Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2019, 13:27   #76
cruiser

Re: Are live-aboard's really treated this way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Thanks for such a polite response. It is perfectly true that I have no first hand information on this having never visited a marina in the USA. As I stated this is a perspective from outside based on news reports. I though some people may be interested in what could be a wider perspective to the issue. It may of course be that then US media, international media and the academic community are miss-reporting what is going on and giving a distorted view. Some commentators certainly seem to think that is the case.
So in other words.... you don't know what you're talking about.

We presently have full employment here in the USA despite what academia and the talking heads think. Plenty of work to go around and economic prosperity, the rest of the world should hop on board instead of criticizing. Most of what you read is pure jealousy; I could easily work two full-time jobs here if I felt like it.

I was in Boston last week, with all the new construction going on, there must be an additional 50,000 people employed and working daily in the city just doing the construction work alone, not to mention all the peripheral jobs. I'll bet your media isn't covering that...
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2019, 06:29   #77
cruiser

Here, take a drive through the Boston waterfront district, just in case you don’t believe me regarding the construction; and this is just one part of Boston, and..... Boston is just one city in the USA.

Basically, anyone who wants a job or two can get a job.

Old 28-03-2019, 18:31   #78

Boat: EDELCAT33

Location, location
I here in Miami you can live aboard in a mooring, in some county marinas. The issue is that many people buy a delerick boat to live aboard and never sail them
So is a spiral to trouble for the owner of the marina or dock
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2019, 20:29   #79
Marine Service Provider

living on board what are the rules for showering on deck? is the water considered grey water, of course no nudity, and what if it is raining are I am using only rain watr and soap?
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 07:12   #80

Boat: Ovni 37 Sonate

In my opinion if the marina has showers you dont shower on deck. Nobody wants to see you all soaped up scrubbing yourself down on deck. Use the showers. Go for a sail and enjoy the shower in privacy if its raining- way more fun that way!

If you worried about who has used those showers, request a schedule of the cleaning times and go immediately after they are cleaned. If the showers are gross and not maintained in general- perhaps you live in a marina where soaping up on deck is appropriate.

In the summers I have certainly soaked down with the hose to cool off, but you dont swim, (gross anyway- you know not everyone uses the pump-outs) and dont soap up and shower.

When washing the boat down, my wife and I use a non-toxic marine life safe cleaner like "Simple Green" or equivalent.
Old 13-04-2019, 19:29   #81

Boat: 1984 Carver 32 ft or more with the swim bar

Please, Where can you renta a slip for that cheap? Not here in So Cal! Trying to Find one now... Any referals? I wanted to post here but I dont see where?
KathyinCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 19:37   #82
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarhyinCa View Post
Please, Where can you renta a slip for that cheap? Not here in So Cal! Trying to Find one now... Any referals? I wanted to post here but I dont see where?
We found it to be much cheaper to keep the boat in an excellent marine in Italy and fly back and forth, rather than keep the boat in Southern California and pay the taxes and slip fees.

I'm not kidding... less than half the cost including air fare.
Old 14-04-2019, 04:18   #83

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
Able to relocate? Need to stay within a reasonable area of Tarpon Springs, FL at the moment, currently work at one of the hospitals, but plan to change hospitals in the near future after my contract here is done, so will be able to move and possibly match a better area with better liveaboard options in the future, since potentials for jobs are very common along the coastline as a Registered Nurse.
To the OP,

You might consider Twin Dolphin Marina or Regatta Pointe Marina, if you might find employment at Manatee Memorial Hospital. Both of those allow liveaboards. However, expect it to be expensive, a couple we know were paying $1000.00 a month at Regatta Pointe for a 38' Island Packet.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 05:31   #84

Wow, we must be lucky. SW Florida and we live aboard at a small Marina with 45 slips, electric, fresh water, showers, laundry, pump out. We have been treated very well by both marina people and other live aboards.

This is going to be our home marina from where we make our excursions from and have a place to come back to after several days out.

Have not seen any boats with junk or over loaded with personal stuff on deck. No broken down vehicles stuffed with junk.

We pay a reasonable fee for our 42' Jefferson.

No fuel or lift but several of each close by.
Rondalw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 07:16   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I might stay in one place for months, but I'm never a liveaboard. I'm a cruiser passing through, just slowly.
This was always my best strategy too. I often arrived paying for a week and then, having presented my family and my vessel, arranged for a monthly rate. I would agree that the availability of liveaboard slips has diminished in areas such a South Florida, but I found limitations for liveaboards back in the 1970's and '80's too. Even a marina that posts a non-liveaboard policy often accepts long term stays for "full-time cruisers" that arrive in a sound vessel and making payments.
Old 14-04-2019, 08:42   #86

Quote:
I might stay in one place for months, but I'm never a liveaboard. I'm a cruiser passing through, just slowly.
Quote:
I often arrived paying for a week and then, having presented my family and my vessel, arranged for a monthly rate.
I wondered about Sailorboy's statement. Has every marina agreed to/allowed this? When do you actually stop paying the nightly transient fee and get the monthly fee? Do you just ask for a monthly rate?

When cruising we don't stay at marinas very often, usually only two or three days unless the weather is bad. But paying the transient rate has kept us away more times than not.
Old 14-04-2019, 09:46   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I wondered about Sailorboy's statement. Has every marina agreed to/allowed this? When do you actually stop paying the nightly transient fee and get the monthly fee? Do you just ask for a monthly rate?

When cruising we don't stay at marinas very often, usually only two or three days unless the weather is bad. But paying the transient rate has kept us away more times than not.

Actually Yes! Taking a transient slip for a few days allows the harbormaster to get to know you and your boat. I've had harbormasters offer me a liveaboard slip when I asked about slip availability. I might have a slightly easier time at that though.

Most liveaboard boats never leave a slip and yes many harbormasters don't want "liveaboards". But cruisers, that is folks that take the boat out or stay for a few months are generally welcomed. Of course this is only if they have slips available.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2019, 09:53   #88

Quote:
Actually Yes! Taking a transient slip for a few days allows the harbormaster to get to know you and your boat.
The wife and I were just talking about this, and come to realize the longest time we ever spent in any one marina has been three days.........

It's a foreign concept to go back to the office and ask for the longer term rate