Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2020, 11:08   #16

Re: Annual costs to consider in my new boat ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNurse View Post
The boat will be new, and total cost will be 1,4M€. 5% of this amount its around 70.000€/year which means 5833€/month, what I think its totally crazy high amount of money for maintenance.

I’m not worry for the “long term” costs (like changing rigging, sails, etc), as in around 6 to 8 years I will sold her and buy a new one.
Ships are like cars: fantastic when new, but when you drive them for a time, its time to change them for a new one.
Selling a boat like this, well maintened, will lost very little money (not many of them in the market), so investment will be not too costly.
All the gadgets and extra equipment will be installed in factory, I’ve checked all the optional possibilities, so I don’t think I could need to install anything more items when I receive the boat.

Good point. Yeah, that's a crazy amount. That said, I'd probably put some rainy day money aside in any event. Stuff does break. I'd have an account somewhere with enough to handle one or two of these things without breaking a sweat.

For me, it's the same rainy day fund that I use for everything else, so I do double count a bit.

If you don't use it, it goes into your next boat.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 13:14   #17

Boat: soon a Moody DS 54...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
If you really want to keep it in perfect condition you will need to budget for cleaning and polishing. Gelcoat and stainless polish/was maintenance should be budgeted 1-3 times a year depending on location/situation. If you sail on weekends do you plan to wash the boat yourself and cut into your weekend time or hire this out? I have kept my boat in a marina where some owners have the goal of maintaining a boat in "perfect" condition and that seems to entail having a cleaning crew on about weekly trying to keep up with all the cosmetic maintenance.

I'm don't remember there being any exterior wood on a Moody DS 54 but if so you need to budget for its upkeep as well.
I will keep my boat clean and polished myself, I have all tools and know-how to do it properly, as in my factory we do things like it daily: we manufacture high-end carbon fiber parts, which are polished mirror-like always. (www.ixocarbon.com/elysium)
Washing the boat when return home each Sunday evening its part of the joy of sailing for me, and it will take 1 hour to wash with water and some soap, not a problem, and I love to do it myself.
The teak on the Moody will be artificial teak, with almost no maintenance unless normal cleaning
Thank you for your answer, appreciated.

Pedro
BigNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 13:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Aside from your maintenance budget for which you should do the labor yourself, you might want to consider budgeting for long term replacement items which can be a big hit when it comes time to replace. Standing rigging, every ten years, chain maybe five years, electronics every 15 years running rigging(sheets and halyards) as they chafe and sails, dependent on how much you sail. I've heard that 10% of the value of the boat is a good number for this stuff but I suspect it's highly variable as some boats cost more than others but all this stuffs wears out in a salt water environment no mater how well you care for it.
I donít expect to have the boat more than 6 or 7 years, so big maintenance will be done by her next owner. I will sold out and buy a new one, probably in 5 years, but sure no more than 7.
Chain and anchor will be 100% stainless steel, so I think it could last a bit longer than 5 years, haha
Thank you for your kind answer

Pedro
Old 18-04-2020, 17:58   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
I donít expect to have the boat more than 6 or 7 years, so big maintenance will be done by her next owner. I will sold out and buy a new one, probably in 5 years, but sure no more than 7.
Chain and anchor will be 100% stainless steel, so I think it could last a bit longer than 5 years, haha
Thank you for your kind answer

Pedro
Best not to have stainless chain and anchor. Stainless chain is weaker and susceptible to crevice corrosion that could result in unexpected, sudden failure. Anchor is also at risk from crevice corrosion.

From your original post: If you have coppercoat applied there is less need to haul out the boat annually. Just hire a diver a couple of times a year to scrub the bottom and to replace zincs when needed. A whole lot less cost than a haulout and safer too.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 23:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofiaB View Post
You didnít mention costs for all the upgrades! Hand held a, dinghy, extra safety equipment...
All this extras will be buy since the beginning, including the dinghy, outboard motor for it, clothes, etc., so no upgrades expected in short time

Thank you very much for your kind answer.

Pedro
Old 18-04-2020, 23:29   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Best not to have stainless chain and anchor. Stainless chain is weaker and susceptible to crevice corrosion that could result in unexpected, sudden failure. Anchor is also at risk from crevice corrosion.
Thank you very much for the recommendation, I will double check it with the yard, however.

Today, most of anchors on yachts are stainless, and I couldn’t found too much complaints about that fact.

The boat will have installed from the yard a water pump to clean with clean fresh water the chain (made in AISI 316 L stainless, and quite thick) and anchor (probably a 60 kg. Ultra) every time we recover it from the sea, to minimize that corrosion.
Anyway, I hope to have this boat with me in between 6 to 7 years, so probably both elements are in good condition yet on that time.
I prefer to change the chain more frecuently than see a galvanized one rusted on board.

Also, I’ll double check the idea to have a diver cleaning the hull when needed, and replace the zincs, instead to take out of the water the boat, which its something I don’t like too much, better to keep her afloat !

Thank you very much for your kind recommendations, appreciated indeed

Pedro
Old 19-04-2020, 01:10   #22

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Thank you very much for the recommendation, I will double check it with the yard, however.

Today, most of anchors on yachts are stainless, and I couldnít found too much complaints about that fact.

The boat will have installed from the yard a water pump to clean with clean fresh water the chain (made in AISI 316 L stainless, and quite thick) and anchor (probably a 60 kg. Ultra) every time we recover it from the sea, to minimize that corrosion.
Anyway, I hope to have this boat with me in between 6 to 7 years, so probably both elements are in good condition yet on that time.
I prefer to change the chain more frecuently than see a galvanized one rusted on board.

