Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 09:29   #16
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Take your handy dandy sharpie and make a large design over the old name that incorporates the new name and obliterates the old one!

A set of 12 coloured sharpies will give you a good palate to work with.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46   #17
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Take your handy dandy sharpie and make a large design over the old name that incorporates the new name and obliterates the old one!

Erm, what's a shapie???? At first I thought you might mean a sharp knife, but that probably wouldn't do much for the buoyancy of the life jackets......
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:46   #18

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Try Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony, at the link below. I used it to dename a friend's boat at the UW and the next day we renamed that boat and a whole bunch of laser's. For the lasers we used beer and the short form for renaming. For the big boat we used the long form, decent bubbly and threatened to sacrifice the owners 11ish yr old daughter which got some big eyed stares from her and her mother but then we let her douse the boat with bubbly which she found very amusing so I was off the hook with mom.

Whatever you decide, don't pick a name that mocks the ocean or expressed dominance. As an example Peter Blake, a well known world travelling racer, named his last boat 'Seamaster' and he was killed by armed robbers on the boat in Brazil not terribly long (1ish yr) after setting out.

48° Vigor's Interdenominational Boat Denaming Ceremony
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:48   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Sharpies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
Erm, what's a shapie???? At first I thought you might mean a sharp knife, but that probably wouldn't do much for the buoyancy of the life jackets......
A type of very indelible marker found in the US and perhaps elsewhere.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:10   #20

I think it depends on if you are a superstitious person. If you are then renaming might bring bad luck. I would suggest not taking chances and doing the renaming ceremony. At the very least you have created a reason to have a nice party and you may have averted disaster. wink wink nudge nudge....
captainron369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:57   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Just to be on the safe side ....

Sailors Superstitions

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 13:50   #22

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post

My thoughts exactly. If not a design with the new name, then a graphic design that disguises or imprisons the old name.

Or something like that. I'm also changing a boat's name but am not superstitious and feel therefore I will not be subject to anything worse than my own abilities and inadequacies and what is out there. That will be enough to deal with I imagine without importing spirits and mythological beings. I think myths are very important to societies but I don't believe that their subjects are actually there in front of me simply because I can see them in my imagination.

However, if one is superstitious, one can talk oneself off a cliff in a self-fulfilling prophetic sort of way. Good luck. Get out the ink or sharpies or buy a new set of gear.
Old 13-06-2010, 00:22   #23

Boat: 1969 Coronado yacht
Wow! Great responses! Even the snarky one had a good point!

I'm really not a superstitious person at all, but I do have respect for the customs of other cultures than my own. There are tribes in the Amazon that feel that having their picture taken robs them of their souls. Of course I know that's not true, but if I was among them I certainly wouldn't be taking pictures, no matter how tempted. I was really curious about what other people thought of that particular suspicion and what old lore supported it, and there's a lot of good input here!

The boat's current name is Lullabye, which is sweet. But I would really like to name it Odessa, after a character in one of my favorite books (I Know This Much Is True) but also a reference to the journey of sailing itself. An Odyssey is described as: "a long series of wanderings or adventures, esp. when filled with notable experiences, hardships, etc."

Sounds right to me.
Lovelyr3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 00:34   #24

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Out of respect for the boat, I don't think you should rename the boat until you have completed a lot of work on her. After many hours and many disappointments and many setbacks and many victories, you have developed a relationship with the boat and you now deserve to choose her new name, unless you choose "Wet Dream" then you deserve all the heartache you get.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 00:59   #25

Boat: 1969 Coronado yacht
LOL! Good point! I do have a lot of work to do, and I've never been a fan of hasty decisions. Thanks!
Lovelyr3ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 01:15   #26

Location: Australia - the boat is currently in Darwin. We will be heading down into the Kimberly in May, then on down to Perth.
Boat: 46' Aluminium Catamaran
I've changed the name of every boats that I have ever owned. That would be seven boats over 20 years, and never had any trouble that I hadn't got into all by myself. Never noticed any more bad luck than normal.
I love bannanas.
Don't know if we start voyages on a Friday - have never considered it.

Paul
experience only means that you screw-up less often.
Skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 07:06   #27
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeasy View Post
My thoughts exactly. If not a design with the new name, then a graphic design that disguises or imprisons the old name.

Or something like that. .
I've tried and tried, but just can't get through this maze.... Am I missing something???
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 08:26   #28

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
I've tried and tried, but just can't get through this maze.... Am I missing something???
Try getting out. I managed on the second try.

Old 13-06-2010, 08:29   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyr3ta View Post
Wow! Great responses! Even the snarky one had a good point!

I'm really not a superstitious person at all, but I do have respect for the customs of other cultures than my own. There are tribes in the Amazon that feel that having their picture taken robs them of their souls. Of course I know that's not true, but if I was among them I certainly wouldn't be taking pictures, no matter how tempted. I was really curious about what other people thought of that particular suspicion and what old lore supported it, and there's a lot of good input here!

The boat's current name is Lullabye, which is sweet. But I would really like to name it Odessa, after a character in one of my favorite books (I Know This Much Is True) but also a reference to the journey of sailing itself. An Odyssey is described as: "a long series of wanderings or adventures, esp. when filled with notable experiences, hardships, etc."

Sounds right to me.
Which comes from Odysseus of course. Mythic ruler of Ithaca and star of Homer's Odyssey. I do like Greek names for boats. Which has nothing to do with why mine is Honeysuckle

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 08:31   #30
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellum View Post
I've changed the name of every boats that I have ever owned. That would be seven boats over 20 years, and never had any trouble that I hadn't got into all by myself. Never noticed any more bad luck than normal.
Didn't you know? Seven is the maximum times you can ever ever rename a boat, then all hell breaks loose. This is a well known curse and has been proven to be true. Something about "taking 7 days to create the world" sort of things. Can't go over that...
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote