Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2018, 23:11   #1

Another "how much does it cost to cruise" thread, but with a twist

So I know the question of how much do I need to cruise has been done to death. However, instead of the normal "how cheap can I do it" I'm curious how much do you guys think you would need to cruise in a 40'ish foot Cat and be comfortable. To the point that you didn't frivolously waste money but at the same time didn't have to worry about the cost of eating out, or staying in the marina for a week, or just having all of your maintenance for you.
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 00:42   #2

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Another "how much does it cost to cruise" thread, but with a twist

How long is a piece of string?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 04:16   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
So I know the question of how much do I need to cruise has been done to death. However, instead of the normal "how cheap can I do it" I'm curious how much do you guys think you would need to cruise in a 40'ish foot Cat and be comfortable. To the point that you didn't frivolously waste money but at the same time didn't have to worry about the cost of eating out, or staying in the marina for a week, or just having all of your maintenance for you.
5k usd is a very comfortable number IMHO.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 04:17   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Per month I meant to add. I would want for very little with a 5k/mth budget.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 04:39   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another "how much does it cost to cruise" thread, but with a twist

Calculate what it costs to live on land then double it..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 05:14   #6
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
$3,727.31/mo
Old 17-03-2018, 05:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Give this a read if you haven't already and then add extra for what you think you'll be up for to make yourselves comfortable, like steaks, entertainment and other expenses that you think you'll be up for.

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/what-does-it-cost-to-cruise/
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 06:17   #8

Thanks for the answers guys, it's really helpful. My wife and I are on track to set out in about 10 years. Barring any major changes to our finances we should have about $72k/year (gross) in rental income so it sounds like that will keep us comfortable.
Old 17-03-2018, 08:23   #9

Boat: 55 fleming

How much it cost depends on life stile, location, size of boat (maintenance, dockage, insurance). When considering docking a month is often cheaper than a week as a transient. Anchoring vs mooring vs marina some areas anchoring is discouraged.
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 08:34   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
5k usd is a very comfortable number IMHO.
I would guess on the higher side given the criteria.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 08:58   #11

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
$3,727.31/mo
And that is a documented amount!
Old 17-03-2018, 09:19   #12

Boat: Hylas 54

There are two of us, we have a 2007 Hylas 54 that we sail approx 6 months of the year then live in a house for 6 months. I took our 2017 actuals and removed all the house and car expenses and other expenses related to land living. I took full year expenses like groceries and halved them to reflect approx what we spent during the six months on the boat. We spent winter of 2017 cruising the BVI. We went to Marinas only occasionally when we needed to fix stuff, most of the time on hook, sometimes on $30 per night mooring balls, but not often (say 10% of time). We ate out one or two times a week, usually lunch. We had four sets of guests for a week each so we were catering for more than the two of us quite often, but guests also often paid for groceries, dinner, or made up for it in some other monetary way. So we had fun, but were not extravagant. We do our own maintenance most of time unless it is advanced electrical or complex engine work.

Marina and Moorings $2396 (this includes some marina time before we left for BVI in Ft Lauderdale, and some as we were putting boat to bed)
Registration and Customs $678
Laundry $200
Sat Phone, email and weather $263
Charts flags software $314
Parts/upgrades $13,736 (note this includes one time costs of approx $7000 for water maker purchase and install, $1800 Sat Phone purchase, but note, in our experience most years there are other one time purchases)
Insurance for year $7,000
Fuel and CNG $2115
Haul out and Storage $5036 (includes extra for hurricane cradle and some of the off season yard storage costs incurred in 2017)
Eating/drinking out $3000
Liquor $2000
Healthcare $100
Groceries $5,000
Gifts $1000
Clothes $500
Cell phone (2) $900

Taking a monthly average is not logical as some of these expenses related to the boat are annual expenses, but it comes to $7450 per month for the six months we are sailing.

Happy to describe what drives some of these numbers to anyone that is interested.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:22   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
$3,727.31/mo
Isn't this misleading because it only covers one hull? Doesn't the second hull add 33.333%
( + or - .1%) more?
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:35   #14

Boat: Irwin 46

I have read many of these posts and am always amazed at the answers. I have several friends that cruise full time and I regularly ask them about their costs. I know one family of 4 that live around the sea of Cortez. They eat out regularly and live well on $1000 dollars per month. They anchor out, do their own maintenance and live as the locals do. I have a long time friend that cruises between Trinidad and St Marten. His words to me are that he lives large on $1800 per month. He sails, does his own maintenance, eats what he wants, drinks all the rum he wants and pulls the boat out once a year. You can’t live like a rich tourist but can live well on $2000 per month if you anchor and do most of your own work. I am leaving in a year on a dudget of 2 K per month. I will anchor out, sail between islands and do most/all of my own maintenance. Good sailing.
KS84047 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
There are two of us, we have a 2007 Hylas 54 that we sail approx 6 months of the year then live in a house for 6 months. I took our 2017 actuals and removed all the house and car expenses and other expenses related to land living. I took full year expenses like groceries and halved them to reflect approx what we spent during the six months on the boat. We spent winter of 2017 cruising the BVI. We went to Marinas only occasionally when we needed to fix stuff, most of the time on hook, sometimes on $30 per night mooring balls, but not often (say 10% of time). We ate out one or two times a week, usually lunch. We had four sets of guests for a week each so we were catering for more than the two of us quite often, but guests also often paid for groceries, dinner, or made up for it in some other monetary way. So we had fun, but were not extravagant. We do our own maintenance most of time unless it is advanced electrical or complex engine work.

Marina and Moorings $2396 (this includes some marina time before we left for BVI in Ft Lauderdale, and some as we were putting boat to bed)
Registration and Customs $678
Laundry $200
Sat Phone, email and weather $263
Charts flags software $314
Parts/upgrades $13,736 (note this includes one time costs of approx $7000 for water maker purchase and install, $1800 Sat Phone purchase, but note, in our experience most years there are other one time purchases)
Insurance for year $7,000
Fuel and CNG $2115
Haul out and Storage $5036 (includes extra for hurricane cradle and some of the off season yard storage costs incurred in 2017)
Eating/drinking out $3000
Liquor $2000
Healthcare $100
Groceries $5,000
Gifts $1000
Clothes $500
Cell phone (2) $900

Taking a monthly average is not logical as some of these expenses related to the boat are annual expenses, but it comes to $7450 per month for the six months we are sailing.

Happy to describe what drives some of these numbers to anyone that is interested.

That is actually really helpful, thank you. I took your numbers and doubled the appropriate ones (don't need to pay for haul outs/storage or twice as much insurance) and came to about $38k/year before maintenance/upgrades. With my expected budget (in today's dollars) I'd have about $20k/year left over for maintenance and upgrades, which I assume would be less on my 35-40foot boat compared to your 54 foot. This would work just fine especially since we always have the option to return to work for a few months to pay for some needed extra expense. We are fortunate that are careers are such that we make a very good wage and can come and go as we please.

Tags
cruise