Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 20:39   #76

Re: Aging Newbie - CANADIAN EXPERIENCE ONLY- need advice from Experienced Sailors

Hi guys!
I'm in Canada on Lake Ontario. I bought last year 26 ft Contessa but I don't want to dock in Marinas . I thought about dropping mooring off shore somewhere and park my boat like that. I have solar power on the boat and love the quiet. How does this work legally? Can I just anchor my boat like that? Can I drop mooring ball and attach my sailboat to it?
Thanks so much .
Fair sailings!
Fain Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 05:16   #77

Boat: Gemini, 1993 #379 34' Shearwater
Re: Aging Newbie Needs Reality Check from Experienced Sailors

The legality of a mooring depends on complex series of local and national laws that are almost impossible to decipher and at least in the states there are enough state of rap in flux.

Your best bet is to look around your potential mooring field and see if there are other boats similar to yours that are more there.

If other boats are mooring there hang around on a Saturday and ask them what rules they had to follow. Frequently there is a permit required from the local community.

I've used moorings for years, things to consider our access to the boat. Some areas charge a modest mooring fee and include a shuttle that takes you to and from the boat. I found this the best.

If there is no available shuttle, consider where are you will keep your dinghy and if you will take it home with you each time you come to the boat.

Water is also a consideration, as his access to a doc for occasional provisioning and repairs.

If you were on a mooring, and it is a strong warning, I found your boat survives warm weather and other boats with less likelihood of damage. I've kept those on a mooring ranging from a Gemini 34, a Pearson 36, and a voyage 43 all of which I've lived on at one time or another.

Mooring living is quiet but lacks some of the marine experience. I originally chose the morning to get away from secondhand cigarette smoke because I'm very sensitive. It is ideal for some people but not for everyone.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 06:03   #78

Boat: Want a B430!
Re: Aging Newbie - CANADIAN EXPERIENCE ONLY- need advice from Experienced Sailors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fain Lady View Post
Hi guys!
I'm in Canada on Lake Ontario. I bought last year 26 ft Contessa but I don't want to dock in Marinas . I thought about dropping mooring off shore somewhere and park my boat like that. I have solar power on the boat and love the quiet. How does this work legally? Can I just anchor my boat like that? Can I drop mooring ball and attach my sailboat to it?
Thanks so much .
Fair sailings!
Captstu gave you a rather lengthy answer with lots of good points.

The short answer is "NO" However, you can anchor just about anywhere.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 07:46   #79

Boat: Oday 25

Hi Kerry- I don't know where you are located, but if you're near NYC you could join the Nyack Boat Club, in Nyack NY which is a club where all the work is done by the members and the dues are inexpensive at $700 per year. This will put you in a boating social enviroment where you can sail as much as you want on other peoples boats. No one gets left out. We even have an adult sailing lesson class. So within a season you should at least be able to sail by yourself. Then you'll know much more about sailing and how much work and dollars there is to owning a boat. If not in this area, find a similar club near you.
I've downsized to a 25' sailboat but it's still costing over $3000 per year to maintain with dockage, insurance, paint etc, and I do almost all the work myself at age 77.
Put yourself in a marine enviroment and you might find a partner with the same interest and you could share the costs.
ebsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 11:26   #80

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
- lots of logistics to sort out.
Hi Keri, check your messages.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 18:21   #81

OMG! Thank you SO much!!!!! I see you have a little puppy! Me too! I love the pictures! Immediately imagined myself onboard feasting my eyes on all the many different kinds of boats. And your dinette area, oh, I was so-o-o there!!! LOL!! I love it! From your picture it looks like you might just be able to keep that one frivolous thing just because you want it. I love the spaciousness, tall ceiling, big windows, and it has that look of "welcome home." Thank you so much! How is she in a storm?
KeriMoonbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 01:05   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
List your general location. Some of us can give you a sail for the day. Come on over.
I am in that prime sailing spot Nebraska.

Boating is different here in farming country where they say the cows outnumber the people. Well, we're gonna see if we can find some water and see if this cooler will float!
Old 18-03-2017, 02:00   #83

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeriMoonbeam View Post
OMG! Thank you SO much!!!!! I see you have a little puppy! Me too! I love the pictures! Immediately imagined myself onboard feasting my eyes on all the many different kinds of boats. And your dinette area, oh, I was so-o-o there!!! LOL!! I love it! From your picture it looks like you might just be able to keep that one frivolous thing just because you want it. I love the spaciousness, tall ceiling, big windows, and it has that look of "welcome home." Thank you so much! How is she in a storm?
How nice you are Keri! You'll fit right in among the boat gals I know.

