Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 10:19   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Australia

Researching some safe, inexpensive marinas in Eastern Australia. Ideas ?
Intrepid59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 14:37   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Australia

Inexpensive and Australia do not play well together these days... in any category.

You might give us a bit more info, things like type of boat, draft required, live aboard full time or not, power or sail and so on. All such things help determine what sort of marina will do.

And "eastern Australia' covers a couple of thousand miles of coast and three states, each with different rules and regs, population centers and climates.

Jim
Old 01-05-2017, 14:50   #3

Boat: Islander 36

Thanks Jim. Intrepid is 36 foot sailboat with a 6 foot draft. Probably go from New Caledonia to Bundaberg as far south at Sydney. No live aboard, just a safe marina or hard to leave for several months until I return for another adventure.
Intrepid59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 15:13   #4

Bundaberg Port Marina have recently extended there dry storage are due to demand, it's very popular with those doing the same as you...

My boat's been based here since 2012 and can highly recommend it for any number of reasons...

Send them an email and tell them what you would like, there very accommodating and great to work with, I believe a discount is also available if dry storing longer than 8 weeks...

Bundaberg Port Marina » Bundaberg Port Marina – Deep water access, all weather, all tides

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 15:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid59 View Post
Thanks Jim. Intrepid is 36 foot sailboat with a 6 foot draft. Probably go from New Caledonia to Bundaberg as far south at Sydney. No live aboard, just a safe marina or hard to leave for several months until I return for another adventure.
OK, that helps! There are some "marinas" that lie up shallow esstuaries/creeks, populated mostly by multihulls, and they are somewhat less expensive than mainstream enterprises...

If you are willing to extend your horizon to Tasmania, there are less expensive options there, for instance the Prince of Wales marina in Hobart and the Kermandie marina near Port Huon. Both of these have good protection; neither are convenient if you don't have a car.

If you are willing to store on the hard, there is one in Port Stephens (can't remember the name) that has good hardstand areas and is less expensive than in the water storage in that area. The marina a Yamba, at the mouth of the Clarence river in NSW is welYl protected and has hardstand storage. Neither of these places are convenient to air transport, but Yamba has access to shops, etc by foot.

You should check rates via the internet to get a feeling for the market. to me, it seems quite steep, but I'm a noted cheapskate!

Jim
Old 01-05-2017, 15:55   #6

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid59 View Post
Researching some safe, inexpensive marinas in Eastern Australia. Ideas ?
Tough question.

Eastern Australia is about 3000 miles long and more if you want to count Tasmania.

Bundaberg to Sydney is a mere snip at 1000 miles or so.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 19:22   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Another thing to check is whether you are allowed to live on the hard for a couple of days or even one day before you re-launch.

Yamba Marina will move your boat to the water for you so you can re-commence living aboard, or to the work area, where you also can stay aboard while you work on the boat to get it ready to go back in the water, if you are planning to do the bottom paint prior to re-launch.

Once you've checked all the marinas in which you think you might be interested, we could come back with more comments about stuff like what's in walking distance, if there are other services, and so forth. We tend to leave our boat in the water, rather than on the hard, and if you do that, you'll want a friend to come air the boat and run the engine from time to time.

Ann
Old 01-05-2017, 22:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

If you are willing to store on the hard, there is one in Port Stephens (can't remember the name) that has good hardstand areas and is less expensive than in the water storage in that area.

Jim
Oyster cove marina?

Another cheap hardstand option, not far from Brisbane is Monty's marina, on the caboolture river. Don't be surprised if you hear"Duelling Banjos" in the background....

It's also worth checking the Boat works long term hardstand price. They can be amazingly reasonable for such a fantastic facility. Don't forget to check haulout and launching costs too!

Also ask if there's a "shaggers" discount. It refers to the Shag Islet Cruising Yacht Club, a for charity organization, with a $70 one off membership which entitles you to significant discounts up and down the coast. Very much worth joining!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:30   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

I found Ivory marina Tweed river very resononable, $210/week for my 47footer. Im currently in Port Douglas, $362/week, Cairns $460!!!!!!!........thus I thought The ivory was great.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:08   #10

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Oyster cove marina?

Another cheap hardstand option, not far from Brisbane is Monty's marina, on the caboolture river. Don't be surprised if you hear"Duelling Banjos" in the background....
Yeah it's a bit like that but the prices are good. $520pcm for hardstand on a 36'er is hard to beat. You'll need to get a mud map for the river from the management and come in on a high tide but it's not rocket surgery.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I found Ivory marina Tweed river very resononable, $210/week for my 47footer. Im currently in Port Douglas, $362/week, Cairns $460!!!!!!!........thus I thought The ivory was great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Yeah it's a bit like that but the prices are good. $520pcm for hardstand on a 36'er is hard to beat. You'll need to get a mud map for the river from the management and come in on a high tide but it's not rocket surgery.
Ummm... Prince of Wales Bay marina in Hobart: 12 meter berth 355 Aud/month, less for longer stays. This is a nice, new marina with deep water access, good protection (and a lousy location if you don't have a car).

Just as contrast to the hard to beat Monty's or reasonable Tweed river!

Jim
Old 02-05-2017, 02:45   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ummm... Prince of Wales Bay marina in Hobart: 12 meter berth 355 Aud/month, less for longer stays. This is a nice, new marina with deep water access, good protection (and a lousy location if you don't have a car).

Just as contrast to the hard to beat Monty's or reasonable Tweed river!

Jim
$355/month!!!!!.....I'm obviously at the wrong end of the country. The prices are crazy up here, marlin marina in Cairns was half empty. Greed is alive and well. I'm only in the marina as its easier to do final prep for trip.....oh and just for a bonus there's a croc that comes into the marina!!#! seen him twice now.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
$355/month!!!!!.....I'm obviously at the wrong end of the country. The prices are crazy up here, marlin marina in Cairns was half empty. Greed is alive and well. I'm only in the marina as its easier to do final prep for trip.....oh and just for a bonus there's a croc that comes into the marina!!#! seen him twice now.
Yep, there are many attractions in Tassie, but no crocs to entertain folks in the marinas!

Hope you get away soon... before you run out of cash. We stayed a week in the Marlin a few years ago. It was chockers then, and the prices were on a par with Moreton Bay. Guess things have changed... and anchoring in the river was dicey with wind against tide and lots of moorings.

Jim

Tags
Australia