Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2018, 17:24   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Any other veterans living aboard or wanting to?

The Spencer is on craigslist for 17,500
https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/b...634228357.html
She needs a wash and polish.
Old 21-07-2018, 17:52   #17

Boat: Nautilus, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
if you want I can take swing by and give you s hand getting her running .
Pm sent
I shot you a message! That would be great haha. put in a new starter, but now my control panel on my helm isnt even giving me warning lights or letting me start.... I know i put the starter in right cause I shocked myself and it spun up...
Old 21-07-2018, 18:33   #18

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
Yeah, I was medically discharged.

I tried sailing a number of times over the years, but didn't get the itch until I did a liveaboard dive trip. Living on the sailboat for a week in the Bahamas kinda sealed it for me. I've always loved the ocean and the water (one of the reasons I went in the Navy actually), and I enjoyed sailing every time I'd done it, I just didn't ever think of it as a lifestyle that a person could have until I woke up on a boat in the Exumas.
Blackbeards?
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:51   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Blackbeards?
Yes. I'm going on Cat Ppalu in September as well.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 18:56   #20

Boat: someone elses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
Yes. I'm going on Cat Ppalu in September as well.
Nice. Sorry for the sidetrack. Your post just reminded me of why I feel in love with sailing. RIP Pirate's Lady.
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2018, 19:03   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Nice. Sorry for the sidetrack. Your post just reminded me of why I feel in love with sailing. RIP Pirate's Lady.

jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 09:06   #22

Boat: Pearson 35 #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgonzalez262 View Post
After my second deployment, I found I wasn't happy. I sold everything after my divorce and bought my nautilus 37 pilothouse and moved aboard for a short time and loved it. I was finally in my happy place. Well, fast forward to now. I got married and live back on the hard and have not started cruising or living aboard again. Does anyone else have this itch to get back on the water? I recently quit my job, started writing, and designing web pages so I can do what I think I was meant to do. Now I just have to convince my wife....

Im just curious, do other vets out there share this urge with me? What about spouses trying to convince their better halves to start this adventure?

My strategy is to plan everything out and show her that it all will work out. Im going to do that by blogging and working remotely while writing up a semi detailed plan of what I want to do. Any other pointers on how to convince her? Any other vets need help to enjoy this freedom? Thanks!
goin full time liveaboard in couple months.. navy '72-'73
Old 22-07-2018, 09:10   #23

Boat: Pearson 35 #285

Quote:
After my second deployment, I found I wasn't happy. I sold everything after my divorce and bought my nautilus 37 pilothouse and moved aboard for a short time and loved it. I was finally in my happy place. Well, fast forward to now. I got married and live back on the hard and have not started cruising or living aboard again. Does anyone else have this itch to get back on the water? I recently quit my job, started writing, and designing web pages so I can do what I think I was meant to do. Now I just have to convince my wife....

Im just curious, do other vets out there share this urge with me? What about spouses trying to convince their better halves to start this adventure?

My strategy is to plan everything out and show her that it all will work out. Im going to do that by blogging and working remotely while writing up a semi detailed plan of what I want to do. Any other pointers on how to convince her? Any other vets need help to enjoy this freedom? Thanks!
This came up on facebook awhile ago.. maybe this will splain it better for her..
Life is incredibly short.
We take everything we were born with to the grave, i.e. nothing.
All the houses/cars/money/social position we covet and struggle and waste our lives for mean zip at the end, which comes all too soon.
WTF do you want to do with your life?
This is basic philosophy 101 and to me it means live it to the fullest, every day an adventure.
Security is an evil illusion that does not exist except in the profit margin of those who sell it to you by exploiting fear of death and the unknown.
'Oh, you need a house, and home insurance and life insurance and health insurance and a better car and new clothes and a bigger TV and a more impressive job title' and on and on and on so get to work to pay for it!
Go ahead, sell the short hours of life to the bankers, landlords, car dealers and profit takers, or wrench it out of their hands and spend it in your own joy and amazement in our wonderful world.
A sailboat is a subversive thing, and offers true freedom, with all the uncertainty and self reliance and potential for daily disaster that come along with same.
Not for wimps..

good luck bro
Old 22-07-2018, 09:34   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
My wife and I are vets and we live on the boat.

