Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 08:48   #31

Re: Animals living aboard

I doubt the cat and dog will need heat when you are gone.... unless you are somewhere really cold. I would leave a small electric heater on maybe... on low. Never leave a propane or any type of fuel oil stove on.
My wonderful cat never could adapt to the boat moving. When we went cruising we had to leave him with a relative. He got seasick as soon as we started the engine after the first couple of trips! He was the joy of my life and finally died at the age of 16 years... later on. Kittens who start on boats seem to do fine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:30   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBLittle View Post
Most places simply require a vet certificate from your last port indicating the pet is healthy and has had a rabies shot within one year (sometimes one month). Noonsite has a wealth of information and it's always prudent to check with a country directly before you depart your current port.
Thanks for that, nice to know.

Whats noonsite?

However, are those same rules applicable for somewhere like Australia with very strict quarintine and import laws?

Would love to hear from someone that has sailed in to Oz with a cat or dog.

And lastly, how do you deal with the cat or dogs toiletry requirements? With a cat I presume much easier than a dog, but still wondering about smell and all that.
samsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:36   #33

I've seen some people have grass pads for their dogs.
Ansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:38   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I doubt the cat and dog will need heat when you are gone.... unless you are somewhere really cold. I would leave a small electric heater on maybe... on low. Never leave a propane or any type of fuel oil stove on. My wonderful cat never could adapt to the boat moving. When we went cruising we had to leave him with a relative. He got seasick as soon as we started the engine after the first couple of trips! He was the joy of my life and finally died at the age of 16 years... later on. Kittens who start on boats seem to do fine.
Thanks for the tip! I'm wondering how my cat is going to react to it. As for my dog I'm a little nervous because he use to be car sick but luckily got over it. Hope it's the same with the boat! Sorry to hear of the passing of your cat. They really are like kids.
Ansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:44   #35

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansmith View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that!! Thanks for sharing! I'd be a mess if something happen to mine. They really are like your kids. My biggest fear is to come back and the boat either sank or caught fire while we are gone with the animals in it.
I think there are a lot of options for setting up some sort of alert to any of the issues that might arise. Such as water, high temps, cold temps..etc. Just need to the right system for it and internet available to send you an email alert or something like that.

We aren't living aboard yet, but leaving our dog in the boat while we are away for a bit is a concern as well - really that something happens and he's trapped. Although its really no worse than him being in our house while we're gone, except he's got a lot more room to escape to.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 18:48   #36

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansmith View Post
Thanks for the tip! I'm wondering how my cat is going to react to it. As for my dog I'm a little nervous because he use to be car sick but luckily got over it. Hope it's the same with the boat! Sorry to hear of the passing of your cat. They really are like kids.
I wouldn't assume getting car sick means he'd have an issue with the boat. I can get car sick myself at times and never have had an issue on the boat.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote