Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2017, 11:33   #16

Re: And then there are guests...

But....
Only a few cats can circumnavigate (???). Want to be able to ride whatever wave comes my way
B
Papasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 12:00   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The following is offered in a friendly tone of voice, and with the sole intent to help you with some additional information and opinion.

That said, I am not an expert on catamarans. But, if you look at the many threads or discussions in the Multihull forum here on CF, you will find many experienced catamaran sailors/owners. What follows is what I would do, given your scenario (family, budget, etc.). You can take my advice with a splash of saltwater.

Fact: Very few sailors go for a full circumnavigation, despite dreams of doing so.

Fact: There are many catamarans that circumnavigate. Or not.

Fact: The "Milk Run" or traditional "Tradewinds Route" around the world is something most production catamarans could do, and many have.

You mentioned your budget is about $150K USD. By that, I assume you mean the "Maximum Asking Price" you want to spend. Realize that a boat may be advertised with an Asking Price of $180K but actually sell for $150K. Also realize that any boat will need some repairs and maintenance, and possible upgrades, so make sure you have money set aside for that. To keep it simple, I will recommend a boat I would seriously consider buying IF I had that $150K to offer someone.

Here are a few things for you to consider:

1. Go to Yachtworld. Look for a Lagoon 380 S model (owners version would be my preference). You can find them in 1998-2002-2006 or so year model for $150-$180K USD or sometimes less ($125K USD). Look over the interior. Look at the Owner's Model (layout) and notice the space and the berths and the multiple heads and the privacy, etc. The Owner's Model devotes the starboard hull, the entire hull, to the private owner's cabin, head, and storage lockers and desk. The Port hull contains two double berths and a head too.

2. Go to youtube. Search for a channel called "SV Honeymoon" (a Lagoon 380)

View this video to see them crossing from Panama to Marquesas and then further in South Pacific. https://youtu.be/SFj54ZSdxdA

See this video for a walkthrough of their boat when they sold it. He does an excellent job of describing his boat's features for living aboard it.
https://youtu.be/7iEHYEo4SZQ

See this video for high winds (50 knots, bare poles) sailing on this boat.
https://youtu.be/vzJu17GiN9E

Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 13:22   #18

A 4-cabin, 4-head Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49 is conceived to transform the two forward cabins into a big master cabin, turning it into a 3-cabin layout for when you have no guests. I realize that's a bit bigger than what you're looking for but you should be able to find used ones in your price range.

A Jeanneau 43 DS can also have up to 4 cabins where the one in the stern is transformable into a full beam master.
RedHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:38   #19

Boat: Riva 48

A cat is the only way to go in your situation. Kids in their 20s need privacy both for play and sleep. The front net area of a cat is fantastic for that, while the rest can stay in the back. In a monohull you will be cramped even if it has the cabin/berthes you need.
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:13   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a sale ad, just posted today by a CF Member on the CF Classifieds (Boats for Sale) and it shows a nice Lagoon 380 Owner's Version (Layout) located in Maine USA.

See the ad for details.
For Sale: 2003 Lagoon 380 Owner's Version - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:07   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35

I have a 2004, 38' Wildcat. 4 Queen cabins, 2 heads. She sleeps 8 in the cabins, plus the salon table goes down to sleep either 2 adults or 4 pre-teen kids. 21' beam gives her the interior space of most 42' cats. She's currently $190,000, and will drop by $10,000 per month until she sells.

There is considerable information if you follow these links.
Details: Sail Quest Details
Interior Photos: New Photos (interior)
Exterior Photos: New Photos (exterior)

Feel free to look around our website while you are there.

For another neat look at Sail Quest, in Google Earth, go to 26°30'30.05"N, 78°37'46.59"W and zoom in to an altitude of 10 metres. That's us enjoying the afternoon anchored out with our tiki-raft deployed.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:09   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35

Oh, and the Wildcat can easily circumnavigate. She's a great island hopper with 1 meter draft, but is one of the best blue water cats around. Sleek, rounded profile provides minimal side windage, and sheds any water instantly.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 07:30   #23

Boat: St Francis 50

A great cat to consider in your price range is the shaft driven TPI 42.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote