Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2016, 16:53   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Any good 20 foot cruisers out there? For liveabord? With head!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
flickas are badass
Well... they are...kinda like Napoleon was...
You can live on one...and they are stout...but don't challenge anyone to a race...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2016, 17:14   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
Hi, I'm about to buy my first boat, ----- Any thoughts on small cruiser's, preferably with a head.
Bear in mind that if you're going to be legal in most areas you are going to need a holding tank for the head. To be halfway comfortable you will need a galley, water tankage, etc.
Hard to do in less than 25'.
Old 31-08-2016, 17:26   #18
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

20' is too small.
Yes it can be done, just like you can live in a vw bug if you are nuts.
Go for at least 25' or more.
$1k is not much of a budget for a liveaboard boat
Go and work hard for a while, save some money.
Then come back and buy a half arse decent boat.
(I went to Alaska, plenty jobs there and well paid)
Old 31-08-2016, 21:44   #19
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

CSY is correct 20 is too small. A flicka is SLOW. Trade off is food, water, fuel vs displacement + time to port. You need a decent large boat to cruise
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:28   #20

I knew a couple who not only lived aboard, but ran a successful canvas shop, on a pacific sea craft Flica. Awesome little boat. Not cheap though. I lived aboard a cal 25 mark 1 (flush deck model) and comfortably cruised California's Channel Islands. You can get a good one for less than $5,000.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:31   #21

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well... they are...kinda like Napoleon was...
You can live on one...and they are stout...but don't challenge anyone to a race...
we are either kings or pawns, a man once said
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:36   #22

I second the Columbia 24 suggestion. They are sturdy little boats. I had a 24' Columbia Challenger which is the raised deck version of the 24.
LRMills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:39   #23

$1,000 for a seaworthy small cruising boat? That's like saying, " I want a dependable car to tour the western states and my budget is $200." The guys who post replies are correct: save more money and while doing it, learn more about boats. Be patient. Most of us did not own blue water cruisers when we were 28.😄
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:55   #24

I bought a Flicka 20 , 8 years ago in Nova Scotia,sailed across to Spain,down to sth America,back up
To Rhode Isl. Then back to the Carib.
My girl friend and i lived on the boat for about a year with no problems.
I put an outboard on the stern..
Removed the plumbed in head and replaced it with a porta potty,,much better.
Gimbled the Alch. Stove and strategicly placed 4 Carafomo ? Fans,,
The boat is a joy to live on and sails well.
Only problem is,,you will buy 2 Catalina 25s for the same price..BUT not cross the same oceans.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:31   #25

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

The ubiquitous Catalina 22 has a large cockpit, single spacious cabin and pop top for extra headroom. Head would have to stow somewhere... If you are staying in a marina, some have good clean toilets and showers...
Old 01-09-2016, 10:04   #26

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Flicka 20

None can compare to a Flicka.
wsstrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:31   #27

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericsstinnett View Post
Hi, I'm about to buy my first boat, I'm single, 28 years old, and on a budget. I'm confident I can live aboard on a smaller boat as I've lived in some rather rough and small space's before. Campers and the like. Any thoughts on small cruiser's, preferably with a head.
Etap 21 etap 21 - Google Search

Kelt 6m50
etap 21 - Google Search

Etc... I think Europeans are better at making SMALL storm-proof offshore sailboats built like rescue boat The French organise a "mini-transat" on 6m50 (21'4") sailboats from France, via Lanzarote to Guadeloupe every other year with a stop over in the Canarie Islands The last one started September 2015:
Présentation | Mini Transat - Iles de Guadeloupe 2015 - Douarnenez / Lanzarote / Pointe-à-Pitre
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:54   #28

Boat: Flicka 21 feet 9 inches sailboat

Hi Ericsstinnett, I have a self built flicka I built 22 years ago, and to me she is the best little ship on earth. She has plenty of room for I person, iv'e lived on board her for 9 months and she was comfortable, warm and safe. The upkeep on such a small boat is cheap, and although I haven't done any ocean sailing, iv'e sailed the south coast of England and across the channel to France several times. The flicka is slightly tender, but once she heels over slightly she is steady as a rock and will keep her course for a long time with no need to any attention to the helm. Iv'e done the trip from Aldernay to Torquay, a distance of just under 100 nautical miles in 17 hours, so the flick is no slouch. You get a flicka and I doubt if you will ever need or want a different boat. All the best to in your search.
Oz-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:17   #29

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

a blog of a friend's Flicka. He has done a fantastic job restoring it!

Official Site For Flicka 20 Wookie - Pacific Seacraft Sailboat
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:23   #30

A 20 foot cruiser is going to be hard. Most boats this size are going to be day sailers with scant to no accommodations or weather protection. The West Wight Potter and Flicka are two notable exceptions. The Flicka being a true offshore passage maker! But finding either for a grand is about as likely as catching a unicorn.
At 22 feet, two great boats come up; the Macgreggor Venture 22 and the Catalina 22. The pop top feature gives you standing headroom in the salon, the only boats in this size range that can claim that as far as I know. Just putting your pants on in a boat you can't stand in becomes an aggravation. being able to stand up and take a quick 360 degree look around is very useful, too. Porta Pottis negate the whole marine head and holding tank issue.
Of the two, I like the Macgreggor, because the centerboard swings completely up into the hull. So it floats in six inches of water vs 1 1/2 feet. And it dries out level. Though the Catalina may generally be better regarded.
The best thing about these boats for you is that you can actually find them. There are, literally, hundreds if not thousands of them mouldering away on trailers in people yards that haven't seen water in years. They are weekenders, really. But I know people who have lived and cruised for months on them.
Now if you can get yourself up to 24 feet, you move into a whole different class of boat. There are some comfortable and seaworthy cruising classics in this size, many of which are mentioned above. And these boats will tend to be better equipped. And much more stoutly built. And even more common.
My personal favorite is the Folkboat. But you're unicorn hunting again if you want one for a grand!
At this price point equipment is actually more important than the boat. You can spend thousands to equip even a 22 footer if it needs all new sails, wire rigging, sail handling lines, anchors, wiring, lights, motor, gas tank and fuel line, instruments like a compass, GPS, depth sounder, binoculars, etc., PFD's, Bimini top, cushion covers, deck hardware, stove, propane tank, and on and on and on and on.
Interesting exercise: log onto West Marine or Defender. Add up all the stuff on the list I just mentioned. See what you come up with!
A lot of this stuff can be rounded up pretty cheap on Craigslist and at nautical flea markets. But if you don't know what you're buying, you can waste a lot of money on junk that never works quite right for your boat. Much better to find a boat that has all this stuff on it already. And a lot of this gear will have been stripped off the typical thousand dollar boat.
Look at it this way, what you're really looking for is a bunch of cruising gear with a free boat thrown in!
A cruiser for a grand? A great challenge! But i think it can be done. Much depends on where you are. But if you are willing to hunt, are mobile, can be patient and diligent, I bet you can do it. Now if you only had another thou, or could go another four feet....lol. You can play that game forever.
There is someone out there with the perfect boat for you and in just the right situation to let you have it cheap. Someone who is moving or has lost their storage can be very motivated to get rid of a boat they have no use for.
Read, study, go look at some boats for sale. Start trolling Craigslist and the local DYI boat yards and talking to people. No local boatyards? Then you're in the wrong place! Educate yourself. Keep an open mind and be flexible. Some will say you can't afford to be choosy. I say you can't afford not to be!
But once you figure out generally what you're looking for you'll need to be quick and decisive. The good deals go fast. If it's on Craigslist, you may have only hours or minutes to pounce!
But don't buy junk. It will only cost you more in the long run.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, head