But for the OP I would start by asking her. Then if she isn't hip to it find out why and see what comprises you can work out. If it comes to "talking her into it" you might want to just talking about as ex-wife #2
Cadence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 21:03   #25

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
This came up on facebook awhile ago.. maybe this will splain it better for her..
Life is incredibly short.
We take everything we were born with to the grave, i.e. nothing.
All the houses/cars/money/social position we covet and struggle and waste our lives for mean zip at the end, which comes all too soon.
WTF do you want to do with your life?
This is basic philosophy 101 and to me it means live it to the fullest, every day an adventure.
Security is an evil illusion that does not exist except in the profit margin of those who sell it to you by exploiting fear of death and the unknown.
'Oh, you need a house, and home insurance and life insurance and health insurance and a better car and new clothes and a bigger TV and a more impressive job title' and on and on and on so get to work to pay for it!
Go ahead, sell the short hours of life to the bankers, landlords, car dealers and profit takers, or wrench it out of their hands and spend it in your own joy and amazement in our wonderful world.
A sailboat is a subversive thing, and offers true freedom, with all the uncertainty and self reliance and potential for daily disaster that come along with same.
Not for wimps..

good luck bro

Love it mate, do u mind if i copy it?

I'm a Vet' retired on a Military Pension (T.P.I. Ret' Submariner) I guess there is a few Vet's here in Oz that are living on their boats, but I think we are few & far between! My boat is on the Hard atm, hopefully splash it sometime in August and sail it back down the East coast to my home port. I will then be living on her full time. My Partner lives in the Netherlands, hopefully immigrating here next March. She had her doubts about living onboard, she was worried about a myriad of things. So I asked her to watch a few YouTube vid's on sailing, talk to her work colleagues etc etc. She started warming to the idea. Well she came out to Oz a couple of months back, we drove the 1000 kilometres to where my boat is. We spent two weeks living on the boat on the Hard as well as a couple of mates who had come up to help out. While we prepped and painted the boat, my girl got to cleaning & scrubbing the inside & generally tidying up. (Boat has been on the Hard for 12 years!). She cooked meals in the galley every morning & night, made countless cups of coffee for the lads & myself. She has fallen in love with the boat & now can't wait to live onboard! She just can't get used to Nautical terms & keeps calling her Galley the Kitchen!! lol
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2018, 21:09   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundyon View Post
Love it mate, do u mind if i copy it?

I'm a Vet' retired on a Military Pension (T.P.I. Ret' Submariner) I guess there is a few Vet's here in Oz that are living on their boats, but I think we are few & far between! My boat is on the Hard atm, hopefully splash it sometime in August and sail it back down the East coast to my home port. I will then be living on her full time. My Partner lives in the Netherlands, hopefully immigrating here next March. She had her doubts about living onboard, she was worried about a myriad of things. So I asked her to watch a few YouTube vid's on sailing, talk to her work colleagues etc etc. She started warming to the idea. Well she came out to Oz a couple of months back, we drove the 1000 kilometres to where my boat is. We spent two weeks living on the boat on the Hard as well as a couple of mates who had come up to help out. While we prepped and painted the boat, my girl got to cleaning & scrubbing the inside & generally tidying up. (Boat has been on the Hard for 12 years!). She cooked meals in the galley every morning & night, made countless cups of coffee for the lads & myself. She has fallen in love with the boat & now can't wait to live onboard! She just can't get used to Nautical terms & keeps calling her Galley the Kitchen!! lol
man if he misnaming the galley is the biggest problem you got I'm envious. And I'm sure as is just about every other sailor with a significant other onboard.
Old 23-07-2018, 06:45   #27
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

both my wife and I are exNavy, screw those seatalk words!!!!
Old 23-07-2018, 07:05   #28

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Quote:
LMAO
Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 07:09   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
yep you are a true navy man
Old 23-07-2018, 07:16   #30

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:

A. Buy a 40 something foot boat......

Tags
living aboard