Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2018, 10:57   #46

Boat: Najad 460, 46 ft
Re: Advice on re-upholstering interior cushions

thanks -the big question is if we can get zippers open and shut - it think they are plastic - but pretty corroded - someone suggested chap stick- if we can get them clean, maybe new zippers and buttons would be a way to go - I am skeptical - but even cleaner cushions before replacement would be nice!

thanks

susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Alcantara is excellent, but with a price tag to match. A good grade of leather is no more expensive.

A huge bonus with Alacantara is that it washes well and copes with long soaks in Oxyxlean/Vanish. The Alcantara upholstery on our previous boat was 18 years old when I gathered up the courage and washed it, soaking in Vanish overnight. It came up like new, except for the age related wear and tear. Even the biro notations that an upholsterer had scribbled all over the cushions when asked to quote for replacement came out completely.

Metal zips tend to corrode though with Oxyclean/Vanish. It is peroxide based.

SWL
livbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 12:49   #47

Boat: Valiant 40
Advice on re-upholstering interior cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by livbysea View Post
How is the sunbrella with regard to comfort

susan

I would say it’s “ok”. I’ve never noticed it being uncomfortable but I would not call it soft.
Old 29-06-2018, 13:40   #48

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I would say it’s “ok”. I’ve never noticed it being uncomfortable but I would not call it soft.
Foam type and thickness have a lot to do with comfort. Sunbrella feels a little like canvas, it is not a soft fabric. It is not hot and sticky like vinyl (we are in south Florida, no AC). Cleans easily with Simple Green.
jkishel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:22   #49

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Island Nautical does first class work. In think they are NY or Mass . They have done work for me and they just dont cut corners.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:10   #50

Yes washing covers works, done it several times. Cold water. But sometimes the type of fabric is so gross you just want to change.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:24   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
Island Nautical does first class work. In think they are NY or Mass . They have done work for me and they just dont cut corners.
thanks will look into that

susan
Old 06-07-2018, 08:25   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes washing covers works, done it several times. Cold water. But sometimes the type of fabric is so gross you just want to change.
the fabric is high end - but no idea if it would come clean. Unfortunately, the zipper tabs are shot - so if I take the covers off, I won't be able to get them back on without replacing zippers - so I think it's time for new ones....

susan
Old 06-07-2018, 09:25   #53

Boat: Gemini 3200, 32 feet

Very helpful .
I’ll check out Brisa.
Joseph
Gemini 3300 cat
jmiddleton276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:33   #54

I have Sunbrella (tropical floral pattern) over a commercial closed cell foam - 13 years old and it still sits and looks like new. Forget any non-washable or non-breathing plethers or open cell foam. Microfiber feels good but does not clean well.
ddugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:47   #55

thanks - gather you do not like washable ultras suede.

susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddugger View Post
I have Sunbrella (tropical floral pattern) over a commercial closed cell foam - 13 years old and it still sits and looks like new. Forget any non-washable or non-breathing plethers or open cell foam. Microfiber feels good but does not clean well.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:57   #56

Susan, I have a living room full of microfiber upholstery. It was great for a couple of years and then it starting darkening and the more I cleaned it the faster it would darken again.

I would never use it in a boat - and especially a live aboard where sunscreen, body oils, food, red wine, etc, etc. are more concentrated and free flowing by the life style. The Sunbrella I have - had that in mind - it's tropical pattern is very forgiving and it has velcro attachments for cover removal for washing. It will soften with age, but will always be stain resistant. It will be tough to find anything that will wear and service like Sunbrella or equivalent acrylic exterior fabrics.
ddugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:16   #57

interesting and helpful info - thanks!
susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddugger View Post
Susan, I have a living room full of microfiber upholstery. It was great for a couple of years and then it starting darkening and the more I cleaned it the faster it would darken again.

I would never use it in a boat - and especially a live aboard where sunscreen, body oils, food, red wine, etc, etc. are more concentrated and free flowing by the life style. The Sunbrella I have - had that in mind - it's tropical pattern is very forgiving and it has velcro attachments for cover removal for washing. It will soften with age, but will always be stain resistant. It will be tough to find anything that will wear and service like Sunbrella or equivalent acrylic exterior fabrics.
Old 06-07-2018, 13:27   #58

Boat: Beneteau 43

A couple years ago I got tired of stressing about our lovely off white cushions and bought striped Alfresco brand fabric and had someone make covers that fit like fitted sheets with elastic. The fabric is extremely durable and very washable and comfortable. We spend months at a time cruising and do laundry in various places. Love the soft texture and ease of maintenance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Saloon Full view July 12018.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	173156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140810_161621.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	410.5 KB
ID:	173157  

sailorbobdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:41   #59

We also chose Brisa after a careful search. Our previous boat had Ultrasuede which had been good but did stain.

Four years in the Brisa still looks new. Before committing, I poured red wine on a sample and left the puddle overnight. Cleaned up completely with just a damp towel.

Brisa's other advantage is that it breaths. Bare thighs doen't stick to it like most fake leathers and it doesn't get hot.

Expensive but not so much extra when you look at the labor cost of having quality cushions made.

If the cushions are settees which will rarely be used as a bed, have the cushion guy insert some padding under the middle of the cushion to give it some crown.

Also, work hard to get the foam cut to the correct angles. Look at a comfortable chair, the seat slopes slightly down towards the back. The back cushion goes straight up for 4" or so for lumbar support and then slopes back. Sure, you can use small pillows to make up for uncomfortable seats but it doesn't cost more to have the cushion guy do it right.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:57   #60

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Another vote for Alcantara. It is made by the same company as UltraSuede, and appears similar, but has a better backing. I have used Simple Green to good effect for cleaning. I also have a special cleaner for Alcantara but haven't tried it yet. When I get back to the boat I'll find the name for you. Alcantara is very comfortable in the tropics - soft and breathable - and of course not particularly slippery either. I am very happy with it the last dozen years, and will be replacing the foam inside this year but keeping the upholstery.

My first fabric was contract nylon. It was very durable (it is used on office furniture) but not that comfortable on bare skin, it pills a lot, it stretches too much. So glad to be rid of it

The problem with most zippers is not the zipper itself, as that should always be plastic on a boat, but the pulls. Many pulls are cheap metal and corrode easily; the only ones to use on a boat are plastic - worth seeking out.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, interior