They have offices everywhere, with excellent support. Trouble with hotels, travel agencies etc. are all taken care of by them. We use their travel agency as well for extra benefits and support.

But it’s not as widely accepted as other cards. We also went for a US issued Capital One cash back card. This is a Visa card with their top end Signature service package. Not only do we get 1.5% cash back, we also have zero foreign transaction fees and the card itself is completely free. We can’t get a Dutch issued card anywhere near that!

But we also have a Dutch issued Mastercard from one of the banks in Holland. Some online payments in Holland can only be done with that because they require European safety protocols which are different than for the US. This card is included with our (not free) bank account and offers zero benefits.

So in short: get an American Express card, a Visa card and a MasterCard. Try to get free foreign transactions and the best deals like cash back or Amex rewards (I use those to get Home Depot gift cards at 100% point to cent rate)

I try not to use debit cards and instead try to bring the cash I need.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 15:48   #22

Capital One included a notice with this month's statement that they are dropping all the benefits listed above (no fees on foreign transactions tions, rental car insurance, etc.) Both Visa and Master Card accounts are affected.
skipper53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2021, 17:16   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post
Capital One included a notice with this month's statement that they are dropping all the benefits listed above (no fees on foreign transactions tions, rental car insurance, etc.) Both Visa and Master Card accounts are affected.
I checked my April and March statements and they don’t have that. My account says no foreign transaction fees.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F21F2CC1-1D97-481B-9236-DF7E3553765F.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	238756  

Old 19-05-2021, 18:31   #24

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipper53 View Post

A fact to consider is that many issuing banks adjust terms, interest rate, benefits, etc., based on the way their software scores the profit potential of each customer. I remember being in a bank branch once and thinking that the (female) banker was hitting on me so great was the fawning I received. I later saw that there was some sort of "high value customer" indicator visible on her computer monitor. Gross. Other times I've been a pariah.

Like s/v Jedi I stick with American Express because my relationship with them is predictable. Though their customer service has declined somewhat over the years with changing times, they are still quite good and much better than their competition, particularly where international travel is involved.
Old 20-05-2021, 04:33   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Something is weird though... I checked their website for info on the Quicksilver card and it says no foreign transaction fees there as well. This is for new customers. I checked other cards, all of them state no foreign transaction fees.

I think it must’ve been for another card, not Capital One.

Old 24-05-2021, 14:09   #26

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

USAA is awesome debit card if you can get it.

Been around the world and no problem getting out cash and they reimburse first few atm withdrawals per month. Exchange rate is usually good also.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 14:36   #27

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

I used to fly with an international airline until last year. A few guys who were much smarter than me and who were interested in this stuff said that :
ING Debit card charged no international currency fees & paid for any ATM charges as long as $1000 was transferred to the account monthly.
Latitude 28 credit cards were similar with the charges and required no monthly transfers,
There are probably many others, but I can vouch for these two options. I use both daily.
PS I agree with a previous writer who said to have both a Mcard & a Visa card.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 18:11   #28

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

When I was in Costa Rica in 1994 they only accepted one card (Mastercard IIRC). So yes, have both a Visa and Mastercard. American Express is great but isn't accepted as often.

The important thing to know is that in the EU (and some other places) vendors don't use signatures to verify, just PINs, and often will refuse cards that don't have a PIN. Many of our (stupid, insecure) signature cards in the U.S. can have a PIN added. Any card you take to Europe must have a PIN or you will encounter difficulties.

I used to withdraw cash from my debit card at a bank or ATM (carefully in tourist areas - the pickpockets are watching). Then I used cash for everyday expenditures. This cuts down on the possibility of credit card fraud.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser