Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2008, 18:11   #1

Am I crazy , also??

Ill try to keep my story short. Ive sailed prams, lazers and small cats (18 -20 ft). I want to buy a used Catalina 34 or similar and keep it in Cartagena (I live in Colombia)and take it on 1 or 2 month trips to the ABC' s , Panama, etc.. then later farther and longer. I also have a new wife that is 6 months pregnant.

I plan on taking advanced sailing, weather and nav. courses . This is not a live aboard plan.( 1 -3 months max. at any given time.)

1. Is it a good idea to take a 6 mth. to 1 yr old sailing , where I want to go?

2. Are the costs of sailing the same for a live aboard as a "short cruise" ?

3. Is it a better to store the boat out of the water if I only use it every 4 or 6 weeks?

4. What electronic equipment (navigation , communication) would I need on a low to medium budget?

5 Is it true that maintence on a used 50K is about 10 % of the value )on average) yearly?

Thank you
devilfishlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 18:57   #2

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
surprised no one has chimed in

so I'll throw in my 2 cents - not in the strict order of your questions:

1. I've read many accounts of young cruising couples with newborns. I'm sure there are threads either here or on sailnet.com with guidance on creating a safe environment.

2. Your short term cruising plan is likely more affordable as it sounds like you will have an income source in between cruises. You can go sooner this way as well since you don't have to spend a couple of years building a long-term cruising kitty.

3. Catalinas are great boats, and your plans for cruising close to South America should enable you to run for cover when necessary. Your annual maintenance won't occur in a smooth steady stream. You will likely drop $10,000 directly after purchase (1 or 2 sails, new head, GPS, batteries, ground tackle, etc), but you may not require another large outlay for th enext couple of years. It isn't hard to imagine spending an average of $5,000 a year on a 34 ft Catalina. Of course, you can scrimp and have a pretty ratty boat in 3 years.

4. A handheld GPS ($200) and some relatively new (but used) charts ($200) will go along way as far as navigation equipment. Certainly wouldn't think a radar is required. A vhf ($400) is required, but not an SSB ($3,000).

5. The sun will do more damage to your boat than the water. If you have access to a safe moorage, there is no problem with leaving in the water. If you will be travelling out of the country for several months, it may be a good idea to put it on the hard - and protect it from the sun!
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:28   #3

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
After I posted last night, I remembered where you are located - duh! I would imagine the labor in your neck of the woods would greatly reduce the cost of maintaining a boat. Most of us plan to hold off on some of those refit jobs until we can make it to Trinidad or Venezuela.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:54   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
A minor point: You can get a marine band VHF transceiver for much less than $400. Closer to $200

I see no problem with your scenario except for one major potential problem.

The big unknown is if your wife is willing to be on a 34 foot boat with an infant. Taking care of a newborn is harder than most new parents anticipate. Taking care of a baby on a boat increases that difficulty. Women change after they have babies. Its not necessarily a good or a bad thing...but they do change. Their greatest priority shifts from taking care of you, to taking care of the baby. Being out on a boat may become a pretty low priority for her...and for you as well.

I would wait a few months until after the child is born before buying the boat and then see how things are.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:09   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Women change after they have babies.
Sometimes they change back, but it takes about 20 years. If they don't change back, you might wind up watching your grandkids while your adult children go cruising.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 13:40   #6

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Devilfishlane,

Where do you plan to keep your s/v when you are not sailing? This is one possible monthly cost. Do you have to insure the s/v? Another cost. How do your plan to keep your s/v? If you want bristol condition then it takes time( do yuo have time) and money. I am still replacing a teak board on my companionway. This project started last June and is still not completed. During the summer months I could not use some of the sealers above 80degrees F. Then I went back towork. Teachers work nights and at least one day each weekend. My wife wants some time with me. There goes the other day of the weekend. Then there are inlaws, cousins, siblings, and children to attend. I had to hire out a bottom job and replacement of thru hulls and seacoks. The sum was 10K. Just some thoughts. Would I give up the s/v? No!

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 19:38   #7

Definitely not going to buy a boat this yr(because of the baby being born in 4 months) Hopefully in early2009

I live near Cartegena and will have time to sail and work on it.

Ill keep it on dry land or at one of the various marinas in/near Cartagena

What are peoples opinions of insurance on a 50 k boat(older Cat.34)? I plan to cruise around the Caribbean and out of reach of hurricane season

I grew up(12yrs to 16yrs old) on small sailboats (prams and lasers) in Fort Laud.( then stop sailing for yrs) I (39 yrs old) still have this passion and most of the $$ to make this happen. Again, I plan to use this boat for week sails up to 2 month sails, at max.(Caribbean) No liveaboads or long term cruising. (well not yet!)

Any advice would be great and by the way, if the young wife doesn't like it----See ya in a month or two Life is toooo short
devilfishlane is offline   Reply With Quote