Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2020, 21:10   #46

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27
Re: Advice needed on when I should make a break for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkmannosoy View Post
The moodys are pretty sexy too. Im seeing 800k ish price tags for the new DS ones. I think the sirius are 450 ish to 700k. Pretty spendy. Theres some used sirius 310 ds for 200k but thats a pretty small boat for a circumnavigation. You think a couple would be comfortable on that boat? Tankage seems like it could be a problem along with places to put any significant amount of solar. I was pretty dead set on a catamaran in the beginning of my search but I'm loving these boats after not being exactly thrilled with Island packets, tartans, hunters etc. My only experience sailing is Catalina 22's day sailing in the SF bay so I know I'll have to get on some boats to make up my mind. I thought always healing on passages might get annoying but after seeing people say thats what they like about mono's that I might not think its a big deal. Some of these threads on cat vs mono are pretty ridiculous with the fighting.
Yes, I'm lurking on one of them and enjoying it.

The 31 looks like a nice boat for the right kind of couple.

Merry Christmas, Milk, if it's a holiday you celebrate. And to all a good night.
Old 25-12-2020, 06:56   #47

As my good friend Steven Hawking would say.... "the future is unknown"

So the answer to your question is ... yesterday.
waynetmazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 07:35   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkmannosoy View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply. You're right I think the easier way would be to take it slow in the beginning and iron out the kinks. Im signed up to take some ASA classes this spring on the Texas Coast. Im assuming with some classes it'll be easier for me to help crew on a boat? I know I need to get on a lot of boats before I spend big money on one. Very difficult to know what is a true blue water boat with so many opinions online. Apparently a lot of people think Island Packets are ugly lol. I admit I dont like the beige brown color they come standard with. Theyre also a bit slow but I hear theyre good at anchor also safe.
Take it slow. The classes will give you some basics for sure. Yet you learn by doing. I think the size boat you are looking at is right 36-38’. The fact that you are in avionics means you have the ability to fix things. The hardest thing for me is the electrical onboard so you’ve go that covered. There are so many things involved like navigating, selecting gear and I’m not talking about jackets. Start sailing get use to your boat. As you learn make it your boat. Stretch your sailing legs and go cruising on holidays. Then on longer vacations. You’ll know when you are ready.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 11:46   #49

Boat: Island Packet 35

I am 61, never sailed but bought an IP 35 October 1st. Wanted one since the ‘80s. Knew the tradeoffs. Everyone who gets on it remarks on how roomy it is.

Sailing every chance I get, completed ASA 101, 103, 104.

You are in Texas as am I. If you want to sail on an IP just let me know and you can go with me some.

Light winds...in 9 to 10 knots I do 5.25 to 6 knots. I do not think that is horrible for a 35 footer.

Doesn’t sail to wind. I did 7 knots for an hour close hauled two weeks ago in winds varying from 13 to 17 kts with a rare gust to 19.

My presumption is it will do better once I actually know what I am doing.

I take everyone at their word about it being slow (over a short distance as they win some long distance races) and the other tradeoffs. But as someone said on this forum (I think) “if a knot or two matters that much maybe sailing is not your thing”.

I have no frame of reference but it has been fantastic. Cannot wait until I have enough experience to get it out in open water instead of the bays.

As with anyone age 61 there are many things I would have done differently if I could do it over again, the primary one is I wish that I had take long time periods off work when I was younger. If you have skills there is always work.

Too many uncertainties, some of which are out of your control, to count on being able to do it later in life.

While some debate Pardey’s admonition to “go simple, go small” no one debates the “go now” part, “now” being after a reasonable modicum of lessons and experience.
Flyrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 18:55   #50

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I was about 40 when I had the same conversation about pulling-up stakes (I turn 60 in a few months). No kids, living on a boat, my girlfriend (now wife) had sold her place in San Francisco. I had a decent yacht delivery business going with strong growth that I figured could provide decent occasional income while we cruised; and no kids. But then the phone rang and an old colleague offered a dream job which I ended up really loving.

Do I regret not going? No - I had a great run in a job I really like/liked and frankly, made a decent nest egg. What I do regret is buying a house and filling it with too much stuff. My dad used to say "Don't let your possessions possess you." Damn, if I didn't let it happen. Slipped by right under my nose.... Now that I have the means and time, it's a bitch downsizing. I really never needed a large house, I should have just stuck with something small. When I lived on a boat I was forced into austerity - if I bought a new pair of blue jeans, I had to throw the old ones out to make room. Harmonic balance lost in the cadence of life. It's not an affordability issue, it's a clutter and encumbrance one.

Same thing with buying a boat. When you've hung around boats and cruisers awhile, certain trends start to evolve that are not portrayed on YouTube or even threads like these. Cruisers often wash-out within a year or two. Why? I can only guess, but I'd imagine most become overwhelmed with the work involved in keeping a small-city operable. It takes a lot of knowledge and time. Others because they simply run out of money. They plan on idyllic anchorages but the reality ends up being marinas and burn through a year's worth of cruising kitty in a few months.

Given your age and job prospects, my best thinking without any additional information is to consider buying a decent but relatively inexpensive boat - a well-equipped 36-foot mono in decent shape for under $75k or so. Stick with something well known with a reasonably ready resale potential (probably a good question for the CF Bigger Brain). Take a 6-month sabbatical and sail to the Bahamas and see how it goes. You will get a good flavor of the cruising lifestyle, the people, the costs, and it will give you a lot of time to think and compare. From there, you can decide what the next 50-years of your life look like and the path not taken (namely, a lucrative career). If the fire burns brighter, you can keep going - even a Catalina or Hunter will be more boat than you need for several years of floating around the Caribbean and Atlantic. Or you can pull the rip-cord and not be out a ton of money. In a couple years, you will have long forgotten the money and only remember the gin-clear waters and people you met along the way.

Oh, and consider redirecting some of your time to www.Latitude38.com, an infamous San Francisco based sailing rag that launched many, many cruisers over their years of publication. Their back issues are available online for free.

Tough choice - time vs money. There is no prize for being the richest person in the graveyard, but no one wants to end up struggling financially either.

Peter
Peter,

If your post doesn't say it all I don't know what does! You've mapped out nearly the perfect plan I'd have to say. Right on about Lat 38 -- a great sailing rag.
As for me? I'm 72, don't know where the time went, and have lived aboard for a total of 30 years now. Mostly coastal sailing in the Channel Islands off So. Cal and jaunts to Mexico and back. No desire to cross the pond. Plenty of nice little spots here to drop the hook.

Cheers!

Martin
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 14:45   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrod1 View Post
I am 61, never sailed but bought an IP 35 October 1st. Wanted one since the ‘80s. Knew the tradeoffs. Everyone who gets on it remarks on how roomy it is.

Sailing every chance I get, completed ASA 101, 103, 104.

You are in Texas as am I. If you want to sail on an IP just let me know and you can go with me some.

Light winds...in 9 to 10 knots I do 5.25 to 6 knots. I do not think that is horrible for a 35 footer.

Doesn’t sail to wind. I did 7 knots for an hour close hauled two weeks ago in winds varying from 13 to 17 kts with a rare gust to 19.

My presumption is it will do better once I actually know what I am doing.

I take everyone at their word about it being slow (over a short distance as they win some long distance races) and the other tradeoffs. But as someone said on this forum (I think) “if a knot or two matters that much maybe sailing is not your thing”.

I have no frame of reference but it has been fantastic. Cannot wait until I have enough experience to get it out in open water instead of the bays.

As with anyone age 61 there are many things I would have done differently if I could do it over again, the primary one is I wish that I had take long time periods off work when I was younger. If you have skills there is always work.

Too many uncertainties, some of which are out of your control, to count on being able to do it later in life.

While some debate Pardey’s admonition to “go simple, go small” no one debates the “go now” part, “now” being after a reasonable modicum of lessons and experience.
I'll have to take you up on that. I have about 2 months left on this contract then I have some free time. How are you liking the boat? Do you think speed even matters that much? people are at anchor most the time anyway right?
Milkmannosoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 16:22   #52

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When does speed matter? When you receive word that a cyclone has popped up and is headed your way, when the only cyclone hole you can use is 12 hrs. sailing away, and the event is due within 48 hours. You want to arrive in daylight to position the boat. It was 1800, when we got the news. Beat into 40 kn. winds to get there. Did not make it in daylight. Used someone else's waypoints to get in through the reef--scary, that, just about 2330. Next day, moved to better position further up Port Sandwich.

If the boat lies on the more limited weatherly capability side of the scale, it will be more tacks and take longer. Just as it will with blown out sails.

Ann
Old 26-12-2020, 19:24   #53

Boat: Still building

If you can rent the house out, and the rent covers the mortgage, might as well hang onto it, and do the 6/6. the 6 working will pay for the 6 travelling.
If it gets old, still having the house is good back up plan.
If, in ten years, you are 'done' with sailing long passages, and want to do more ashore stuff, you still have a house to come back to, even if you then sell it and move closer to the boat. eventually, you will have to swallow the anchor, somewhat. even the Pardeys ended up with a land base in NZ, from which they 'adventured'.
But it depends on your earning capacity I guess. Avionics engineer sounds well paid, so it might be worthwhile doing as others have suggested and simply selling up and freeing up your capital so you can stay out and away longer, and then maybe just do 6/6 for the frst year to up the experience levels..??
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 13:31   #54

Boat: Island Packet 465

The answer is yesterday, but now will do. I quit a practice at the zenith of my earning potential. Went back several times for short periods. Left the last time and haven’t looked back. Read everything you can, believe half of what fellow sailors tell you, and keep the Buddha quote in your head..it’s later than you think. Once you accept everything on your boat will eventually break and you can either do without it or fix it, you will be where you want. Have an adventure.
delphys44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice