Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2018, 17:38   #31

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch
Re: Advice on re-upholstering interior cushions

Is anybody familiar with Crypton Suede? Same properties as the linen types? Good wear... good clean up?? I'm curious about the ligter colors as compared to ultrasuede.
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 03:46   #32

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Wtf?

I use pure silk and dont regret it all, in 4years.

Upholstery defines the yacht, and too much is never enough (to me).

Also leather, in semi fixed fittings.

Yes, the old way, That's it
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 05:50   #33

Leather/vinyl products...no thanks...too much time spent sticking to the seats in humid tropical heat.

We used a sunbrella type fabric but what we did different is we picked a complex pattern (a green jungley theme but lots of options depending on taste). The advantage is when you do spill something if it doesn't come out...you can't see it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 05:52   #34

Boat: Najad 460, 46 ft

thanks melanie - certainly worth a try if i can get the the slip covers off the cushions without destroying zippers. thanks!! susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickodemus View Post
Susan - itís worth a try on at least one to see if it helps. As long as you donít see much color loss, let it soak for a really long time. Good luck! Melanie
livbysea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 05:54   #35

good to know - saw their web site and left a message yesterday - look forward to hearing from them

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjymd View Post
COASTAL UPHOLSTERY
14 Cottage Rd
South Portland, ME
Very nice people, great selection of fabrics
great ratings
Old 28-06-2018, 06:00   #36

we sail mostly in the northeast - so heat is a little less of an issue -but we did have the boat in the caribbean last winter and leather might have been tough. i was thinking about a pattern for the hiding benefits - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Leather/vinyl products...no thanks...too much time spent sticking to the seats in humid tropical heat.

We used a sunbrella type fabric but what we did different is we picked a complex pattern (a green jungley theme but lots of options depending on taste). The advantage is when you do spill something if it doesn't come out...you can't see it.
Old 28-06-2018, 06:09   #37

Boat: Tartan 37

We're getting ready to redo ours this summer and planning to use Ultrasuede. With a pattern on the throw pillows. Everytime I'm on a boat with Ultrasuede, I just love it. You never hear anyone badmouthing it and wears like iron. We are going to mix zippers and Velcro. The bad on velrco is when you wash it can pick the fabric. Zippers use a little bit of chap stick on it to keep it lubricanted, everyone has one stick they hate. It is tough, picking something that you are going to live with for over a dozen years and cost a small fortune.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 06:20   #38

Check SILVERTEX. Antibacterial + Mildew Resistant + Stain Resistant

https://spradlingvinyl.com/catalog-patterns/silvertex/
Username25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 07:32   #39

My sentiments exactly!!í

Good idea on chap stick

QUOTE=puffcard;2661588]We're getting ready to redo ours this summer and planning to use Ultrasuede. With a pattern on the throw pillows. Everytime I'm on a boat with Ultrasuede, I just love it. You never hear anyone badmouthing it and wears like iron. We are going to mix zippers and Velcro. The bad on velrco is when you wash it can pick the fabric. Zippers use a little bit of chap stick on it to keep it lubricanted, everyone has one stick they hate. It is tough, picking something that you are going to live with for over a dozen years and cost a small fortune.[/QUOTE]
Old 28-06-2018, 07:33   #40

Will do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username25 View Post
Check SILVERTEX. Antibacterial + Mildew Resistant + Stain Resistant

https://spradlingvinyl.com/catalog-patterns/silvertex/
Old 28-06-2018, 17:42   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We went with the same dralon that is used on public service buses, coaches and trains. It shrugs off stains and has proved very durable. Ours was removable via full length velcro closures. The choice of colours and and patterns was huge when we selected the upholstery. We went with a plain grey/blue shade that fifteen years later was still looking perfect - and this is on a liveaboard cat with four children aboard. Im often amazed that more folk dont go this route? Leather and plastics are far too sticky and uncomfortable in hot weather and in cold weather you never seem to be able to get warm in the parts that are in contact with the material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livbysea View Post
greetings,

welcome advice for fabrics for re-upholstering our interior cushions. Seek durable (who doesn't) and easy to clean fabric.

if you know the Portland, Maine area - also seek suggestions for good places to have cushions made.

THANKS!!!

Livbysea
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2018, 17:49   #42

Thanks! Will look into Draylon

Best, susan

QUOTE=Bulawayo;2662045]We went with the same dralon that is used on public service buses, coaches and trains. It shrugs off stains and has proved very durable. Ours was removable via full length velcro closures. The choice of colours and and patterns was huge when we selected the upholstery. We went with a plain grey/blue shade that fifteen years later was still looking perfect - and this is on a liveaboard cat with four children aboard. Im often amazed that more folk dont go this route? Leather and plastics are far too sticky and uncomfortable in hot weather and in cold weather you never seem to be able to get warm in the parts that are in contact with the material.[/QUOTE]
Old 29-06-2018, 06:08   #43

Boat: Allied Seawind II 32ft ketch, Schucker 436 motorsailor

Revolution Performance Fabric is amazing and you can not beat the price. Easy to keep clean, easy to wash, great feel and a dream to sew. Even with 2 dogs and 2 messy adults the fabric continues to look great. Their prices start at $9.95 a yard.

We have re-upholstered 5 times and used a variety of fabrics including Sunbrella. Our biggest issue was the cushions getting generally grubby within a year. It's very frustrating to spend the time and effort only to be unhappy within months.

This fabric won't let you down. We ordered a number of samples and had a party with other boaters at which we attempted to ruin the fabric. Everything we tried - blood, red wine, motor oil, Carolina bluff mud, Sharpie - came out with ease. We would suggest a staining party with samples for any fabric you're considering.

They have a number of videos on "How to clean" and other topics - Revolution Performance Fabrics

We bought from this company.
https://www.decorativefabricsdirect....rics_s/741.htm
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2018, 09:18   #44

great - will look it up - how long have you had it on your boat - afraid to ask how you tested the blood stain.......

susan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
Revolution Performance Fabric is amazing and you can not beat the price. Easy to keep clean, easy to wash, great feel and a dream to sew. Even with 2 dogs and 2 messy adults the fabric continues to look great. Their prices start at $9.95 a yard.

We have re-upholstered 5 times and used a variety of fabrics including Sunbrella. Our biggest issue was the cushions getting generally grubby within a year. It's very frustrating to spend the time and effort only to be unhappy within months.

This fabric won't let you down. We ordered a number of samples and had a party with other boaters at which we attempted to ruin the fabric. Everything we tried - blood, red wine, motor oil, Carolina bluff mud, Sharpie - came out with ease. We would suggest a staining party with samples for any fabric you're considering.

They have a number of videos on "How to clean" and other topics - Revolution Performance Fabrics

We bought from this company.
https://www.decorativefabricsdirect....rics_s/741.htm
Old 29-06-2018, 09:32   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by livbysea View Post
interesting- i think that ours are alacantra - and the boat has high end finishes so it would make sense. I took the arm rests to the dry cleaner and they gave up on them - we also have issues with zippers and button that were attached with metal fittings (almost like quilting knots) and they have begun to fall off - if i could get them clean, and would not hurt to see if they are machine washable, it might be worth getting new zippers and buttons - food for thought!

thanks

susan
Alcantara is excellent, but with a price tag to match. A good grade of leather is no more expensive.

A huge bonus with Alacantara is that it washes well and copes with long soaks in Oxyxlean/Vanish. The Alcantara upholstery on our previous boat was 18 years old when I gathered up the courage and washed it, soaking in Vanish overnight. It came up like new, except for the age related wear and tear. Even the biro notations that an upholsterer had scribbled all over the cushions when asked to quote for replacement came out completely.

Metal zips tend to corrode though with Oxyclean/Vanish. It is peroxide based.

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions, interior