Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 16:35   #61

Boat: Pearson 35
Re: Advice on re-upholstering interior cushions

I love sunbrella fabrics. One can order on amonzon. If you want do it your self great videos on utubeo
Leolotowycz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:14   #62

Boat: Najad 460, 46 ft

thanks - they have some great options
susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolotowycz View Post
I love sunbrella fabrics. One can order on amonzon. If you want do it your self great videos on utubeo
livbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:24   #63

Interesting idea - looks great!!

susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbobdeb View Post
A couple years ago I got tired of stressing about our lovely off white cushions and bought striped Alfresco brand fabric and had someone make covers that fit like fitted sheets with elastic. The fabric is extremely durable and very washable and comfortable. We spend months at a time cruising and do laundry in various places. Love the soft texture and ease of maintenance.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:29   #64

we'll look at the cushion shape carefully - settee rarely a bed, but i have short legs and it would be nice to reach the cabin sole and we could play with the backs to get that result

a lot of folks like brisa - thanks

susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
We also chose Brisa after a careful search. Our previous boat had Ultrasuede which had been good but did stain.

Four years in the Brisa still looks new. Before committing, I poured red wine on a sample and left the puddle overnight. Cleaned up completely with just a damp towel.

Brisa's other advantage is that it breaths. Bare thighs doen't stick to it like most fake leathers and it doesn't get hot.

Expensive but not so much extra when you look at the labor cost of having quality cushions made.

If the cushions are settees which will rarely be used as a bed, have the cushion guy insert some padding under the middle of the cushion to give it some crown.

Also, work hard to get the foam cut to the correct angles. Look at a comfortable chair, the seat slopes slightly down towards the back. The back cushion goes straight up for 4" or so for lumbar support and then slopes back. Sure, you can use small pillows to make up for uncomfortable seats but it doesn't cost more to have the cushion guy do it right.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52   #65

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Dance 36

Do you recommend using the same fabric on the seats as on the beds?
I知 wondering because I知 thinking of redoing the upholstery in our boat but I知 wondering how comfortable it will be to sleep on beds which are covered with synthetic material such as Brisa or Ultrasuede. We sail mostly in the summer and in Sicily it gets hot (100F is not uncommon).
ssardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:57   #66

Our boat has a different fabric on the V-berth and aft cabin berth - and because those berths have mattress pads and sheets, the fabric is in much better condition - it's a loose weave (which I plan to avoid in the salon as I think things might catch on it). susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssardo View Post
Do you recommend using the same fabric on the seats as on the beds?
I知 wondering because I知 thinking of redoing the upholstery in our boat but I知 wondering how comfortable it will be to sleep on beds which are covered with synthetic material such as Brisa or Ultrasuede. We sail mostly in the summer and in Sicily it gets hot (100F is not uncommon).
Old 08-07-2018, 15:05   #67

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Dance 36

Thanks Susan!
ssardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 15:36   #68

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 (aka 49)

Our used boat came with white fabric. With the toddler we had to wash it all the time. After very thorough research, including toxicity of the materials used and a 都taining party my wife choose Brisa and we went with cream. Now we just wipe it clean. A single pass with a humid cloth will do it.

A couple of drawbacks nonetheless: the highly textured fabric was very good at masking irregularities in the finish. With the shiny Brisa every small imperfection is visible. The textured fabric was also very good at keeping you put while heeling (or slouching). With the slippery Brisa you have to put some effort in the legs to not slide off. Even though Brisa breaths, when it痴 warm the fabric would still have been noteably more comfy.

Overal we have no regrets and our quality of life has improved tremendously by switching to Brisa.

I would avoid any material that doesn稚 breathe at all.
2big2small is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, interior