Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 17:24   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,297
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

The Spencer is on craigslist for 17,500
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...634228357.html
She needs a wash and polish.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 17:52   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Vancouver, Wa
Boat: Nautilus, 37'
Posts: 13
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
if you want I can take swing by and give you s hand getting her running .
Pm sent
I shot you a message! That would be great haha. put in a new starter, but now my control panel on my helm isnt even giving me warning lights or letting me start.... I know i put the starter in right cause I shocked myself and it spun up...
__________________
-Brandon G.
"Going through life without a goal is like trying to sail without wind" www.functioningvet.com
Bgonzalez262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:33   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 54
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
Yeah, I was medically discharged.

I tried sailing a number of times over the years, but didn't get the itch until I did a liveaboard dive trip. Living on the sailboat for a week in the Bahamas kinda sealed it for me. I've always loved the ocean and the water (one of the reasons I went in the Navy actually), and I enjoyed sailing every time I'd done it, I just didn't ever think of it as a lifestyle that a person could have until I woke up on a boat in the Exumas.
Blackbeards?
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:51   #19
Registered User
 
jlcnuke's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 97
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Blackbeards?
Yes. I'm going on Cat Ppalu in September as well.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:56   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: dusty plains
Boat: someone elses
Posts: 54
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
Yes. I'm going on Cat Ppalu in September as well.
Nice. Sorry for the sidetrack. Your post just reminded me of why I feel in love with sailing. RIP Pirate's Lady.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 19:03   #21
Registered User
 
jlcnuke's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Acworth, GA
Posts: 97
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Nice. Sorry for the sidetrack. Your post just reminded me of why I feel in love with sailing. RIP Pirate's Lady.

jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:06   #22
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 454
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgonzalez262 View Post
After my second deployment, I found I wasn't happy. I sold everything after my divorce and bought my nautilus 37 pilothouse and moved aboard for a short time and loved it. I was finally in my happy place. Well, fast forward to now. I got married and live back on the hard and have not started cruising or living aboard again. Does anyone else have this itch to get back on the water? I recently quit my job, started writing, and designing web pages so I can do what I think I was meant to do. Now I just have to convince my wife....

Im just curious, do other vets out there share this urge with me? What about spouses trying to convince their better halves to start this adventure?

My strategy is to plan everything out and show her that it all will work out. Im going to do that by blogging and working remotely while writing up a semi detailed plan of what I want to do. Any other pointers on how to convince her? Any other vets need help to enjoy this freedom? Thanks!
goin full time liveaboard in couple months.. navy '72-'73
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:10   #23
Registered User
 
powsmias's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Jersey
Boat: Pearson 35 #285
Posts: 454
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgonzalez262 View Post
After my second deployment, I found I wasn't happy. I sold everything after my divorce and bought my nautilus 37 pilothouse and moved aboard for a short time and loved it. I was finally in my happy place. Well, fast forward to now. I got married and live back on the hard and have not started cruising or living aboard again. Does anyone else have this itch to get back on the water? I recently quit my job, started writing, and designing web pages so I can do what I think I was meant to do. Now I just have to convince my wife....

Im just curious, do other vets out there share this urge with me? What about spouses trying to convince their better halves to start this adventure?

My strategy is to plan everything out and show her that it all will work out. Im going to do that by blogging and working remotely while writing up a semi detailed plan of what I want to do. Any other pointers on how to convince her? Any other vets need help to enjoy this freedom? Thanks!
This came up on facebook awhile ago.. maybe this will splain it better for her..
Life is incredibly short.
We take everything we were born with to the grave, i.e. nothing.
All the houses/cars/money/social position we covet and struggle and waste our lives for mean zip at the end, which comes all too soon.
WTF do you want to do with your life?
This is basic philosophy 101 and to me it means live it to the fullest, every day an adventure.
Security is an evil illusion that does not exist except in the profit margin of those who sell it to you by exploiting fear of death and the unknown.
'Oh, you need a house, and home insurance and life insurance and health insurance and a better car and new clothes and a bigger TV and a more impressive job title' and on and on and on so get to work to pay for it!
Go ahead, sell the short hours of life to the bankers, landlords, car dealers and profit takers, or wrench it out of their hands and spend it in your own joy and amazement in our wonderful world.
A sailboat is a subversive thing, and offers true freedom, with all the uncertainty and self reliance and potential for daily disaster that come along with same.
Not for wimps..

good luck bro
__________________
www.eddiethelock.com
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:34   #24
Registered User
 
Cadence's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SC
Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Posts: 9,386
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My wife and I are vets and we live on the boat.

But for the OP I would start by asking her. Then if she isn't hip to it find out why and see what comprises you can work out. If it comes to "talking her into it" you might want to just talking about as ex-wife #2
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 21:03   #25
Registered User
 
Bundyon's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Coffs Harbour Australia
Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)
Posts: 69
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
This came up on facebook awhile ago.. maybe this will splain it better for her..
Life is incredibly short.
We take everything we were born with to the grave, i.e. nothing.
All the houses/cars/money/social position we covet and struggle and waste our lives for mean zip at the end, which comes all too soon.
WTF do you want to do with your life?
This is basic philosophy 101 and to me it means live it to the fullest, every day an adventure.
Security is an evil illusion that does not exist except in the profit margin of those who sell it to you by exploiting fear of death and the unknown.
'Oh, you need a house, and home insurance and life insurance and health insurance and a better car and new clothes and a bigger TV and a more impressive job title' and on and on and on so get to work to pay for it!
Go ahead, sell the short hours of life to the bankers, landlords, car dealers and profit takers, or wrench it out of their hands and spend it in your own joy and amazement in our wonderful world.
A sailboat is a subversive thing, and offers true freedom, with all the uncertainty and self reliance and potential for daily disaster that come along with same.
Not for wimps..

good luck bro

Love it mate, do u mind if i copy it?

