Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2020, 06:36   #16

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: An American in Canadian waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
There would be about a 0.00% chance Id strike the American flag from my vessel.

The border is only closed to non essential, reporting a American flag is silly and Id hope the RCMP would tell the caller to quit wasting their time.

Hassle? Folks gave their life for it, "hassle" is no factor
A man of his principles. Soon to find he is stuck within the borders where those principles were formed. More power to you...
Old 06-07-2020, 07:30   #17

Quote: "They recommended that we strike our American flag because they feared we’d be harassed by Canadians not appreciative of having virus ner-do-wells amongst them. It was very sad to hear that we should not proudly fly our flag, especially on Independence Day. We’ve always found Canadians to be friendly and helpful. It appears their mood has changed."

I think you may be reacting in a rather un-Canadian way to your friend's "trials". I would think that the CBA officers directly involved considered ALL the circumstances surrounding his request for passage, including his background in the USCG, and decided that that man was likely to act responsibly, even to go so far as to keep any gentlemen's agreement he might enter into, and decided on those grounds to grant him passage..

However, there is considerable factual evidence that not all transients en route from the 49 to Alaska merit such a judgement, and that many such transients have been subjected to the sharp end of the Canadian tongue both officially and unofficially for being a little short of self discipline and manners. I shouldn't doubt that if a casual visitor to YOUR house "steps out of line", you will request that he get back in line, or you will show him the door.

It is well within the realm of possibility that our CBA officers out of respect for your friend's background, and possibly even his immediate deportment, advised him as they did in order to spare him unnecessary aggro.

TrentePieds
Old 06-07-2020, 08:23   #18

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
A man of his principles. Soon to find he is stuck within the borders where those principles were formed. More power to you...
That’s not what the OP said and doesn’t is not the case.

I’d thank the customs worker for his recommendation, I’d continue north and leave my flag be
Old 06-07-2020, 08:38   #19

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:

I’d thank the customs worker for his recommendation, I’d continue north and leave my flag be
The CBSA officer was obviously trying to be helpful. If the individual in question chooses to fly the American flag, as is their right, then one of the consequences may be to face undeserved slings & arrows from Canadians en route.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:54   #20

Americans are currently not allowed into Europe, Mexico or Canada. I think they're jealous because we are winning against Covid so well! 4.3% of the world population and 30% of the cases...

Old 06-07-2020, 09:03   #21

Boat: Lancer 36

Yes, we are doing so well with testing that people who schedule tests and don't make it to the test still end up with a positive report.......learn how to think critically.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:07   #22

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We live on our boat about 200 yards south of the Canadian/BC border. Believe me, this is real.

I've heard of couples, one American, one Canadian who are quarantining in Victoria and he will not drive his truck with Washington plates due to the vitriol the plates arouse. He hasn't been to the States since February, but no one asks for details, they just rant at him.

I've seen boats coming from Point Roberts, WA (a very odd piece of land attached to the Canadian mainland but sticking out south of 49N so part of WA state). In order to drive they must cross into Canada and then cross again into the US. The hassle isn't worth it, so they bring their boat over to shop. Technically legal, but I have to ask - if they really are part of Canadian mainland aren't they potentially exposing all those people to the virus they might be exposed to here? It's an arbitrary drawing of a line if you think of it.

And so far, I've seen 3 boats with BC registrations at the visitors dock. One came over for lunch, one obviously went to Costco, and one for a mega grocery trip. So the "bleed" of illegal crossings is definitely going in both directions.

Just my observations from the border.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:14   #23

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
The CBSA officer was obviously trying to be helpful. If the individual in question chooses to fly the American flag, as is their right, then one of the consequences may be to face undeserved slings & arrows from Canadians en route.
It’s just a matter of honor and respect, dealing with some Canadian Karen pales in comparison to what others have had to do to defend it.

Let’s flip it, if someone told that customs officer that Canada offended them and told him to rip the Canadian flag off his uniform, how do you think that would play out?
Old 06-07-2020, 09:23   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
Well I agree with you that Fauci is not sane, but he said it and a lot of people were listening.
Stop it.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:25   #25

Boat: C&C 37

The Canadian Govt Regulations are serious. Last week 2 Americans were fined $1000 each (Cdn$). for stopping and camping on a drive-thru permit. You can believe what you want - but the USA does have the highest individual Covid-19 death rate of all countries - and the most diverse and lax controls on personal protection (followed by Brazil). Canada does not want to follow the USA, and we are collectively working hard to not do that.
Sailing/boating does keep people apart, according to our current regulations - I am happily sailing regularly - and keeping to personal mask etc restrictions when on land. It works.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:31   #26

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:

I wasn't talking about the OP lol. One man's patriotism is another man's fetishism.

FWIW: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...31#post3179931

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
A friend who lives aboard in Victoria confronted a US flagged boat that pulled in to the his marina. They claimed to be live aboards in the marina. Then they claimed to be Canadians. They admitted they had been refused entry at Poets Cove, South Pender Island, and then decided to sneak into Victoria.

After being told they were being reported they left the marina. I think they have turned off their AIS.

What part of closed border, do folks not understand?
Old 06-07-2020, 09:34   #27

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Northernmac, their nation.. their rules. Fly the flag... and I love our country too... the official could have just said no transit. But he offered a very common sense solution. Don’t bring unnecessary attention. He is not saying go Benedict Arnold and betray your nation. As an American I am embarrassed at how cavalier we are to the science. We are the most infected nation on this planet. The Canadians have done a much better job at controlling this stealth virus. I work for 40+ years in the hospital with a Masters degree in Microbiology. Never seen anything like this virus. People have a good reason to be reactive to it. If you have to transit Canadian waters be respectful of their wishes and do as they ask? Is that really so hard to understand?
Old 06-07-2020, 09:35   #28

Boat: Union cutter 33

I purchased my boat from USA last year still hadn’t removed old port WA until last week for the reasons pointed out ,, plus took that long to reregister boat in canada getting a letter of deletion from WA ,well that’s another story
Old 06-07-2020, 09:40   #29

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
There would be about a 0.00% chance Id strike the American flag from my vessel.

The border is only closed to non essential, reporting a American flag is silly and Id hope the RCMP would tell the caller to quit wasting their time.

Hassle? Folks gave their life for it, "hassle" is no factor
As a Canadian recently returned to Canadian Waters by boat I'd like to point out that we have also been monitored by the RCMP during our quarantine period.
An RCMP officer actually came to the harbour where we are moored to check on our compliance.
But unlike you I don't think this is a waste of time.
I thanked the officer, and am glad that our government is taking this seriously.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:07   #30

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
It’s just a matter of honor and respect, dealing with some Canadian Karen pales in comparison to what others have had to do to defend it.

Let’s flip it, if someone told that customs officer that Canada offended them and told him to rip the Canadian flag off his uniform, how do you think that would play out?
I don't know what a "Canadian Karen" is NM, but I think I get your sense. But I don't understand your second sentence. The CBSA officer simply made a suggestion that would make the transiting boat's passage go smoothly. It's not a question of offending someone. It's about avoiding any unnecessary misunderstandings.

Like I said, I don't appreciate this fear-based (over)reaction some are having to visitors, but I also understand why this is happening. Canadians have suffered and sacrificed to bring Covid-19 under control. We are now beginning to reap the tentative benefits of all this collective restraint. The last thing we want is to see all this effort go to naught.
Closed Thread

Tags
water