Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 12:27   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45
Re: Average Age of all you cruisers out there living on the seas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
1. Age of boat occupants? 78/76

2. Location currently cruising or prefer to cruise?/SW Pacific

3. How many days you cruise per year on average?/365

4. Power boat or sail? Sail, of course

And I just checked: 30 years ago TODAY we cut the docklines and departed Emery Cove marina in SF bay, headed out for good. Thirty years!!!!! Seems like yesterday, except the skipper looked different... brown hair and all that.

Damn... thirty years...

Jim
Congratulations, & celebrations ........as Cliff Richard would sing. Very best to you both, here. Is to the next thirty.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:09   #62

Re: Average Age of all you cruisers out there living on the seas?

We are in the move on the boat mode. Retired, mid 60's. Purchased a 1986 50 ft cruiser. Needed some TLC but nicely laid out. 2 full staterooms with 2 full baths. Only one helm. Brought her from Rhode Island to Bradenton FL. Plan to leave here beginning of April for the Great Loop. We have planned 1 year for this 5700 mile trip.
JoJoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:50   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I had my 70th birthday one week ago today and I had bought my first sailboat when I was 16. I moved aboard a 30' sloop with my wife when we were 25 and we began cruising the next year when I was 26.

Most of our cruising was limited to about three months of each year until we retired at 55, but for the last 15 years we've been cruising pretty much full time.

My Daughter is living on a trawler with her family,- she started cruising as a baby.

We poke about in the best of weather from Maine to the Bahamas and into the Gulf of Mexico. We love our lives, but we don't really know of much else.
Old 25-10-2016, 15:53   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Remember that sailing a well found cruising boat doesn't take physical strength. Just experience - and, sometimes, a bit of simple equipment. In fact, if you have to exert yourself significantly, you are prolly doing something wrong :-)!

TrentePieds
This is the last thing you would " probably" want to do if cruising at an advanced age......not exert yourself.

All of us older folks must try and use our bodies like we did when we were 7-14 years old.

I try to run at least a few miles a week, do pull ups, pushups, stretch, do yoga etc

Check this mild mannered yoga dude. He'll kick your ass while he quietly talks you through it

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 16:17   #65

Boat: Cheoy Lee PH43

Grew up on a sailboat in the Pacific till age 20 and then became a muggle for the next 35 years (career. marriage, kids..)

Became a liveaboard nearly 2 years ago at age 55.

My brother did same when he turned 55.

Our parents migrated to a catamaran and finally ashore in their 70's (actually an RV & 2 year circumnavigation of Australia).

The lady living on the Cat next to me is 87 and leaving this week with a 70+ crewmember for the Bahamas.... a trip she has done dozens of times.

Nearby there's a 75 yo lady who has been cruising alone since her husband died many years ago.
Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 16:35   #66

Quote: "This is the last thing you would " probably" want to do if cruising at an advanced age......not exert yourself."

Dif'rent approach, same result :-) Of COURSE you should stay in shape. Lotsa ways of doing that.

My argument is simply that the boat should be set up so you don't ABSOLUTELY have to stretch yourself to the limit to do humdrum things like weighing anchor or reefing sail.

The OP seemed to have concerns that advancing geezerhood means kissing sailing goodbye. Far from it! Brains occasionally substitute for brawn :-)

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 16:41   #67

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Quote: "This is the last thing you would " probably" want to do if cruising at an advanced age......not exert yourself."

Dif'rent approach, same result :-) Of COURSE you should stay in shape. Lotsa ways of doing that.

My argument is simply that the boat should be set up so you don't ABSOLUTELY have to stretch yourself to the limit to do humdrum things like weighing anchor or reefing sail.

The OP seemed to have concerns that advancing geezerhood means kissing sailing goodbye. Far from it! Brains occasionally substitute for brawn :-)

TrentePieds
Old 25-10-2016, 16:51   #68

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:

TrentePieds
Okay, thanks.

I'll defer to your expert advice and hope I can still be sailing at age 77!
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 10:28   #69

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

My boyfriend and I are both 28. We left Knoxville tn 4 months ago and are currently cruising the FL panhandle (PCB) as we wait for our weather window to head south to st Pete. We plan on continuing south to the keys, Caribbean, etc. We are full time cruising and taking it nice and slow the first year as we figure things out. We've got enough saved for 5 years, but could go longer (or shorter) if we love or hate it. So far really enjoying it! We are in a sailboat (aloha 34).
cgrabens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 11:06   #70

Good on you! We regret we didn't go at your age.
Training Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 11:28   #71

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Just cruising gives you loads in common with folk of all ages.
. That is so right on!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 12:09   #72

Boat: a sailing boat

So what is the average age posted by now?

Mind the sample is biased: most cruisers were born before the Internet while others are simply too old to write.

It is mostly old, rich people kinda sport.

No?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 18:02   #73

Boat: Sold Catalina 250

It appears there are more younger cruisers than I expected 40's and early 50's. The message , go now is workng.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 18:50   #74

Boat: Cape Dory 33

1. Age of boat occupants?

66 and 62

2. Location currently cruising or prefer to cruise?

We retired on June 30, spent the summer completing refit and equipping the boat, just left Baltimore on Oct 12 headed south on the ICW

3. How many days you cruise per year on average?

We just started so actual number of days underway per year is impossible to say at this point, but we are full time live aboards now and the cruising lifestyle is full time for us.

4. Power boat or sail?

Sail
Old 29-10-2016, 18:59   #75

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
So what is the average age posted by now?

Mind the sample is biased: most cruisers were born before the Internet while others are simply too old to write.

It is mostly old, rich people kinda sport.

No?

b.
Not really. It does seem the younger people have careers that have given them the ability to work remotely, cruise 5 years or less on savings and, thus may be better off than some of their peers. But I see quite a few comments from older people cruising on SS (social security for the non-US folk). I don't think either group can be called "rich".

Coming from a background that encouged in the box thinking, I know it was a suprise to me that one can cruise well on comparitively modest means. Sure, many people have big funds, but not all. "Poverty mindset" seems to account for the vast amounts of people who forgo dreams (on land) but the same funds can be used to get around the world if one desires.

On second thought, even modest means to a westerner is a great fortune for much of the world. The difference in being "poor with a boat" and being "a well off cruiser" is point of view really.

Tags
cruise, cruiser