Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2019, 16:33   #31

Boat: Pearson 303
Re: After two years of research im more confused than even on what boat is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmlt View Post
I’ve been looking at buying a yacht/boat to live aboard with my wife and 2 ½ year old daughter that would take us from the Med, across the Atlantic, cruise the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and onto the Galapagos and across the pacific visiting the many charming island it has on offer with a long stop in NZ before completing the circumnavigation past good hope and back to the med. I was raised on the water and had a 12 year career in the Superyacht industry with 10 of those years as captain. I currently own a brokerage and yacht refit company in malta so I think I’m quite clued up on yachting.
YET I’m so confused about what boat I think is best for what I want. I’m so drawn to older we’ll built full keel yachts but my wife is insistent on a cat for livability. She also says if we can’t afford a cat I want a Beneteau or jeanneau because they seem homely. I understand where she is coming from because a stable platform of a cat brings such comfort especially when we’d be at anchor most of the time and are not planning on testing the southern ocean apart from South Africa. To be honest I can’t afford a cat at this time and don’t want to wait till I can as the desire to get away from this negative corporate world is my one drive for a happy life! So the options that I have are mass production boat with comforts and space which my wife falls for( as do many people who don’t understand what’s out there) or a solid boat from the 80’s that gives me peace of mind. Whenever I’ve raised a discussion within many forums I always get that Beneteau’s have crossed more oceans than any other brand, yet I just have such doubts about the strength of these boats. I wish I had the cash flow to set myself up with a new solid cruiser but I am not in that position. Another issue is the transom, having a little girl I see it as a necessity from a safe boarding to and from the tender as we head to shore and back. So my point is the more I research the more confused I become. I think it’s time to make a call and see what our choice is like! I’d love your feedback positive or not!
Paralysis by analysis wins again!
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 16:41   #32

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: After two years of research im more confused than even on what boat is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg K View Post
First world problem. Buy a boat you both can fall in love with. Strong build, seakindly design and a manageable rig in all conditions for one person to handle should be your priorities for offshore voyaging.

Take your time and enjoy the tire kicking. No shortage of good, solid boats for sale.
Also if it's ( she's ) easy on the eye it will help to fall in love !!!
I go down to Sydney a fair bit to work on boats and I notice that when I motor through mooring fields the best looking boats seem to be maintained better too. There sure are some ugly ones out there. Some modern ones too a few years old that are neglected and super ugly !!!Probably bought at a marina or boat show where you cannot see how ugly they are.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 16:58   #33

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

Quote:
I was raised on the water and had a 12 year career in the Superyacht industry with 10 of those years as captain. I currently own a brokerage and yacht refit company .....what boat I think is best ...,,I’d love your feedback positive or not!
I know little about boats but a bit about decision making processes. I have highlighted what I think is the most relevant parts of your post. You have adequate experience, knowledge and information...enough to know that there really is no “best” boat, yet are “confused” about what is “best”.

This isn’t really a boat problem but a psychology/ self knowledge problem unlikely to be answered by seeking yet more information on a boating forum. In fact, I think that seeking more information on a forum is a way to not act. Figure out why you are blocking yourself from acting and address THAT.
Salty Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 17:14   #34

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just scanned through this thread. In defence of older boats, mine just turned 42, and is still going strong. It will outlast me unless I do something very stupid.

I have been around boats long enough to know design, build and maintenance matters more than than age — at least when we’re talking about fibreglass boats. A ‘good old boat’ that checks high in these three categories is likely a better financial deal than a newer one.

It is harder to find an older boat that does score high in all three, but there are plenty out there, and many with a proven track record of safe, comfortable cruising.

Not saying for one moment that the newer mass market boats aren’t fine too. It is poppycock to suggest the modern crop of benny/jenneaie/hunterie boats can’t do it all. But don’t be fooled into thinking these will somehow be maintenance-free either. All boats subjected to the rigours of travel will need support. Look for good bones.
Old 29-09-2019, 05:13   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Since cost is mentioned as a concern, I suggest the older mono, 70's or 80's. The hard part is finding one that someone else has already completely refit, so you don't have to. These older boats, well kept, are a pleasure to sail and often beautiful below with warm woodwork and excellent craftsmanship. Find a good one and your wife will love it. Rather than trying to select a boat based on specs, look at whats available in your area first. Easier to view, easier to buy.

By spending less on the boat, you'll have more freedom once your trip begins. Worrying about money can ruin your trip.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 05:21   #36

Boat: Volkscruiser

Salty Possum I think you got it right. Danmlt kind of reminds me of my wife. If we go out for dinner I start discussing the menu with her long before we get to the restaurant. That we She can make up her mind before they close!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 05:53   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Salty Possum I think you got it right. Danmlt kind of reminds me of my wife. If we go out for dinner I start discussing the menu with her long before we get to the restaurant. That we She can make up her mind before they close!
Cheers
Its really dawned on me in recent years that women and men are very different......who would of figured[emoji1787][emoji1787].....oh and those differences seem to be increasing as I age.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2019, 07:50   #38

I own a HYLAS 44 1991. Plenty of room.
It is located in the Netherlands and I suppose it could circumnavigate.
My leg, my eyes, I want to sell
jakkum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2019, 19:54   #39

Boat: Moody, 33 MK1, 10mtrs

Quote:
I’ve been looking at buying a yacht/boat to live aboard with my wife and 2 ½ year old daughter that would take us from the Med, across the Atlantic, cruise the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal and onto the Galapagos and across the pacific visiting the many charming island it has on offer with a long stop in NZ before completing the circumnavigation past good hope and back to the med. I was raised on the water and had a 12 year career in the Superyacht industry with 10 of those years as captain. I currently own a brokerage and yacht refit company in malta so I think I’m quite clued up on yachting.
YET I’m so confused about what boat I think is best for what I want. I’m so drawn to older we’ll built full keel yachts but my wife is insistent on a cat for livability. She also says if we can’t afford a cat I want a Beneteau or jeanneau because they seem homely. I understand where she is coming from because a stable platform of a cat brings such comfort especially when we’d be at anchor most of the time and are not planning on testing the southern ocean apart from South Africa. To be honest I can’t afford a cat at this time and don’t want to wait till I can as the desire to get away from this negative corporate world is my one drive for a happy life! So the options that I have are mass production boat with comforts and space which my wife falls for( as do many people who don’t understand what’s out there) or a solid boat from the 80’s that gives me peace of mind. Whenever I’ve raised a discussion within many forums I always get that Beneteau’s have crossed more oceans than any other brand, yet I just have such doubts about the strength of these boats. I wish I had the cash flow to set myself up with a new solid cruiser but I am not in that position. Another issue is the transom, having a little girl I see it as a necessity from a safe boarding to and from the tender as we head to shore and back. So my point is the more I research the more confused I become. I think it’s time to make a call and see what our choice is like! I’d love your feedback positive or not!
Keep it simple, 30 to 40 foot, 1975-1985, solid build, GRP, long or fin keel, centre cockpit, easy single handed sailing in an emergency.
plenty of these in the med.
Dignity too is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, boat, research