Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 15:43   #1

Boat: ex - Tayana 55
Bahamas

Hi All
Starting next year, my wife and I would like to spend a few seasons in the Bahamas. Reason the the Bahamas is that we need to be able to go back and forth regularly to Florida for medical treatment so the short flights suit. Haven't bought the boat yet but looking at a Cat (easier on my wife's back!), around 45 feet.

We want to be able to leave the boat on short notice if necessary but also get back out quickly on our return. Biggest problem is probably cost. I don't want to have to haul the boat (to keep costs down) every time we leave for a couple of weeks. Would prefer to keep it in a marina but can't afford the fees that you see listed ($80+ per day) for a 45' boat and probably more for a cat!

I'd like to hear from any experienced hands who can offer advice. Is it possible to find a longer term mooring/marina spot where we could come back to, tie up and head off (with a friendly local to keep an eye out in our absence)????

Thanks
Magor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 16:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Bahamas

Green Turtle, Hopetown, and Man-o-War all have moorings that might be available. Each of these islands have a frequent and reasonable ferry service for passengers to reach the airports at Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbor.
Old 28-04-2013, 17:10   #3

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I second CaptForce's recommendations, but if you are worried about costs of dockage I have a feeling you will also be dismayed by the cost of flights back and forth from the Bahamas. Any chance the medical treatment could be done in Nassau? They have good medical facilities and doctors there, and internal flights within the Bahamas are much more reasonable. However, with hurricanes and such, the flights, the hassles of getting back and forth, I might suggest considering staying within Florida until the medical process is complete--it would make your lives much easier. Just stop in anywhere and rent a car.
Old 28-04-2013, 17:20   #4

Boat: csy 37

like captforce said, there are some good places to leave boats for a few weeks without hauling. i've been told that you can anchor in man o war and there are people ashore who will look after your boat for a fee (don't know how much).

like kettlewell says, you can take a ferry to the airport at marsh harbor. but the flights are a bit expensive because they are all smaller airplanes.

medical care in the abacos is somewhat limited, but depending on the kind of care you need it might be cheaper to get it there (if available) than pay for expensive flights, hotels, cars, etc....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 23:08   #5

Boat: 50 Bene

Hi Magor,

My wife grew up in the Bahamas and we sail the abacos regularly. As of about a year ago, if memory serves, a mooring in hope town will cost you about $350 a month, add in a bit extra if you want someone to keep an eye on your boat Sky Bahamas is around $60 for a one way to Nassau. From there several lcc's fly to the states. Avoid the flights to Fla. they are much more expensive. JetBlue and AirTran will be your best bet maybe spirit. If you you need medical service in the abacos my wife's cousin is one of the docs. Jimmy Hull great guy and super Doc, based in Marsh Harbor.

Cheerio

Will
Clipper4730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 02:50   #6

Boat: Boatless

Have you considered how you will take care of the boat if a hurricane threatens?

Insurance might be a bigger problem than mooring!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 04:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Green Turtle, Hopetown, and Man-o-War all have moorings that might be available. Each of these islands have a frequent and reasonable ferry service for passengers to reach the airports at Treasure Cay or Marsh Harbor.
Second this. Georgetown also has some moorings available over on Stocking Island, but I would much rather leave my boat in the Abacos. Leaving one in either place during hurricane season is a crap shoot, although odds are, it would probably be okay.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 04:21   #8

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

You might consider Georgetown Exuma. There are a couple of "hurricane" holes on Stocking Island and mooring balls run about $300 a month. There are multiple flights per day from Georgetown direct to Miami or Ft Lauderdale. There's a very active cruising community during the winter season. The other thing it has going for it is that it is much warmer during the winter than the Abacos. I don't go to the Abacos before late April because it's cold up there, especially the water.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 05:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

I would recommend leaving it in Marsh Harbour, and working out a deal with someone to move the boat to leasure lee for you in the event of a looming hurricane...
FLLCatsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 05:49   #10

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
I don't go to the Abacos before late April because it's cold up there, especially the water.
Ha! You've been south too long--just kidding. I actually like the Abaco winter weather in that once in awhile you get a cooler snap that is refreshing. Might even have to break out a sweater once in awhile. I think there are a lot more moorings in the Abacos compared to Georgetown--it might be tough to secure a mooring for the entire winter in Georgetown. I'm not sure what the current situation is like, but in the past the medical facilities in the Abacos were better too, if that is a factor.
Old 29-04-2013, 08:41   #11

Hi Everyone
Thanks for the great advice. So it sounds like having a fixed mooring and a contact ashore to keep an eye on the boat when we're away is viable.

Can you pay for the mooring buoy for months in advance and come and go as you please (i.e. if you head off for a few days/weeks), is it still yours when you come back?

regards
Magor
Old 29-04-2013, 12:14   #12

Boat: Irwin Yacht, Ketch, 52'

We had the similar situation. Purchased an Irwin 52' Ketch in Miami and stay at River Point Marina which is 2 miles from the hospital for my treatments. Takes a day to sail to the Bahamas and a few hours to sail to the Keys. We pay (per month) $12 a foot plus our lite bill averaging $75 per month. Nice quiet marina with only 15 slips and 8 liveaboards allowed. Would highly suggest this area.

Respectfully

Sandi
SandiForee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 13:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Magor,

What aspect of the cat are you thinking to be easier on your wife's back? If sailing level or fewer steps up and down then that is a given. If it is due to the motion that might not be the case. My experience with multihulls the motion in certain conditions, especially sailing upwind in a steep chop, the motion can be quick and jerky compared to a monohull.

Of course on a 45' cat this may not be an issue until it gets very choppy but still worth thinking about. Have you sailed on a large cat with your wife? Might want to charter one for a week if you haven't before making the investment.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 15:04   #14

Hi Skipmac
Main issue with a monohull is the heeling motion. A cat seems to provide the stable platform my wife needs though I take your point about the chop etc. thanks. We will definitely charter before we buy

Sandi, thanks for the tip.

Regards
Magor
Old 29-04-2013, 15:14   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magor View Post
Hi Skipmac
Main issue with a monohull is the heeling motion. A cat seems to provide the stable platform my wife needs though I take your point about the chop etc. thanks. We will definitely charter before we buy
I do not deny that heeled over for days at a time gets really tiring and if that's what does in your wife's back then go for the cat.

What I want is a monohull with a 10' draft to sail upwind that drops to 4' draft, for easier haulouts and docking in tight marina but a cat for living at anchor, sailing off the wind and putzing around the Bahamas.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas