Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2020, 12:26   #31

Re: Advice needed on when I should make a break for it.

NOW.. GO ASAP.. but not before learning in a small boat ! I did a lot of offshore in my 20 - 40 years range and could not do the same now at 70 so -- you see my perspective !
Mlp48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 12:27   #32

Boat: Bavara 37/Soling 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
If you are drawn to Island Packets you might want to consider taking some ASA classes from the Maryland School of Sailing. Maryland School of Sailing; Chesapeake, Caribbean, Atlantic Ocean, Bermuda They, at least they used to, almost exclusively use Island Packets in their training program. Plus, their training is geared towards water sailing">blue water sailing. They offer some of their classes in the Virgin Islands, so you could make a nice vacation out of it. Once you get ASA certified, you could bareboat charter from Island Yacht Charters in St. Thomas a few times. Their charter fleet is exclusively Island Packet, and they are reliable and honest. Then you would know if sailing is really for you and if you really want an Island Packet. Of course, you may find yourself dealing with your stated fear, that you will become so obsessed with it you want to abandon your domesticated life for the sea. By the way, I am not officially advertising for either Maryland School or Island Yacht Charters, it is just that I have done both and had a good experience with both. If you choose to do something similar, it will take a few years and then you may be ready for the big purchase One other thing--not all Island Packet hulls are beige.
There's actually a place on the Chesapeake where you can charter an IP 349 (one of the newer models) for a couple of days, a week, with or without a skipper.

Milkmann, a lot of the posters here have tons of live-aboard and sail-about experience, and I've seen a lot of good advice. I learn something new every time I read a thread like this.

I'll add a perspective as someone who grew up cruising and had sailed racing boats for decades but only a few years ago started sailing cruisers around shorthanded: Know thyself.

[NOTE: If your significant loves sailing more than you, you are excellent at repairing things, and you are certain you know exactly what you want to do on a boat, you may disregard the rest of this message.]

I want to second Little Wing's advice: Do make sure your significant is as enamored with the ocean as you are. There are a lot of things that happen on boats that people find they don't like as much as they thought they would. (Big waves, for example. Or cold and wet. Or that sailboats take a while to get anywhere.).

Going on a skippered charter or two, and building out the ambition of your sailing adventures as you and your loved one(s) learn will ensure that you don't find this out about someone in the middle of the Gulf of Maine, 50 miles from anything.

I also recommend classes, classes, classes; in particular ones where you go cruising with the instructor. I've been on those with guys who bought their boat but they want the instructions anyway. We had one (ASA 106) where one of the students ran a 40' boat aground and had to figure that situation out. Glad I learned those tricks with someone who knew what they were doing.

I know people who "just went for it" and set out to sail "with no knowledge." Next thing you know, they're making slick YouTube videos. Ah, but it turns out they were already really good at repairing electrical systems and engines and have an intuitive sense for troubleshooting complex systems. [My dad, an electrical engineer by trade, was one of those]

The bigger the boat, the more systems it uses to make sailing far and wide safer and easier, the more stuff you have to be able to repair. I'm not as mechanically inclined as others, and I need to have more-experienced people walk me through some of the repairs on things like engines. If you aren't like me, bless you. But if you are, you don't want to find that out when something you need breaks while you're at sea. Because it always does.

And I second the advice to sail different boats before selecting a boat to buy. You find out what kind of sailor you want to be. It may be that puttering around and anchoring in quaint harbors is the cruising life you enjoy. Then an IP isn't as good a choice as a Hunter or something that feels like an apartment. Really, if you ask me, shopping for a live-aboard boat should be like shopping for a house, a car, a professional guitar, and a quality camera, all in one: You're buying the most important things in your life, all at once, so you need to know how to use them and what you want to do with them.

None of this is intended to discourage you. Au contraire. The slow path I have taken encouraged me to keep with it, and love it, and tailor what I do to the people and things I care about.

And if you aren't like me, you disregarded this after that blue section.
Old 18-12-2020, 13:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
There's actually a place on the Chesapeake where you can charter an IP 349 (one of the newer models) for a couple of days, a week, with or without a skipper.

Milkmann, a lot of the posters here have tons of live-aboard and sail-about experience, and I've seen a lot of good advice. I learn something new every time I read a thread like this.

I'll add a perspective as someone who grew up cruising and had sailed racing boats for decades but only a few years ago started sailing cruisers around shorthanded: Know thyself.

[NOTE: If your significant loves sailing more than you, you are excellent at repairing things, and you are certain you know exactly what you want to do on a boat, you may disregard the rest of this message.]

I want to second Little Wing's advice: Do make sure your significant is as enamored with the ocean as you are. There are a lot of things that happen on boats that people find they don't like as much as they thought they would. (Big waves, for example. Or cold and wet. Or that sailboats take a while to get anywhere.).