My first mate's name is Skipper and she's definitely a boat dog. I trained her to use the swim platform as "outside" so those trips to shore are for pleasure, not to walk the dog. During the winter when I'm too far north she uses a puppy pad inside the door to my cockpit.

What kind of fur ball do you have?
I do so appreciate Skipper and call her my Social Secretary. People are drawn to dogs and seem more open and friendly.

Being able to see out while sitting down is VERY important to me. Even in blustery weather I can enjoy the outdoors, safe and comfy inside. I feel less exposed too.

I don't advertise that I'm a soloist woman (though I suppose with nearly 3 million hits on my website SOME have figured that out!!!) ...

You're right about Keepers. If it is something I love, it's aboard. The "little things" make me happy. And it's fun when someone spots something that has been there forever.

For instance, I have these koi curtain rod holders in over the window on the port side. They are not IN YOUR FACE yet they are kinda cool in my opinion.

That lantern was in my cabin when I was a kid. Originally it came from a lobster boat Mother's family owned/ran. Koi shown too... you have to look though which is just the way I like it.

I am fortunate Keri.

I used to quilt a lot so I have my Featherweight in a locker along with some fabric in case I want to sew someday. I made a quilt at anchor one autumn. This one:

Since it will be just you and the pup aboard your boat you can use all those lockers for your most loved items. And you can decorate as you please too. It's like playing house except it's a boat.

Who wouldn't want a pretty suncatcher? I spotted this turtle at the Carrabelle Riverfront Festival one year. The artist Rita turned it into a suncatcher for my forward cabin portlight. Now the sunlight doesn't disturb my afternoon nap by shining on my face.

And coming home at night the turtle offers a warm glow when I leave the light on in my cabin.

I've probably tuckered out your eyes with all the photos. Can you tell I love my boat?!?!

You'd asked about storms. I've been thus far in three tropical storms while aboard Seaweed. She's fine. I take her up rivers, bayous and tributaries -- getting her hidden away from long stretches of open water. There's a few articles about Tropical storms on my website.

I have not yet (knock teak) been in a hurricane aboard her. If one were coming I'd do what I have done previously: take Seaweed as far inland as I can get and wait it out.

In the first storm several of us were anchored on a river. We kept in VHF contact during the storm. That was helpful. The above photo was taken either just before or just after Tropical Storm Beryl came through. I can't remember now. Article here: Janice142 article (Tropical Storm) Beryl Lessons

Anyway, that's life onboard my boat. I'll leave you with one thought:

Good luck finding your Dream Boat. It really is a great life out here.
Old 21-03-2017, 20:39   #84

Janice142, thank you for the marvelous post! Are you permitted to list your website? You didn't come close to tiring my eyes out with pictures! Quite the contrary!
My little fur buddy is Nando (pronounced NON doe, short for Fernando). He's a 26 pound wire haired fox terrier, 5 years old, and doesn't like to swim. I'd post a picture but can't figure out how. I love the swim platform/puppy potty idea! My little guy loves to run! And he's very prey driven, so I've wondered what all this would be like for him. Could he run after sea gulls or run around the deck barking if someone goes by with a dog without flying off the boat? Do you just have to let him learn and be there to guide or rescue...
Your decor is awesome! I love the brass and all the nautical things and themes. I keep hearing folks talk about doing all these things to their boats - like you hanging curtain rods and that gorgeous lantern - but most of my experience has been on fiberglass open motorboats, so I can't quite wrap my feeble little brain around installing such things. Maybe I should give storage a tad more thought before I start wholesale disposing of my most cherished posessions. I love stained glass and love your turtle. I've got a couple salvaged stained glass windows and a bit of an art collection and those are the most difficult to imagine parting with.
So, your "locker" for your sewing machine is on your boat???? I love doing various crafts. I'm working on a quilt now. I'd likely let my sewing machine go in favor of some other craft stuff for items I'm hoping to start selling on Etsy soon.
Anyway, I'm sleep deprived, so should stop here for now.
Thank you so very much! You have given much to think about and saved me from prematurely getting rid of my most cherished belongings. I can part with it all, but I don't want to end somewhere going "Well, darn! I shouldn't have gotten rid of that!" LOL!
My brain is overheating! LOL!!!
THANK YOU!!!
Old 22-03-2017, 05:12   #85

I grew up in Omaha, and learned to sail there. There are lots of lakes, and lots of opportunities to learn to sail, in Nebraska. You just have to look.

Of course, you won't be sailing on large cruising catamarans, but the things you learn about sail trim, line handling, point of sail, and so on all transfers to the bigger boats. In fact, many people believe (and I'm one of them) that you can learn more about sailing, more quickly, on small boats than you can if you start out on larger ones.

