Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2020, 07:57   #1

Boat: Catamaran between 38 and 46 ft.
Art.

Hello fellow cruisers.
When I get my catamaran (40-45ft), I am interested to keep some of my art work aboard. My favourite painting is 24” X 36” and is considered rare from the artist, ( it is worth a few dinghys!). Several catamarans have enough wall space (hull space?) to hang the painting. Is it safe to hang art work considering changes in climate and humidity?
Cathominem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:07   #2

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Art.

Like all boat questions, the answer is "it depends." What kind of art work? A bronze sculpture, probably fine. A charcoal sketch on rice paper, not so much.

In addition to humidity, consider the very serious damage from sunlight.

All in all, (assuming a flat art work) I would leave the valuable original ashore in a safe place and commission a high quality photographic reproduction to enjoy on your boat.

My experience, even on dry well maintained boats, keeping paper, natural fibers, leather, etc. in perfect condition for long periods is impossible, or at least not at all certain.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:49   #3

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Art.

In a word, No. Humidity and UV sunlight are the most obvious problems. UV might be minimized with UV Blocking glass. You haven’t mentioned what materials the artwork is made of. Works on paper would be most susceptible but paint on canvas is also damages by moisture. Artists canvases are generally only sealed on one side with a substrate or primer like gesso. Cotton Duck is the common canvas for paintings. Acrylic paint on an impervious structure like plexiglass or synthetic canvas like Dacron sailcloth might not be water damaged.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:01   #4

It is a painting, 24” X 36” acrylic on canvas. It will not be affected directly by sunlight and because of its size, I can get it hermetically sealed! I said it was worth a few dinghys, more like a new Lexus! I want to keep it for symbolic and monetary value.
Old 11-05-2020, 15:24   #5

Art.

Acrylic paint gives you a better situation than oils would. Talk to your framer or the original artist and ask if you can seal the back side of the canvas without affecting the painting. Or,as you say, hermetically sealed should should keep the moisture out. Only you know the value of the painting to you, beyond the Lexus value. Only you know how much of a risk you are willing to take with it.

I paint portraits on commission. They are intended to tell the person’s story for many generations not just the life time of the subject. A valuable painting should be treated as a treasure to be handed down for generations and conserved. Most things on a boat have a usable life span measured in duty cycles.
Old 11-05-2020, 18:08   #6

Thanks Tayana42!
FYI, the artist is Corno and she passed away a few years ago. I have had the painting appraised and it has become quite valuable since most of her artwork is 6’ X 10’ and bigger. The small size makes it perfect for a boat. It will most likely be the only work of art on my future boat.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:06   #7

I was not familiar with the artist Joanne Corneau known as Corno. Her large scale post pop art style is interesting and would liven up the interior of a catamaran. Enjoy your favorite piece of art and your sailing. Fair winds.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:33   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Much depends on what substrate it is. Paper (drawings, photo) or canvas (acrylic or oil paintings) for example absolutely HATE sea conditions.

BTW for a 24x36 you will need some viewing distance. Make sure the cat you buy has it.

We sold some of our photography to a discerning owner of one newly furnished Oyster yacht, about 8 years ago. We discussed this with the printer and then with a museum curator, then decided to place the pieces under a special glass, with an airtight backing. Then we sealed the edges, and only then we framed the works. We used special grade materials called non-chlorine, non-acidic, etc. art museum grade.

But if your piece is paint on canvas, it may be impossible to protect it this much.

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 12:38   #9

Have just looked up Jeanne Corneau. Very interesting indeed.

What happens if you leave the original work at home and take away a very very well made print of it?

A top notch quality print can be had in this size at less than 1k, professionally framed.

Off course, you run into copyright issues, but perhaps this can be arranged with the holder?

b.
Old 12-05-2020, 13:45   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We've had a watercolor on paper (16x28") up for 8 yrs and still looks good/no damage. Besides matting/framing, nothing special was done to it. While it was a signed piece and colorful, it wasn't expensive. We also don't get a much direct sunlight either and don't know if that would damage your art piece.
I might be a little worried if the piece was as expensive as you have suggested. The added personal property insurance just for the art could bump up your premium to a huge amount. Then there is the question, would they even cover it w/a normal marine insurance?
If it were me I'd leave it in a safe place and take a copy. Could also do a digital copy for large digital picture frame, then you could rotate your art.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070928.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	214956  
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 16:29   #11

Hello Barnakiel! It may be an option since I have a revenue property, I will most likely rent my place (while I’m on the Catamaran 6 months of the year). I am just worried about tenants noticing the original art work and you know...
Alternatively, I may place it back at the original art gallery for show.
Old 12-05-2020, 16:34   #12

thanks Bill O! Your boat is beautiful and so is the art work! I like your insurance comments, something to consider! Always loved “marine art” but that was for the home or country house, non-marine art is to remind me of home while I’m on the boat!
Old 13-05-2020, 06:56   #13

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I have a bunch of canvas paintings hung throughout the boat... they seem to hold up fine. I have them screwed into my bulkhead with multiple screws so they do not swing while underway.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 07:50   #14

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathominem View Post
thanks Bill O! Your boat is beautiful and so is the art work! I like your insurance comments, something to consider! Always loved “marine art” but that was for the home or country house, non-marine art is to remind me of home while I’m on the boat!
Thanks for the complements. As you can see a mono can be fairly roomy/comfortable in the size you are looking to purchase. Since we don't need to worry as much about weight, we can have real wood through out which also adds more subtle beauty!
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 17:33   #15

In case the piece cannot be screwed down for any reason, four small pads of 3M heavy duty velcro (hook-on-hook also named dual-lock) tape can be used to fit the frame to the surface.

We used something like this:
https://kk.org/cooltools/files/2005/...00-936x936.jpg

Cheers,
b.