Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2021, 10:29   #1

Boat: Contrast 33
Alternative to HyperVent?

I want to install an open mesh under my cushions to help with air circulation and keep the cushions dry. From reading other posts on this subject, it seems that the consensus is to use HyperVent mesh. At $10US per linear foot for HyperVent it would cost me $300 to do both cabins and the settees on my boat. I’ve been researching trying to find a more cost effective alternative. Has anyone tried using this product?

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1D9EBE2-E59B-42C5-81B5-0639E225D233.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	231104
CedAir Roof Ventilation Mat

It’s designed to go under cedar roofing and provide an airway to allow the shingles to air out. It looks very similar to HyperVent but without the fabric on one side that HyperVent has. It’s 1 meter wide and 10mm thick. At $2.50US per linear foot it’s much more cost effective. You do have to buy a 60 foot roll, so I’d have to go in with another boat to use it all up, but I estimate it would take 29 linear feet to do all the cushions on my 10 meter monohull, so 2 boats would use up a single roll.

Has anyone tried this or similar products, have thoughts on it, or have other less expensive solutions?

Thanks
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 11:10   #2

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Alternative to HyperVent?

I put in some Hypervent and found a source that was around $9 per foot after a discount (try Mattress Insider). My concern with this alternative is whether it has the same level of rigid support as Hypervent.
Old 24-01-2021, 15:44   #3

Boat: Bristol 29.9

We have a Froli system in the vberth, but in the main cabin we have cheap garage floor tiles that we bought on Amazon. No support like the Froli but it keeps the condensation away.
Old 24-01-2021, 19:59   #4

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Just installed Hypervent in my v-berth. By carefully considering how to minimize waste, I was able to do the v-berth on a 41 ft sailboat with only 9 ft of material. That's the only area where I've notice mold/mildew, so I do not plan to install in the settee or rear berth mattress. Seems like a well made product.
Brezent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2021, 15:50   #5

Boat: Contrast 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
My concern with this alternative is whether it has the same level of rigid support as Hypervent.
That's a good question. I wrote the manufacturer, and they say it supports a 200 pound per square foot load with a 25% compression of the mesh. So more than rigid enough to support a body laying down, or even sitting.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 09:18   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
I put in some Hypervent and found a source that was around $9 per foot after a discount (try Mattress Insider). My concern with this alternative is whether it has the same level of rigid support as Hypervent.

HyperVent says the stuff sold by Mattress Insider is a lower quality knockoff.

The problem is not letting the moisture out, it is the cool/cold surface under the mattress. If that were true, any cushion setting on a non-breathable surface would fold, which they do not. In my experience, you will do just as well insulating the bunk surface with closed cell foam. No more cold surface. In cold climates (not cool summer evenings), foam will work better, because the night air can condense inside HyperVent.
Old 27-03-2022, 14:44   #7

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
n my experience, you will do just as well insulating the bunk surface with closed cell foam. No more cold surface.
Yep, we have been doing the same thing for years now with great results. Cheap blue foam backpacker pads attached with contact cement. Don't know why this hasn't been promoted before, so glad that you brought it up.

JIm