Going on a skippered charter or two, and building out the ambition of your sailing adventures as you and your loved one(s) learn will ensure that you don't find this out about someone in the middle of the Gulf of Maine, 50 miles from anything.

I also recommend classes, classes, classes; in particular ones where you go cruising with the instructor. I've been on those with guys who bought their boat but they want the instructions anyway. We had one (ASA 106) where one of the students ran a 40' boat aground and had to figure that situation out. Glad I learned those tricks with someone who knew what they were doing.

I know people who "just went for it" and set out to sail "with no knowledge." Next thing you know, they're making slick YouTube videos. Ah, but it turns out they were already really good at repairing electrical systems and engines and have an intuitive sense for troubleshooting complex systems. [My dad, an electrical engineer by trade, was one of those]

The bigger the boat, the more systems it uses to make sailing far and wide safer and easier, the more stuff you have to be able to repair. I'm not as mechanically inclined as others, and I need to have more-experienced people walk me through some of the repairs on things like engines. If you aren't like me, bless you. But if you are, you don't want to find that out when something you need breaks while you're at sea. Because it always does.

And I second the advice to sail different boats before selecting a boat to buy. You find out what kind of sailor you want to be. It may be that puttering around and anchoring in quaint harbors is the cruising life you enjoy. Then an IP isn't as good a choice as a Hunter or something that feels like an apartment. Really, if you ask me, shopping for a live-aboard boat should be like shopping for a house, a car, a professional guitar, and a quality camera, all in one: You're buying the most important things in your life, all at once, so you need to know how to use them and what you want to do with them.

None of this is intended to discourage you. Au contraire. The slow path I have taken encouraged me to keep with it, and love it, and tailor what I do to the people and things I care about.

And if you aren't like me, you disregarded this after that blue section.
Thanks for the reply. Yes chartering as a couple is a good idea. A fun way to learn too. I get free flights and hotels from work so the cost of charter still being the most expensive part would mostly be the only expense. As for troubleshooting I do that for work. Boats are a different world but I dont think they could be anywhere near as complicated as a jet. Time will tell if troubleshooting a broken jet is at all comparable to things that could go wrong with systems on a boat. I'm assuming its possible to get drawings/schematics of the boats systems?

I'll take a look at hunters thanks for the tip.
Milkmannosoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2020, 14:17   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkmannosoy View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes chartering as a couple is a good idea. A fun way to learn too. I get free flights and hotels from work so the cost of charter still being the most expensive part would mostly be the only expense. As for troubleshooting I do that for work. Boats are a different world but I dont think they could be anywhere near as complicated as a jet. Time will tell if troubleshooting a broken jet is at all comparable to things that could go wrong with systems on a boat. I'm assuming its possible to get drawings/schematics of the boats systems?

I'll take a look at hunters thanks for the tip.
Yeah, jet repair. I should've read more attentively. My guess, without knowing a thing about jet repair, is that you'll be fine. And yeah, everything specs related is available.

Your background will also help you work out navigation and the underpinnings of rigging and sail trim a lot more easily than a dunce like me could.

Maybe in a couple of years it'll be your YouTube video I'm watching to figure out how to fix something!
Old 18-12-2020, 14:19   #35

Boat: Pearson

You will know, I would bet on sooner, vision helps use it.
Old 19-12-2020, 01:58   #36

Decent article on five ways to work while sailing.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...sailing-119294

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2020, 19:34   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Decent article on five ways to work while sailing.

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...sailing-119294

Peter
I think I would rather work my regular job than try and make money while cruising. I fell it might take away from my trip and not let me enjoy sailing as much. Who knows how I'll feel after I stay out there for a bit. Might not want to come back to the US ever again lol. Especially the way this year has been. Politics has divided my family in half. I left thanksgiving early to get away from it.

How did you start sailing? Are you still working? Where have you gone?
Old 22-12-2020, 05:06   #38

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Sell your house and work from your boat? Get contract jobs on the coast and travel around to your jobs. When you get tired of an area, move the boat to a new job. As I understand, they have aircraft all over the world.

I like to fix up rental houses and have considered this strategy on coastal houses. It takes me about 3 months to turn an ugly duckling into a rental house. Perfect time to get tired of a place.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 07:12   #39