I'm a Vet' retired on a Military Pension (T.P.I. Ret' Submariner) I guess there is a few Vet's here in Oz that are living on their boats, but I think we are few & far between! My boat is on the Hard atm, hopefully splash it sometime in August and sail it back down the East coast to my home port. I will then be living on her full time. My Partner lives in the Netherlands, hopefully immigrating here next March. She had her doubts about living onboard, she was worried about a myriad of things. So I asked her to watch a few YouTube vid's on sailing, talk to her work colleagues etc etc. She started warming to the idea. Well she came out to Oz a couple of months back, we drove the 1000 kilometres to where my boat is. We spent two weeks living on the boat on the Hard as well as a couple of mates who had come up to help out. While we prepped and painted the boat, my girl got to cleaning & scrubbing the inside & generally tidying up. (Boat has been on the Hard for 12 years!). She cooked meals in the galley every morning & night, made countless cups of coffee for the lads & myself. She has fallen in love with the boat & now can't wait to live onboard! She just can't get used to Nautical terms & keeps calling her Galley the Kitchen!! lol
__________________
Everybody Dies.....Not Everybody Lives !!
Awww c'mon...I'm Not Feeling the Luv!!
D.B.F. !
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 21:09   #26
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,297
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyon View Post
Love it mate, do u mind if i copy it?

I'm a Vet' retired on a Military Pension (T.P.I. Ret' Submariner) I guess there is a few Vet's here in Oz that are living on their boats, but I think we are few & far between! My boat is on the Hard atm, hopefully splash it sometime in August and sail it back down the East coast to my home port. I will then be living on her full time. My Partner lives in the Netherlands, hopefully immigrating here next March. She had her doubts about living onboard, she was worried about a myriad of things. So I asked her to watch a few YouTube vid's on sailing, talk to her work colleagues etc etc. She started warming to the idea. Well she came out to Oz a couple of months back, we drove the 1000 kilometres to where my boat is. We spent two weeks living on the boat on the Hard as well as a couple of mates who had come up to help out. While we prepped and painted the boat, my girl got to cleaning & scrubbing the inside & generally tidying up. (Boat has been on the Hard for 12 years!). She cooked meals in the galley every morning & night, made countless cups of coffee for the lads & myself. She has fallen in love with the boat & now can't wait to live onboard! She just can't get used to Nautical terms & keeps calling her Galley the Kitchen!! lol
man if he misnaming the galley is the biggest problem you got I'm envious. And I'm sure as is just about every other sailor with a significant other onboard.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 06:45   #27
S/V rubber ducky
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bahamas cruising currently
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 17,694
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

both my wife and I are exNavy, screw those seatalk words!!!!
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 07:05   #28
Registered User
 
Bundyon's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Coffs Harbour Australia
Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)
Posts: 69
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
both my wife and I are exNavy, screw those seatalk words!!!!
LMAO
__________________
Everybody Dies.....Not Everybody Lives !!
Awww c'mon...I'm Not Feeling the Luv!!
D.B.F. !
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 07:09   #29
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,297
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
both my wife and I are exNavy, screw those seatalk words!!!!
yep you are a true navy man
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 07:16   #30
Registered User
 
Olddan1943's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Aventura, FL
Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Posts: 655
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgonzalez262 View Post
After my second deployment, I found I wasn't happy. I sold everything after my divorce and bought my nautilus 37 pilothouse and moved aboard for a short time and loved it. I was finally in my happy place. Well, fast forward to now. I got married and live back on the hard and have not started cruising or living aboard again. Does anyone else have this itch to get back on the water? I recently quit my job, started writing, and designing web pages so I can do what I think I was meant to do. Now I just have to convince my wife....

Im just curious, do other vets out there share this urge with me? What about spouses trying to convince their better halves to start this adventure?

My strategy is to plan everything out and show her that it all will work out. Im going to do that by blogging and working remotely while writing up a semi detailed plan of what I want to do. Any other pointers on how to convince her? Any other vets need help to enjoy this freedom? Thanks!
A. Buy a 40 something foot boat......
__________________
And you folks thought I knew what I was talking about.
I do believe my intuitive gene has died.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
living aboard

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any fellow veterans looking to start cruising? Bgonzalez262 Boat Ownership & Making a Living 5 28-09-2018 15:41
Wanted: Live Aboard Wisdom From Worldtravelling Veterans! presentmoment Liveaboard's Forum 24 14-03-2016 13:05
Easy, free Fish & other food while living aboard liveaboardL Liveaboard's Forum 14 22-03-2014 16:10
Crew Available: 29 yr old couple wanting to sail from Mexico to Cuba or other Caribbean islands mikey.willcox Crew Archives 0 08-01-2013 10:15
Make a Living, Living Aboard JanetGroene Boat Ownership & Making a Living 0 19-11-2010 12:28

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 15:32.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.