Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 07:25   #16

Boat: Ericson 36C
Re: Replace Mattresses in Owner's Berth ? Any Recommendations ?

We used a company called Artisan's Mattress. They aren't located in Florida but shhipped them our cut out measurements and they shipped us back the mattress. It fit perfectly. The Temper-Pedic foam actually allows for air to flow through and it's not hot at all! We sleep like a dream every night! It was well worth every penny!

Wrote a blog about it Sweet Dreams « San~San Adventures

http://www.artisansmattress.com/index.html
Crazy4Cruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 09:02   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20man View Post
I can not say enough good about "Handcraft Mattress Company" and my dealings with Brian Ogle. I believe they have a Florida office...

Excellent..

Web site is : HandCraft Mattress Company

Disclaimer: My relationship with HMC is as a VERY satisfied customer...

Good luck
+2 After 4 years, we still love our HMC mattress. They aren't cheap, and we were hesitant at first, but well worth it. If you're in Ft. Lauderdale, they will even deliver, put it where you want it, and take away your old one.

We have also had memory foam, and while they are quite good, we think the HMC is better.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 09:20   #18

We tried a memory foam topper on teh last boat and it was great... but I did think it seemed warmer, like hot spots, for some reason. Maybe put a 1"-2" regular foam topper on the memory foam?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 03:43   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 - Times like these. Port: Mooloolaba, Australia

We put a 2 inch memory foam layer on top of the regular mattress in our Lagoon, and are very happy with the results.
Old 10-11-2011, 13:48   #20

Send a message via AIM to Drako198 Send a message via MSN to Drako198 Send a message via Yahoo to Drako198
Post Re: Replace Mattresses in Owner's Berth ? Any Recommendations ?

Why not have a Tempur Pedic mattress instead. I guess it's more suitable for you and the family .
Old 10-11-2011, 14:09   #21

Another vote for toppers. Cheap so you can throw them away. You can also experiment with different firmness and foam types. Cut easily to size with scissors. Look for high quality toppers from large foam suppliers. Really cheap foam doesn't hold up.

I like cool mattresses so I avoid the memory foam. Latex is a great option because it breathes and is quite mildew resistant. Some latex has a bit of a smell but others don't. Latex is pricey. I'd also get the topper that's like an egg crate to increase airflow. It does seem to make things cooler.

I think you'll find that a good 2"-3" topper thrown on top of your current mattress will make a world of difference.

Finally, the topper is so cheap that we don't use any sort of mattress cover. We plan to throw it away if it gets gross. I find mattress covers often pick up smells, feel damp, and are very hard to wash in any marina size machine.

I got this one for less than $50 delivered.

http://www.amazon.com/Duro-Med-Convo...f=pd_sim_hpc_5

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 16:32   #22

We added the 3" memory foam mattress topper for our B361 a couple of months ago, best addition yet. Got it at overstock.com for $110, bought the queen size and works out great. You'll notice a world of difference with it.
Luken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 15:54   #23

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
Re: Any Recommendations for Replacing Mattresses in Owner's Berth ?

Any one out there ever tried an air mattress? With the V corners folded up of course. My foam mattress kills my back. Even though I have upgraded it twice.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 17:34   #24

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker
Any one out there ever tried an air mattress? With the V corners folded up of course. My foam mattress kills my back. Even though I have upgraded it twice.
I had a 32' with a king & had a air matress, most comfortable boat I have ever slept on. The center line queen on my 3870 has a 3" topper on it and I sleep well but the air matress was great.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2011, 13:19   #25
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I too recommend the memory form topper. We once replaced a v-berth mattress in FLL. Went to an upholstery company where we were shown a variety of foam thickness and density. Had the foam cut to fit, then sewed up the fabric cover. Now, though, we just replace the topper, not the mattress. Exception: if mildew gets into foam, it has to be discarded.
Old 07-12-2011, 22:26   #26

Location: New Zealand originally, but now Malaysia & Thailand
Boat: Kendall 32, Daemon

I love our Froli springs. We put them under our old tired mattress and it has made it extremely comfortable, and now that the mattress is raised, it helps cool things down and keeps the underside dry and the mildew out.
Old 07-12-2011, 23:07   #27

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtdaemon
I love our Froli springs. We put them under our old tired mattress and it has made it extremely comfortable, and now that the mattress is raised, it helps cool things down and keeps the underside dry and the mildew out.
Second the Froli
Hotel L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 23:31   #28

Boat: Bollard Steel 40ft - Lady Kara
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Sunseeker
I won't sleep on anything else. Friends laugh at me when I do the motel thing and I pull out of my bag the air mattress and pump. Guess who is complaining of sore backs in the morning? Taint me! I use Coleman brand as I tend to find it lasts longer especially when I am sharing my bed with my mate. I also put an blanket over the top of the mattress to protect from the claws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3578095622.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	308.4 KB
ID:	34553  
Coachbolt61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 23:49   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachbolt61

I won't sleep on anything else. Friends laugh at me when I do the motel thing and I pull out of my bag the air mattress and pump. Guess who is complaining of sore backs in the morning? Taint me! I use Coleman brand as I tend to find it lasts longer especially when I am sharing my bed with my mate. I also put an blanket over the top of the mattress to protect from the claws.
I am so glad that post had a picture of a dog attached. My mind was definitely heading elsewhere...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:36   #30
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

I do canvas work and my current project boat will have a inner spring mattress whith Hi density 40 lb foam wedges on the edge to take up the angle portion. On the bottom a plastic honeycomb will be fitted to keep it off the surface should it become wet . A down removeable pillow top wil be over memory foam. The cost of materials is nominal if you feel you can take on the project by yourself. Rochfordsupply.com (No affilliation not my preferrred supplier) has good consumer prices with a minimal order and has everything youd need.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote