Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2013, 16:15   #361

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumelia View Post
I could be mistaken, but isn't it true that the US health care system pays for all development of new medicines, most R&D for new medical devices, as well as most pioneering medical techniques? In that sense, the US system subsidizes the entire globe.
No. Your forgetting about places like Canada, Switzerland, France, Britain, South Africa, Germany, & a whole ton of other countries that have excellent pharmaceutical and medical research facilities as well as production facilities.
Old 07-11-2013, 16:19   #362

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Affordable Care Act - catastrophic plans cancelled

Quote:
I could be mistaken, but isn't it true that the US health care system pays for all development of new medicines, most R&D for new medical devices, as well as most pioneering medical techniques? In that sense, the US system subsidizes the entire globe.
No, those things are paid for by profits. Profits are paid for by people buying things. The "system" isn't paying for them - the people needing healthcare are.

BTW, pharmaceutical companies exist in many other countries - Germany and Switzerland are giants there. France is a large player in pioneering medical techniques. In fact, most of the amazing headlines in recent years have been about French advances. South Africa pioneered heart transplantation, for another example.

In the US political discourse and belief system, what you ask is true. In the real world, it is not.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 16:31   #363

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
No. Your forgetting about places like Canada, Switzerland, France, Britain, South Africa, Germany, & a whole ton of other countries that have excellent pharmaceutical and medical research facilities as well as production facilities.
Sadly, you can cross Britain off the list of pharmaceutical company greatness. Once a pillar of pharmaceutical R&D, it is no more. Their terroristic animal rights activists (NOT associated with the government - this isn't a political statement) and antagonistic business policies (that is government-related) have caused almost all of them to pull out of the country. Pfizer left several years ago and Novartis just announced they couldn't take it anymore. The few remaining have shuttered down to only performing local clinical studies necessary for country approval and not R&D.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-11-2013, 16:42   #364

Boat: Columbia 24

Well, I always figured that since we pay these outlandishly high rates for medicine and services here in the US that it was going toward R&D. Of course, we do have these outrageous legal costs folded into the medical fees. I have heard that medical doctors have to pay upwards of 250000 USD per year for malpractice premiums. Too bad B. O. Care hasn't done anything about that issue!
Eumelia is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 16:45   #365

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
If it is so good……… why did Congress and the Exec E-X-E-M-P-T themselves!

My coverage (Male mid 50’s, perfect health, Non-smoker) goes from $262/mo with $5K deductible to $795/month with $6K

My Wife (pre-existing condition) from $350/mo, same $5K deductible…. to $1895???? WTF?

So much for retirement; I need to go back to work:bang head:

The Gov’t can kiss my butt! I’m going naked…. saving the premium to pay for out of pocket, and “the system” can go to Hell!
I am very sorry to hear this is hitting you so hard.

And that, ladies and gentlemen is how this is all cruising related.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 19:48   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post

I am very sorry to hear this is hitting you so hard.

And that, ladies and gentlemen is how this is all cruising related.
I just checked prices on Highmark, a Large provider here in PA and the highest price plan for 50 yr old nonsmoker was a about $520 without any subsidies.
Tantalus is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 20:08   #367

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:

My coverage (Male mid 50’s, perfect health, Non-smoker) goes from $262/mo with $5K deductible to $795/month with $6K

My Wife (pre-existing condition) from $350/mo, same $5K deductible…. to $1895???? WTF?

So much for retirement; I need to go back to work:bang head:

The Gov’t can kiss my butt! I’m going naked…. saving the premium to pay for out of pocket, and “the system” can go to Hell!
That sucks. Hope you can work something else out. Sail across the gulf for routine medical and dental work. Some docs may work out a cash rate, and if you're healthy and not buying several hundred bucks a month in scrips etc., you can really squirrel away some money. What does a catastrophic plan with higher deductible cost?
cheoah is offline   Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 21:59   #368

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Well.....because they didn't...

Congress, the Affordable Care Act, and the Myth of the 'Exemption' | Brookings Institution

Quote:
Under a provision of ACA, Congressmen and their staffs are required to purchase health care from Exchanges.
Quote:
The irony: Congress is treated as a unique entity, not because it is exempted from the Affordable Care Act, but because it is the only large employer forced onto its Exchanges.
Old 07-11-2013, 23:48   #369
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Hogwash actually

Dave
Old 08-11-2013, 03:52   #370

Boat: Columbia 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
No, those things are paid for by profits. Profits are paid for by people buying things. The "system" isn't paying for them - the people needing healthcare are.

BTW, pharmaceutical companies exist in many other countries - Germany and Switzerland are giants there. France is a large player in pioneering medical techniques. In fact, most of the amazing headlines in recent years have been about French advances. South Africa pioneered heart transplantation, for another example.

In the US political discourse and belief system, what you ask is true. In the real world, it is not.

Mark
So, for those of us who love useless data... based on List of pharmaceutical companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the top six countries for pharmaceutical research are as follows:
USA 29.8 billion USD
Switzerland 18.3 billion USD
UK 6.6 billion USD
France 6.1 billion USD
Germany 2.4 billion USD
Sweden 4.4 billion USD
All of this money ultimately comes out of the pockets of consumers and taxpayers, of course. Anyone here getting your money's worth?
I do know from speaking with colleagues from India, that in the USA we pay 10x for the same drugs as they do. How does it compare to European countries?
Eumelia is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 05:17   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

Mark

Oh, and where do profits in the pharmaceutical industry come from? The U.S., which comprises more than half of the world pharmaceutical market. Given the market size, does the U.S. pay less for pharmaceuticals? Nope.

So yes, the U.S. is subsidizing the world's pharmaceutical development.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 05:18   #372

Quote:
I do know from speaking with colleagues from India, that in the USA we pay 10x for the same drugs as they do. How does it compare to European countries?
Bingo.

Why do bandits rob banks?

Because that's where the money is.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:19   #373

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
It is not about R&D spend - it is about results.

Where was penicillin invented? Not the USA. Long time ago.

Where was the latest produced in burn recovery? Not the USA. Quite recently.

You should just contain your egos and copy any system. Don't reinvent the wheel!

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 05:21   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Hogwash actually

Dave
Nice response. Now, go back and research the issue. Google is your friend, and the information is readily available.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:26   #375

Quote:
So, for those of us who love useless data... based on List of pharmaceutical companies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the top six countries for pharmaceutical research are as follows:
USA 29.8 billion USD
Switzerland 18.3 billion USD
UK 6.6 billion USD
France 6.1 billion USD
Germany 2.4 billion USD
Sweden 4.4 billion USD
All of this money ultimately comes out of the pockets of consumers and taxpayers, of course. Anyone here getting your money's worth?
Those data are from 2009. Since that time, Pfizer and Novartis have pulled out of the UK and GlaxoSmithKline has scaled back their operations significantly. I'm afraid the next round of data collection will not have the UK in the top research spending.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who think they have received their money's worth with pharmaceuticals. Drugs have done a lot of good, and many have replaced much more costly and invasive older treatments. Some are keeping people alive where no other treatment would or could.

As for cost, why shouldn't free market forces be in effect here? Why shouldn't pharmaceutical companies price their product to what the market will pay? Currently, the US market is willing to pay higher prices. No one forces anyone to buy drugs. Markets in other countries do not support those prices so the costs are lower.

The opposite is true for electronics, clothing, etc in the US vs. the UK.

It is certainly an interesting exercise to figure out and understand why this is.

But one cannot be a free-market, no regulation, no social programs, everyone for themselves libertarian capitalist and complain about drug pricing. (I'm not saying you are - I'm talking in the general sense).

Mark

Closed Thread