Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 13:59   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 38 Telstar #123
Best Cabin Fan?

Which of the following is quieter or performs better?

Hella Marine, 12 Volt, 2 Speed, 'Turbo' Fan, Black or White

or the

Caframo 748 Bora, 3-Speed Fan, 12 Volt, White

or

something else.
SVAndante9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 15:18   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Many vendors try to just use vague marketing terms to describe performamce/quality. For fans look up the CFM (cubic feet per minute) specs for each.

I like the Caframo 747 and use them exclusively (they used to be inexpensive too before WM stocked them). You can find them for less in non-marine markets like RV. They are available w a couple of different mounting options. Rated at 270 CFM which is more than the spec for the Bora (748) at 225 CFM.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...6#.UvF0LcG3P5I

Hella "Turbo" fans in my experience generate more noise than breeze and their CFM rating of only 125 is consistent with that. They cost more, move less air, and the ratings on WM site are lower than either Caframo product.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 15:28   #3

Boat: Catalina 310
re: Best Cabin Fan?

We have two different types on the boat. For spot use like on each of our heads while in bed, we have the Hella Marine Jet Fans. Great little fan that was easy to install.

In the salon, we have the Caframo Sirocco 807 Fan. It rocks. Moves a lot of air.
Old 04-02-2014, 17:51   #4

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Best cabin fan?

I have a Caframo sirocco in my berth that is mounted so it can pull air thru the hatch, I love it one of the best things I've ever done on the boat for comfort. I also have a Halla Turbo for the guest berth that I still have to figure out where to mount so have no experience with it yet. One of the best features on the sirocco is the run timer some nights I only need it to run a couple of hours. I'am contemplating buying 1 or 2 more to mount in the solon & galley, one would work for both areas mounted in the right spot.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 17:56   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We also have a caframo sirocco in the salon. It is much much quieter than our hella fans and it doesn't rattle. Its much better built. On the other hand, they are much bigger and the installation is not as straight forward because of the mount and the articulation.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 19:34   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

All I can say is avoid hella fans , constant output, variable noise machine !

Dave
Old 04-02-2014, 19:58   #7

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I have seen multiple threads on this over the years. It ends up being Caframo. But which model?
Old 04-02-2014, 20:08   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I replaced all the fans on my boat, which were aging rattling Guest two-speed oscillating fans with Caframo 757s. They have two advantages; the lack of a cage means they move more air, and you can buy replacement blades for them for cheap in case they wear out. You can stick your fingers in the open running blades and other than giving you a start, neither you not the fan gets hurt. They are compact, come in white and black, and have two speeds, and are relatively inexpensive. I switched to them based on the recommendation of a couple of folks who had been using them for years and swear by them.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 20:18   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Trust me. TCM fans are noisy.

Old 04-02-2014, 20:26   #10

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

TMC sucks, noisey and horrible :-). My vote goes for caframo, not hella. We have both, I'll by Caframo again when I can and ditch the Hellas...
Old 04-02-2014, 20:45   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

The Fan-Tastic Endless Breeze. 12" unit that looks like a mini window fan. Mount it in a hatch or the companionway blowing out and it will suck a nice breeze in through the ports, dorados, vents, etc. Much better than any small fan that just stirs up the hot stale air in the cabin.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 20:47   #12

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Practical Sailor did a test on cabin fans a few years ago and the Caframo Bora that you have pictured came in pretty high. Based on that I bought a couple and installed them.

After a season I was happy enough with them that I bought another two and installed them. I really like them. The power draw is very low and the sound they make, while audible, is pleasant. There is no rattling or squealing or anything like that (they are new, but so far so good). I actually like the "white noise" when I'm sleeping.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 21:07   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Scirocco here and a few 757s and it was good enough for Guatemala this summer...most of the time.

The Scirocco is between the galley and a settee and swivels to cool both areas as long as you only need one area cooled at a time.
Old 04-02-2014, 22:31   #14

Boat: Vancouver 27

I have some aging Hellas onboard that rattle terribly. Bought a few Caframo Boras for the v-berth last year and have been pleased with them. Much quieter, lower draw than the Hellas (Hellas are older tho) and move more air. They are a bit of a pain to clean though, which requires a bit of disassembly to really get at em.

I aim to buy a few of the Caframo 757s next when the Hellas bite it. I like the fully enclosed cage of the Bora but it makes the cleaning harder and blocks some airflow.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 01:32   #15

Boat: 1984 Cal 35 Mk II - - Hull #85

I installed 7 fans throughout my 35 foot sailboat. After alot of research, I bought a mixture of Caframo 757's (2) - Hella Turbos (4), and a Caframo 807 Sirocco. I also bought a Caframo 747 (has a DC plug) to use anywhere around the boat or in or under the cockpit area (working down below).

The Caframos produce more air and are a little more noisy (but not annoyingly) and the Hellas have been tested to run 24/7 for 2 years straight. The Sirocco I put in my quarter berth, where it can swing around in any direction - to use in the quarter berth or turned to my chart table.

The Hellas are mounted on the bulkhead (port side & starboard side) in the main salon, and on both sides of the forward V-berth. The Caframos I have mounted at the galley and in the Head area.

I like the Caframos for the large movement of air (hence the Galley & Head areas). I like the Hellas because they will last a very long time and are quiet.

The 757's cost $32.51 at suremarineservice.com.
The 747 (with DC cord) $36.09
The Sirocco cost $81.87

The Hellas are $63.62 with free shipping at Amazon.com

Cheers!

https://www.facebook.com/CaptainRickoAndTheSvTikiNotion
Capt'n Ricko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin