Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2016, 00:42   #1
Tri

Anchor Apps

Hi, any experience with Anchor Apps? Would be great to hear your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:06   #2
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Re: Anchor Apps

Anchor watch works for me..

#https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...r.anchor&hl=en
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:38   #3

Hello, I use the anchor alarm feature in this app https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vigator.marine and I am especially happy with the "Late Set" option.

The app has version for iOS also - Weather Navigator.

I hope it is helpful
mia.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 05:57   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have had no success with them. They all seem to be money hungry chart sellers who require 24/7 internet access.

So I am interested if someone has a recommendation for one that can be used offline with a cached Google earth image, or Google Maps.

I use a handheld GPS and if its really stormy have my laptop and OpenCpn working

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:01   #5

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Why do you need an image for an anchor alarm? It is only telling that you are outside of a circle set around the initial setup point.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:15   #6
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I've used them all. Anchor watch is the best for me on iPad or iPhone, however of late we are just using the opencpn anchor alarm which works very well.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:25   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
So I am interested if someone has a recommendation for one that can be used offline with a cached Google earth image, or Google Maps.

Don't know of any that need on-line access.

FWIW, I've used Draq Queen, works fine as long as the device battery is up to the task.

-Chris
Old 02-02-2016, 13:17   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

about 50% of the time I'm either busy or forgetting to set the anchor alarm exactly at the point when the anchor is dropped e.g. the "Late Set" feature is the only important one in my case... else there are plenty of anchor alarms available in iOS and GooglePlay stores...
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 13:22   #9

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri View Post
Hi, any experience with Anchor Apps? Would be great to hear your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.
Phone and tablet devices only have class B gps. They waste time trying to find a data connection.

We've found the opencpn anchor alarm using a dedicated gps puck to be much more consistent. (No false positives)

We've tried most of the apps and found sailmate on android to be quite good. The calling function on alarm is good. Like any smartphone option the acquisition of gps location indoors can take a while.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 14:38   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Phone and tablet devices only have class B gps. They waste time trying to find a data connection.
That may be true of some iDevices, but it's not so for the majority of phones and tablets.

I've used Anchor Watch on different phones and tablets in many locations with and without cell connectivity , in/out of Flight Mode with wireless turned on/off. Never found any difference in how long it takes to get a GPS fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ
I have had no success with them. They all seem to be money hungry chart sellers who require 24/7 internet access.

I don't see the point in an anchor app having a chart display. When I've dropped anchor, I can see where I am on the chartplotter. All I need is a simple app to show how much I am moving, warn me if I've moved outside the swing radius and which lets me modify the safe circle with guard zones if I am anchored close to something in one direction.

I an a very happy user of Anchor Watch - Once I am anchored I just tell it how far away the anchor is initially and in what direction. And if necessary modify the safe circle. I can see the swing trace at any time and know that if I go beyond te set boundary it will scream at me.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 23:51   #11
Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That may be true of some iDevices, but it's not so for the majority of phones and tablets.

I've used Anchor Watch on different phones and tablets in many locations with and without cell connectivity , in/out of Flight Mode with wireless turned on/off. Never found any difference in how long it takes to get a GPS fix.

I don't see the point in an anchor app having a chart display. When I've dropped anchor, I can see where I am on the chartplotter. All I need is a simple app to show how much I am moving, warn me if I've moved outside the swing radius and which lets me modify the safe circle with guard zones if I am anchored close to something in one direction.

I an a very happy user of Anchor Watch - Once I am anchored I just tell it how far away the anchor is initially and in what direction. And if necessary modify the safe circle. I can see the swing trace at any time and know that if I go beyond te set boundary it will scream at me.

That is basically what I would be looking for. A simple and reliable backup. Sounds like I will try it out.
Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 00:26   #12

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

I use Sailsafe on my Sony Xperia and have not had any problems with it so far. The free version just has the basics but the full version allows you to set up an inner and outer circle and a sector, so if the wind shifts and you end up on a leeshore it will warn you. It also has an "adjust anchor position" option for those days when you forget to click the start button which uses distance and bearing. It also runs in the background and continues to work when the phone is "snoozing" as long as you have it set up in your Power Management settings (essential for all anchor alarm apps I would think).

Accuracy is, as always, dependant on GPS signal but as my phone picks up GLONASS as well as GPS I rarely have less than 12 satellites in view. If I can pick up a wifi signal then I'll update the aGPS data as well but generally it's not essential.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 05:56   #13
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Seeing the google earth image can help occasionally with checking how close you might swing to rocks, shallows, moorings or the beach. It handy occasionally. I don't know of any that can show it without data connection to at least download the initial map and I'd assume it's impossible.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1454507804.495648.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	118240
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 21:54   #14

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Monte has a good point and before signing up to a contract on my mobile I would use a little bit of roaming data from time to time to stream the map to my alarm app. PAYG has its advantages sometimes.

I do recall when I first got a smartphone that Google Maps would allow you to download up to 5 areas for offline use. For reasons best known to them this ended with an update a few years ago, big mistake in my opinion. Perhaps a developer can code this feature back into an anchor app? or use the same maps that OSMAnd+ uses offline
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 22:04   #15

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post

We've found the opencpn anchor alarm using a dedicated gps puck to be much more consistent. (No false positives)
OpenCPN has an anchor alarm function? Assist please.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor