Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2018, 14:30   #1

AGM Batteries - will my cruising style work?

We have 360w solar and a Victron MPPT which has an AGM setting. Our Freedom Heart charger also has an AGM setting.

We spend most of the time on the hook, fridge but no freezer. Main autopilot is hydrovane. We'll be heading south from the UK to cross Atlantic this year so sun should be relatively plentiful. Do you think I'll regret moving away from wet lead acid to AGMs? Should I just stick with decent Trojan wet flooded?

Thoughts?

northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 14:49   #2

Re: AGM Batteries - will my cruising style work?

Toss a coin. If your prepared to give straight flooded lead acid batteries the maintenance they need to give you a long life and you have capabilities to give them an equalizing cha rge every few months then from a financial side they are almost unbeatable. The AGM batteries accept a charge a bit quicker and are sealed and dont require ongoing maintenance..this is advantageous if its difficult to get at your batteries every 30 days to add water.so there are some advantages which is why they are popular. Over the years i have used gel,agm and flooded lead acid and all of them gave me good service and a long life but of course the flooded lead acid is the cheapest.

robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 14:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcave View Post
We have 360w solar and a Victron MPPT which has an AGM setting. Our Freedom Heart charger also has an AGM setting.

We spend most of the time on the hook, fridge but no freezer. Main autopilot is hydrovane. We'll be heading south from the UK to cross Atlantic this year so sun should be relatively plentiful. Do you think I'll regret moving away from wet lead acid to AGMs? Should I just stick with decent Trojan wet flooded?

Thoughts?
You'll find when crossing the Atlantic to the Caribbean that you will need to run your engine quite a bit as your solar generation is really reduced by clouds and your sails shading the panels. That said your windvane will help a lot.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 15:38   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Toss a coin. If your prepared to give straight flooded lead acid batteries the maintenance they need to give you a long life and you have capabilities to give them an equalizing cha rge every few months then from a financial side they are almost unbeatable. The AGM batteries accept a charge a bit quicker and are sealed and dont require ongoing maintenance..this is advantageous if its difficult to get at your batteries every 30 days to add water.so there are some advantages which is why they are popular. Over the years i have used gel,agm and flooded lead acid and all of them gave me good service and a long life but of course the flooded lead acid is the cheapest.
THIS.. THIS IS GREAT ADVICE..

Tons of people will give you all kinds of reasons for one or the other, the fact is, everything you need to know is in Robert Sailor's post.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 19:28   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

If your current AGMs are newish in good shape stick with them, well cared for may last years more.

But if you're willing to go back to FLA next bank, all things being equal they'll last longer.

Assuming quality of course, falsely labelled "marine deep cycle" 12V from Big Box fuggedaboudit.

FLA GCs are super value.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 00:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

FLA GCs are super value.
What do you mean by GCs?
northcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 04:31   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
What do you mean by GCs?
I'm guessing that mean Golf Cart.. The most commonly used lead acid batteries are golf cart batteries (usually Trojan T105)
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 09:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
What do you mean by GCs?
Referring possibly to the sizing code. The standard golf cart battery like a Trojan T-105 is a size GC-2.

For off the hook I personally would stick with FLA batteries. AGMs are a LOT more money and the higher charge acceptance rate I think only marginally faster to full charge.

Unless you have lots of charging, sufficient to fully charge an AGM on a regular basis I would stick with FLA, unless your battery access is terrible and you really need the no maintenance feature.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 10:44   #9
cruiser

Yes, pairs of 6V golf car batts. The Duracells made by Deka IMO even better value than Trojan, about $1/AH
Old 24-03-2018, 12:59   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Yes, pairs of 6V golf car batts. The Duracells made by Deka IMO even better value than Trojan, about $1/AH
I should specify $1 / AH at 12V, that's ~$200 per pair plus a bit for the drive to Sam's or Batteries+.
Old 24-03-2018, 13:15   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I should specify $1 / AH at 12V, that's ~$200 per pair plus a bit for the drive to Sam's or Batteries+.
How much will the 'drive to Sams' add? because i think he is in NW Europe at the moment before departing to cross the Atlantic.

For reference, 4 x T105s are $867 incl delivery to somewhere in the UK.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/industrial-b...ojan/t-105-x4/

What sort of price could he buy them for in the Caribbean?

Northcave, how old are the existing batteries and do you think they will withstand this summers cruising and an Atlantic cross next winter?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2018, 05:21   #12

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

AGM are good and best for a week end boat being kept at the marina.

Ok, l feel like ANY type can sport well under such conditions.

FLA are more resilient to abuse, and cheaper
AGM are good for maintenance , but DIE all at once
GEL are critical in cold climates, very demanding on charging Voltage, most expensive too

Any battery must be topped to 100% not always but regularly. In that, solar is a must usually.
Another tip, a larger capacity reduces the cycling....
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 18:45   #13

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have 7 and 8 year’s on our two Lifeline AGM banks, 360 AH each. One is spiraling in for a death dive this year so we are replacing with carbon foam AGM 450 AH. These permit 80% discharge so we will net a lot of capacity increase. We had planned lithium but the change to infrastructure and programming was a bit daunting.

Sun is always the wrong direction so your solar farm will be shadowed more than you like. The wind vane and wind steer will help a lot. Once in the Caribbean the wind is always east. This make solar panel planning possible.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:17   #14
cruiser

Even Firefly live much longer keeping to shallower cycling, assuming frequent use.

Sure, **less damage** than other AGM, going down to say 70% DoD when needed.

But given the high cost / AH I'd shoot for below 50% to only be occasionally, not routine.
Old 09-07-2018, 15:45   #15

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

You can find deep cycle AGMs in Europe for a little over 1 euro per Ah as well. To me, this is the technology that makes most sense on a boat, especially after an incident where I had battery acid eat through my shorts and underwear—but no further.

2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, cruising