Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2021, 13:39   #46

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Back up portable water filter

Oh I want to mention one very important thing re the Rain Man watermaker. You can only use it out in the sea! Never use it at the dock or in suburbia or it will be ruined! It's only good for converting sea water to RO drinking water in a place where the water looks fairly clean out in the ocean! It's like magic out there though!
Merriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 18:02   #47

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriweather View Post
Oh I want to mention one very important thing re the Rain Man watermaker. You can only use it out in the sea! Never use it at the dock or in suburbia or it will be ruined! It's only good for converting sea water to RO drinking water in a place where the water looks fairly clean out in the ocean! It's like magic out there though!
Sorry, I have to disagree with you. We only use ours at anchor. (rainman 110 volt portable) Typically in less than 10 feet of water. We have even used it in the Chesapeake right out in front of annapolis. You just might need to change the pre filter more often.
However if by sea you mean salt water, then I agree. It is designed to desalinated sea water. Using it in fresh water would not be good for it
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 18:25   #48

Boat: Island Packet 35

You are correct! I do mean one should only use it in saltwater.
Merriweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 18:53   #49

I had a Seagull filter mentioned earlier for years but have switched to the newer and better Pentek FloPlus 10. It meets the same EPA and NSF/ANSI stanard 53 as the Seagull for a fraction of the price and has more than twice the filtering capacity so lasts much longer.l Goes in a standard 10" plastic undersink filter housing.

Note that neither of these will remove all bacteria - a little bit of chlorine (bleach) is still the easiest way to kill bacteria (the filter will remove the chlorine taste). A UV lamp works too but they are hard to use on a boat since the bulb burns out quickly if you turn it on and off too much - if you leave it on all the time it uses a lot of battery.

https://www.amazon.com/Pentek-FloPlu.../dp/B003ZVZ79U
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2021, 19:14   #50

Boat: Morgan 382

I bought the lifestraw for emergency use. It is one of the few filters that will filter out bacteria and viruses, it will actually make water safe. It will not work with salt water, but anything from a stream or unsafe drinking water it will filter out bacteria and viruses. It is slow and only filters a little bit at a time, but I felt it would work for an emergency.

I have never needed it.

https://www.lifestraw.com/products/lifestraw-mission
Old 09-01-2021, 06:15   #51

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I have also used my rainman Watermaker in harbors etc. After reading about Watermaker in general I was concerned about using it in murky water. But the distributor told me it is fine just likely to need a prefilter change or cleaning afterwards. I have done this many times without problems. One thing I will not do however is use it in crowded harbors where people tend to dump holding tanks.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 00:58   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack1112 View Post
Iíve used On The Go water softener only one time so far, and it performed as advertised. Itís very well constructed, and seems like it will last for many years to come. However, the true test will come when itís time to regenerate it with some common table salt. I will update this review if I run into any problems with that effort.
Someone can find more about this product here
Jack1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 06:43   #53

I use Sawyer products gravity water filtration. Clean and delicious water, very good filtration. The only thing to look out for is not to leave it on for too long without cleaning as they can get clogged.
robertt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 06:56   #54

Boat: Rafiki 37

We carry our camp water filter on board. If our tank got contaminated, or it we had to source questionable water from on land, we can filter it using this. Only thing is, it won't work on salt water.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:28   #55

You can use the LifeStraw water filter to filter the water, while saving money on bottled water. I have been using it for a while, the filter is very good, the water has no strange smells and is better than bottled water I was very surprised by that.
robertt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water