Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2008, 11:22   #16

An alberg 30 is meant to SAIL not sit around the dock and be an entertainment piece..
IF you are looking for a floating condo this ain't it. IF on the other hand you want a boat that can anything it could be it...Carl Alberg drew boats for the ocean not the BOAT SHOW crowd looking for a big 'bathroom, kitchen. His boats have a head and galley...

good luck in your search..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 13:51   #17

rtbates makes a very good point, and one that I came to earlier this morning after looking at the Newport 30'. The guy is asking $12,000, after looking at it, I wouldn't give him more than $8,000. There is a lot of water damage, the inboard is iffy, plus more. It has a lot more living space than the Alberg, but really not much more storage. It has a completely different feel. The only thing I did like better about the Newport than the Alberg was the larger living space, the galley layout (but not the setup, for some reason the guy took out the stove and put a fridge in its place), and the head (the Alberg doesn't have a holding tank, so that would need to be installed). I really liked the Alberg, and there wasn't really anything that I disliked. I liked the look and feel of the Alberg better. The only thing that would hold me back is I don't know if it is enough space, I think it is, but if it isn't I really don't see the Newport offering much more of an advantage. So in other words, I think I am going to go ahead with the Alberg. I need to check on a couple things still (mainly paper work), getting it here and insurance are the two big questions. The guy is up in Vancouver BC, I am in Bellingham WA. What are the taxes like bringing it down from BC? Well any help is still great to have, and thanks for all the input you have already given.

Sly
JRSly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 14:25   #18

Boat: Flicka
Send a message via AIM to conrad
There is an alberg 30 in new Jersey I believe two days left around 6000
Old 18-02-2008, 15:06   #19

I just looked at a great well equipped Alberg 30 with a friend of mine. The owner just purchased an Island Packet and now has two boats. His Alberg 30, is located near Annapolis, Md. and I think the owner is asking 17,000.
He has everything on it, everything works the way it is supposed to work and frankly I was impressed with the upkeep. How about DVD player, TV, bulkhead Kero heater, all rigging etc. It's great!
I can get the name & number for you, if you have any interest or purchase in the Chesapeake is possible. From what I saw, I would be comfortable sailing it right out with nothing more than changing ownership.

(I have my own boat and no interest or connection to this seller, it is just an observation to me)
pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 15:44   #20

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
JRSly,
Your heart and gut and pocketbook have spoken. This is your first boat, and a beauty she will be. It will not be your last boat so don't fret too much over the space issue. Buy her and learn everything about her. Keep her in good shape and when you are ready to move up some day, everything will come together.

Can't help with the tax questions, except that it would be my expectation that you would not owe taxes in Canada, but in Washington where you keep and use her. I may be incorrect on that.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2008, 18:44   #21

So this is kind of off topic, but does anyone know a good surveyor in Vancouver, BC?

Thanks in advance,
Jordan
Old 10-03-2008, 18:23   #22

Pogo,
I might be in the Chesapeake area soon. Would appreciate any info on the Alberg 30 you saw. I'm looking into one for sale at the Annapolis Sail Yard. It's a '68 hull, re-engined with an 18HP Yanmar. Asking price is a bit high at 24K. 17K sounds more within budget. Thanks - J.
tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 22:12   #23

Boat: Hans Christian Christina 43
If those two don't work out, you might want to try a Pearson Vanguard....which I believe is also an Alberg design. First produced in 1965, they have acceptable room and were built like brick outhouses because they were among the first glass boats. I had one and it was an excellent sailing boat.

A narrow beamed boat is good in one very important aspect: it tends to have a low Marchaj rating (lower is good) which indicates its ability to right itself in the event of a knockdown.

Good Luck
jack & lola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:09   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Although Carl Alberg did design for the Pearson Brothers (“Triton 28" etc), I think the Pearson Vanguard was designed by Philip L. Rhodes.
The Alberg 30 and Alberg 37 were built by Whitby Boat Works.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:15   #25

IMHO, an Alberg 30 is much more boat than any Newport..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 16:56   #26

Thanks for the input. I'm an Alberg nut. Typhoon, CD25 (not the D, unfortunately - man, what a beauty!), and a CD27 (my love, my love). Been out of it for a while. I'd like to go back to a CD27 or try a CD28, but I haven't seen any available on the Chesapeake. I hear (and read) the Alberg 30 is a sweet sailor. Any boat derived from the Swedish Folkboat has to be choice prime rib. Plus us old farts probably need more room. I was a youngster of 30 or so when I lived aboard my CD27.
tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 18:37   #27

I purchased the Alberg 30 for $10,000. Now I am just working on getting it down here, I already replaced the running rigging.

Sly
Old 12-03-2008, 19:21   #28

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations on a good choice and a good price! Let us know how it goes.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 06:19   #29

Boat: B24
<I purchased the Alberg 30…>

Congrats… I’ve been tracking this thread rather hoping that the Alberg would be your pick – but having no first hand experience with the Alberg 30 (other than occasional drooling over the years), I’ve sat on my hands… There are still quite a few of the 30s in the Chesapeake Bay area, but they don’t turn over as often as one might imagine – which probably says a whole lot about your choice…
Old 13-03-2008, 06:50   #30
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
CONGRADULATIONS!!!!!!!,

I have always heard that the happiest 2 days of a boat owner is the day of purchase, and the day of sale. It's not true, so enjoy enjoy enjoy. When I sold my first boat Frolic after 17 years. I was truly unhappy..........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, alberg 30