Also, Iíll double check the idea to have a diver cleaning the hull when needed, and replace the zincs, instead to take out of the water the boat, which its something I donít like too much, better to keep her afloat !

Thank you very much for your kind recommendations, appreciated indeed

Pedro
Properly galvanized chain will not rust for years. My chain was re-galvanized ten years ago,it is still not rusting and I have anchored a few hundred times since then. Some manufacturers are better at galvanizing than others.

The issue with crevice corrosion in stainless steel is that is is difficult to see and can happen quickly. Crevice corrosion is perpendicular to the surface of the stainless and often requires dye penetrant testing to be seen. Crevice corrosion essentially saws your chain apart. Steel chain can rust a long time before it's strength is compromised.

As for anchors the same applies. I don't know your location but around here maybe 5% of boats use stainless steel anchors. Stainless steel is weaker than the steel used in forged anchors.

Please do your homework and research these issues before you buy. Your safety and the safety of your family and guests depend on good ground tackle.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 06:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The issue with crevice corrosion in stainless steel is that is is difficult to see and can happen quickly. Crevice corrosion is perpendicular to the surface of the stainless and often requires dye penetrant testing to be seen. Crevice corrosion essentially saws your chain apart. Steel chain can rust a long time before it's strength is compromised.
I know a company here, working worldwide for Zara, which discover a way to hard anodize in black the stainless steel, which probably will add corrosion resistance to it, I will ask them about this process for the chain and anchor.
I promise to check extremely careful this matter, following your recommendation, as youíve correctly told, security of the boat and family its a must-have
I live in the northwest coast of Spain, in the Atlantic ocean, in Vigo (just few kilometers over the border of Portugal), one of the best places for sailing one could imagine. Just Google ďVigo - SpainĒ and you will understand what I mean.
Thank you again

Pedro
Old 19-04-2020, 08:12   #24

Not many maintenance costs for the first few years on a new boat

Fall decommissioning and spring commissioning

Your big costs with a new boat is fit out

A huge pile of personal equipment

Additionally there will be equipment and systems on the boat that function correctly but donít fit your way of doing things
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 09:44   #25

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Dear all:
Iím planning to buy a new boat this year, a Moody DS 54, and making a budget to take care of how much money I should consider to account to keep the boat in perfect condition.
At the moment, I got info of the marina where I plan to have it docked, for 450Ä/month (includes unlimited electricity, water and taxes)
Insurance will cost 6600Ä/year (includes top full insurance, valid for all waters I may travel)
Volvo dealer informed also about the checking and oil change of the engine (a Volvo D3-150 hp) in about 500Ä/year, and similar amount for the generator (12 kw)
I plan to apply Coppercoat on it, so no need to paint it each year, as less for the initial years coming (they said that....I donít know if true)
Cleaning the bottom of the boat each year around 900Ä (includes the traveller lift, cleaning, and back to water)
I plan to sail during most weekends of the year with my wife, and living onboard for 3 months in summer, mainly around our area in the northwest coast of Spain, maybe next year in Adriatic Sea, but not this first one year.
What other expenses I should consider that Iíve missed?
Some advice or recommendations ?

Thank you in advance

Pedro
Congratulations Pedro, that is a great looking sailboat! Can I come and live with you! Kidding aside, you may want to do what folks do with either used or new airplanes. Start a monthly reserve fund to cover those items that will need to either repaired, replaced or for scheduled maintenance. You should be able to talk to other Moody other comparable boat owner and the manufacturer to come up with a number. I have done this on my aircraft and boat and it makes life a lot simpler.

Good luck!
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2020, 10:01   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
Congratulations Pedro, that is a great looking sailboat! Can I come and live with you! Kidding aside, you may want to do what folks do with either used or new airplanes. Start a monthly reserve fund to cover those items that will need to either repaired, replaced or for scheduled maintenance. You should be able to talk to other Moody other comparable boat owner and the manufacturer to come up with a number. I have done this on my aircraft and boat and it makes life a lot simpler.

Good luck!
Thank you for your kind comment !
For sure you’ll be more than welcome to give a try to the boat once I get it !
My plan was exactly that: saving some amount monthly (around 500/600€/month), for a “just in case” problem not covered by the 2 years factory warranty.
Also, as I’ve explained in other thread to an Amel 50 owner (Boom23 I think), people spending far more than a 1,3M€ in a new toy, usually will not have problems in excess to pay a bill of the toy maintenance...haha
Thank you again from Spain

Pedro
Old 19-04-2020, 10:15   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Not many maintenance costs for the first few years on a new boat

Fall decommissioning and spring commissioning

Your big costs with a new boat is fit out

A huge pile of personal equipment

Additionally there will be equipment and systems on the boat that function correctly but donít fit your way of doing things
Thank you for your answer.
The boat will be used the hole year long, so she will be on the water in the marina all year. We donít have here hard winters (I never saw snow in my life here, and Iím 58), and in the hole year only half dozen of weekends we donít use the ship, so the fall/spring commissioning probably could be saved.
Most of the personal equipment (Musto clothes for all family, personal epirbs, lifejackets, harnesses, etc), we simply move from our actual boat, as they are in mint condition.
Regarding the systems, I cannot tell you till we have the boat, but I think that being top brands elements, the usability will be ok for me, but I donít know. Pretty much of this equipment I have also quite similar in my boat, so I donít expect BIG differences, but weíll see what happens.
Again, thank you very much for your comment
Best regards from Spain

Pedro

Tags
boat, new boat