Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 09:43   #31

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Backing Down on a Mooring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm with you on this!!!

I can see there won't be agreement on backing down. I just wonder about what happens if that "test" fails. Now you've broken or dragged someone else's property.

If someone deliberately damaged my property, especially if it were by trying to use a mooring that was not designed for the boat, I'd be upset. I might even consider legal action, although there are places where some folks might take the law into their own hands.
How else is one supposed to know what the mooring is designed to hold? If it's not clearly stated, how else can one know? And if they've clogged up the only anchorage such that there is no other option to anchor, what else are people supposed to do?

These private moorings are tantamount to someone placing pylons on a public city street to block out a permanent parking space only for them. I have little sympathy for those who do this in a way that blocks everyone else from using the space.

As a further note, in Canada it is legal to place a private mooring. But it must be of the proper specifications:

(b) the buoy displays, on opposite sides, the capital letters “PRIV” that are
  • (i) as large as is practical for the size of the buoy, and
  • (ii) white when the background colour is red, green or black;
  • (iii) black when the background colour is white or yellow;
And most importantly:

(d) the buoy displays, in a conspicuous location and in a permanent and legible manner, the name, address and telephone number of its owner;

Without all these things it is not even a legal private mooring. In all my travels and encounters with private moorings, I've probably seen less than a 1/2 dozen that were identified and set up properly.
Old 22-10-2020, 09:51   #32

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Many area of the GBR marine park ban anchoring and require you to use the park moorings.

GBRMPA - Moorings and No-anchoring areas
Having used a few over the last several months they also say not to back down on them and not to be used in any more than 34 knots.
Did not fill me with confidence but only used them in light weather.

What pissed me off in the Whitsundays was idiots in relatively light boats taking the few moorings marked for 20 to 30m vessels while there were still small boat moorings to be had.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:55   #33

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
How else is one supposed to know what the mooring is designed to hold? If it's not clearly stated, how else can one know? .
Moorings "should" be colour coded and marked like in the link above
I know most aren't but it would make sense to.

Quote:
And if they've clogged up the only anchorage such that there is no other option to anchor, what else are people supposed to do?
Find another anchorage.
Prudent seamanship would dictate that you don't park your boat on unknown and unrated gear........especially if it is not yours.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 10:39   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
...Find another anchorage.
Prudent seamanship would dictate that you don't park your boat on unknown and unrated gear........especially if it is not yours.
Prudent seamanship is why you should always test the mooring, even if it claims to be sufficient.

But it's not the commercial, municipal or organizational moorings which are the main problem. These are well known, and some are even properly maintained. It's the private moorings that can crop up with no notice at all. These are the ones that pose the main problem.
Old 22-10-2020, 14:30   #35

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
These private moorings are tantamount to someone placing pylons on a public city street to block out a permanent parking space only for them. I have little sympathy for those who do this in a way that blocks everyone else from using the space.
Exactly!!!

Quote:
As a further note, in Canada it is legal to place a private mooring. But it must be of the proper specifications:
In all my travels and encounters with private moorings, I've probably seen less than a 1/2 dozen that were identified and set up properly.
Moorings in the US are mostly managed by municipalities or state agencies, and the rules are all over the place. Most require some sort of marking, but generally just a name and/or registration number. Would be great to have the requirements Canada has.

But of course even these inconsistent rules are rarely followed here, either. As a side note, as far as I know, the only legal color characteristics for a mooring ball are white with a blue stripe. That's widely ignored, too.

I don't know what the solution is. I know these submerged lands (anchorages) are supposed to be managed as a public trust for equitable use by all citizens here in the US. I also know that's not happening in many places, and things will eventually come to a head. It's too bad none of the boater advocacy groups are pushing this. But I suppose the marine businesses which fund them aren't interested in helping folks anchor out.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 06:50   #36

I suppose it's just like backing down on your anchor, don't over do it!Ron
Ron Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 06:56   #37

Boat: Bavaria 36'

I recently paid for a mooring on a buoy in a fast flowing river. They took £15 for the night stop. I guess if the mooring failed and damage resulted then our insurers would have sought damages from the river authority.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:02   #38

Boat: Norseman 447

The bottom line is that you can’t trust any mooring. There’s a better chance if you designed and installed it, but ....

Once, in Tahiti, I left the boat on a mooring used by a 70’ schooner. I could look down from the surface and see the 1” chain. After a 3-week trip to the US, on my return I went swimming. The float was tied to the chain with three wraps of polypropylene line.

Even if you back down and it holds, that’s no proof that at high tide, with wind and waves over a period of time, that the mooring anchor won’t pull out. That’s why you have anchor(s) and insurance.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:06   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau 410

In general, I'd say it is a good idea. Use about 1/2 throttle.
grantheadifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:10   #40

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We dive or back down on moorings all the time in the Caribbean. Some moorings are a single sand screw, like those at Buck Island off of St. Thomas - marked as day use only. If you dive those moorings you usually see the sand screw pulled halfway out.

Our mooring at St. John, USVI has five 6-foot sand screws connected to each other and the swivel with 1-inch chain. When we return from Grenada I'll dive the mooring and check it just like I do for other moorings. We replace the painters as needed or every two years.

Except where anchoring is prohibited or the harbor does not have swing room, we prefer our ground tackle. We spent hurricane season in Grenada and Carriacou and were anchored out in many different bays. They all had rental moorings that many people preferred. We never drug, but there were a half dozen mooring failures.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:19   #41

Boat: Catalina 22 Sport

Quote:

(b) the buoy displays, on opposite sides, the capital letters “PRIV” that are
  • (i) as large as is practical for the size of the buoy, and
  • (ii) white when the background colour is red, green or black;
  • (iii) black when the background colour is white or yellow;
And most importantly:

(d) the buoy displays, in a conspicuous location and in a permanent and legible manner, the name, address and telephone number of its owner;
Canadians never cease to amaze me. They insist on being reasonable about everything...
lestersails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:58   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDogsLLC View Post
It's not that at all. Some places have only mooring fields to use while there, maybe because the anchorage space is completely full - a great example is Treasure Cay in the Abacos or St Augustine, FL. We usually anchor there, but occasionally the anchorage is full and only mooring balls are available. I was once told that after you took a ball to back down on it to have some confidence in it. It was just something I was thinking about today to pitch to the group, as we anchor probably 95% of the time we are out.

In St Augustine you might choose a mooring field when the anchorage is full so as to gain access to the amenities. Wouldn't it be prudent to back down on the mooring? Idk; that's why I'm asking.
Plus, many places you want to be are National Marine Parks where dropping a hook is verboten! Example: The Pitons at St. Lucia. One of the most gorgeous anchorages ever!
oceanminifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 08:09   #43

Our practice is:

Anchor first.

If not anchoring or mooring is required: dive the mooring.

In emergencies where diving the mooring is not possible, plan on staying on the boat and setting anchor alarms.

Swell, wind, tide and current can all change creating more tension than our 80hp in reverse can create.
Perfect Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 08:11   #44

Reasonable? If I legally install a private mooring, for my own use, you think it’s "reasonable" to require me to mark it so that you know whether it’s appropriate" for you to trespass on. Then if something goes wrong while you’re stealing the use of my mooring, you want me to be responsible. That doesn’t sound so reasonable to me.
Old 26-10-2020, 08:28   #45

+1 for Perfect Ride's post. You’re responsible for the safety of your boat. No mooring is guaranteed safe under all conditions. No provider of moorings is going to guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong.

Tags
mooring