I would make one other comment. You started out saying that you wanted to buy the biggest and best catamaran that you can afford. I would suggest that it would be a better idea to look for the smallest and simplest catamaran that will serve all your needs. That will get you into a boat sooner, cost you less in maintenance over the years, and leave you more money for living on.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 06:22   #86

Boat: Catalina 36 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fain Lady View Post
Hi guys!
Thanks so much .
Fair sailings!
I would not leave my boat on a mooring in the open lake. It can get too rough for safety there. Moorings are typically located in protected areas. Also you need a spot on shore to store the dinghy you need to get to the boat. With the exception of the eastern third, the north shore of Lake Ontario is not great for anchoring unfortunately. It has an emergent coastline which means it is pretty smooth, not many bays. Also it has a large population, this has meant that basically any largish spot that would be suitable for anchoring (river mouths and artificial landfill areas) are full of yacht club and marina docks. If you are in the Bay of Quinte area you could pursue the possibility of a mooring, further west, ain't going to happen.
Old 22-03-2017, 15:34   #87

I totally agree with you that learning to sail is probably easier and quicker on a small boat where you immediately feel changes in the wind, the effects of the sails, etc. In fact, one of my original questions about a big catamaran was since they are said to practically sail themselves, would it even really be like sailing. Apparently, yes, you definitely are still sailing and it feels like it. But I think you must be right that learning on a smaller boat would definitely have advantages plus it's something I could do now to advance my final goal while I work that last few days/weeks/months at my job.
People who have posted on this thread have given me a million dollar education and I realize that my initial idea was pretty ridiculous but like you, everyone was willing to think outside the box I had created and they offered lots of good suggestions - like yours. I think learning anything and everything I can and getting some sailing experience (and maybe some boat maintenance experience) while I'm still in Nebraska would be excellent.
I thought I wanted a big catamaran because they're supposed to be so stable and I just wanted the space - but it's pretty obvious from everything I've read here, that such a boat is just out of reach for me. And, that's okay. Maybe a small catamaran or monohull would be perfect - I just don't know. Everything is on the table for consideration.
One of the few things I know for sure about sailing is that I have everything to learn.
My heart is set on a sailboat because I'm just crazy stupid in love with sailboats and the one time I actually sailed a little 16 footer by myself for a few minutes (with teacher by my side), there is nothing on earth like that feeling when the wind filled the sail(s) and I felt that amazing little boat respond to me. It was heaven! It was the BEST!
So, I'm researching away and considering all the ways I might tweak "the dream" and I thank you more than you would guess for sharing your wisdom and experience!
Thank you!
Old 22-03-2017, 15:55   #88

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Keri,

Now is the time to sign up for sailing lessons. Lessons will probably start at the end of May, but don't wait because classes are usually small and only have a few spots. Check your local received center, they might already be offering classes.

Oh, and lake sailing will teach you more than you think about ocean sailing. Being in Nebraska you will get fairly steady winds so you will get to actually sail instead of tack!
Good luck!
Old 22-03-2017, 16:23   #89

Boat: Lagoon 450F

And to throw yet another wrinkle into the scheme of things, I began the same way, and only bought what I could afford. Along the way I owned a Robalo 2440 coastal fishing boat,1985 Catalina 22 mono,1986 Condor 40 trimaran, 1995 F-31 trimaran, and currently a 2004 Corsair 36 trimaran. I also sailed aboard (including trans-Atlantic), the Pride of Baltimore II IN 2000.

As you can tell, I went from falling in love with sailing (I love all kinds of sailing vessels) to falling in love with "performance sailing." There's nothing like easily reaching on a trimaran at 15 knots. I'm still learning to sail and in my 60's; my wife (as of last year) is in her 50's and is a newbie to the water, but really enjoys it. She enjoyed starting on the Catalina 22, but prefers the tri, and especially cats for their performance and flat sailing. It seems as though we'll soon put her up for sale, and look for a cat we can afford - new or used, depending.

My advice is to climb aboard and try everything you can. Then start forming an opinion of what you prefer and why. More importantly, find out what your partner/wife/husband/friend enjoys - that might make all the difference down the road. If not for my wife, I'd sail our tri forever, but I prefer sailing with her, so a cat it shall be and we'll both be happy.

Good luck! As I think back, I'm smiling about all the great learning moments before you. ~Lee
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 17:20   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Being in Nebraska you will get fairly steady winds so you will get to actually sail instead of tack!
Good luck!
Yes! The lake I sailed on was surrounded by small hills - outside Kansas City, MO - and the winds constantly changed direction, so I was probably just tacking. But there was always a breeze.

Tags
enc, sail