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
IP's sail like crap. Noted

As for the girlfriend. Says shes down for it but if she ends up not wanting to go either she can visit me somwhere along the way every once in a while or we can call it quits. I've wanted to sail around the world since I was a little kid, she knew that when she met me. We met in San Francisco and have sailed on a catalina 22 a few times in the bay. I know that theres a huge difference between day sailing in nice weather and serious cruising though. Time will tell
IP's don't sail lie crap, BUT they don't sail well if you try to sail them the same way as a Catalina or Hunter or any other fin keeled boat. They are essentially full keel boats and need to be sailed like one. Every boat has its design brief and the IP just isn't designed for the same intended use and style as some other boats. Look at Morgan Out Island 41's ( old boats now) they were designed for the charter trade, down wind runs and a delivery back to base. For use in shallow waters, etc. they have full keels and want to sail off the wind and upright. They're under canvased to keep them safe for charterers. but you push one over to 20+ deg of heel up wind and like any other long keel shallow sail boat, they just slide off alarmingly compared to a deep fin keel. They just weren't designed for that. My point is there are lots of designs out there, go see and experience them don't let the internet alone tell you what boat is good for you. Otherwise Hunters are out, Catalina's are out, beneteau's are out... Oysters.. .Sure!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 07:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
IP's don't sail lie crap, BUT they don't sail well if you try to sail them the same way as a Catalina or Hunter or any other fin keeled boat. They are essentially full keel boats and need to be sailed like one. Every boat has its design brief and the IP just isn't designed for the same intended use and style as some other boats. Look at Morgan Out Island 41's ( old boats now) they were designed for the charter trade, down wind runs and a delivery back to base. For use in shallow waters, etc. they have full keels and want to sail off the wind and upright. They're under canvased to keep them safe for charterers. but you push one over to 20+ deg of heel up wind and like any other long keel shallow sail boat, they just slide off alarmingly compared to a deep fin keel. They just weren't designed for that. My point is there are lots of designs out there, go see and experience them don't let the internet alone tell you what boat is good for you. Otherwise Hunters are out, Catalina's are out, beneteau's are out... Oysters.. .Sure!
I've been looking at these sirius DS lately. Really gorgeous boats. Seem to be well made. Lot of different options for the keels. Still have plenty of time right now though.
Old 24-12-2020, 08:00   #41

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
I've been looking at these sirius DS lately. Really gorgeous boats. Seem to be well made. Lot of different options for the keels. Still have plenty of time right now though.
I've recently discovered the "Sirius" boats too, Are they available in North America? The Raised deck saloon is a great idea for live-aboard. Gets away from the "cave" feeling of being down below. There are some Southerly's here that would fit the bill. Nauticats are great liveaboard boats too
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 11:52   #42

Quote:
I've recently discovered the "Sirius" boats too, Are they available in North America? The Raised deck saloon is a great idea for live-aboard. Gets away from the "cave" feeling of being down below. There are some Southerly's here that would fit the bill. Nauticats are great liveaboard boats too
Here's a recent thread about Sirius boats that includes a poster who is buying one in BC.

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ds-161812.html

It's a small company, and they are pricey boats, so there's a lot of discussion with the owner about customization, etc.

Moody DS are popular, too, older ones being affordable and newer ones being amazing if money is no object. https://www.hanseyachtsag.com/moody/...ts/moody-ds41/

(These catalogs. Photos always shot on the nicest days with the happiest people. No seaweed slime on their rode.)
Old 24-12-2020, 12:25   #43

Quote:
They just started aiming towards the US market. They had one at the Seattle boat show not too long ago. The owner sailed it himself from Germany?? All the way across thru the panama and onto the South Pacific, back to Hawaii then Seattle. Owner of Sirius brand met him in Seattle asking beforehand if he needed any spare parts and the owner said nothing broke. Pretty amazing quality if that’s all true. I specifically like the 2 person layout and if you’re just a cruising couple you get that awesome Workshop. The tilt “versa helm” steering is pretty sweet too. Overall looks high quality. German engineered, looks like it too
Old 24-12-2020, 13:00   #44

Quote:
They just started aiming towards the US market. They had one at the Seattle boat show not too long ago. The owner sailed it himself from Germany?? All the way across thru the panama and onto the South Pacific, back to Hawaii then Seattle. Owner of Sirius brand met him in Seattle asking beforehand if he needed any spare parts and the owner said nothing broke. Pretty amazing quality if that’s all true. I specifically like the 2 person layout and if you’re just a cruising couple you get that awesome Workshop. The tilt “versa helm” steering is pretty sweet too. Overall looks high quality. German engineered, looks like it too
Pretty good statement on the thing's seaworthiness
Old 24-12-2020, 16:19   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedX View Post
Pretty good statement on the thing's seaworthiness
The moodys are pretty sexy too. Im seeing 800k ish price tags for the new DS ones. I think the sirius are 450 ish to 700k. Pretty spendy. Theres some used sirius 310 ds for 200k but thats a pretty small boat for a circumnavigation. You think a couple would be comfortable on that boat? Tankage seems like it could be a problem along with places to put any significant amount of solar. I was pretty dead set on a catamaran in the beginning of my search but I'm loving these boats after not being exactly thrilled with Island packets, tartans, hunters etc. My only experience sailing is Catalina 22's day sailing in the SF bay so I know I'll have to get on some boats to make up my mind. I thought always healing on passages might get annoying but after seeing people say thats what they like about mono's that I might not think its a big deal. Some of these threads on cat vs mono are pretty ridiculous with the fighting.

Tags
Advice