Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2020, 09:43   #1

Advice/Mentor wanted.

Hello, I am 42 live in Central Pennsylvania and have no real sailing experience. Due to some traumatic and life changing events that have occurred in the past few years, I have decided to make some changes and follow my dreams. Life is short and precious and the world is a great big amazing place. I have wasted to much time. I am talking about a complete lifestyle change. I am intelligent, hard working, and fearless. Near death experiences and loss of loved ones changes you. My dream is to find a boat most likely in the Chesapeake bay that needs some work and live on it and begin to refit to eventually start to explore. I have no specific timeline. I am still in the research phase at this point. I know I have a lot to learn, but I believe all things are possible with the the right knowledge, tools, and effort. Right now i need knowledge and advice about where to start. My thought right now is I would like to find work in a boat yard or a marina around boats to gain valuable experience and learn how to sail of course. If anyone would be interested in sharing there wisdom and possibly giving me some direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I have lots of questions about logistics of this kind of lifestyle change with no real experience. Yes, maybe I am a little crazy but it is better than going insane and I am determined to do this. I want to see the Southern Cross among many other things,places, and people around this wonderful planet.
Blue Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 13:49   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Advice/Mentor wanted.

Welcome aboard CF, Blue Bhudda.

It is a worthy goal. Your plan sounds good. Remember, "when the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Get your new job, learn, meet people, learn more, most likely, there will be many teachers along the way. If you learn shipwright skills, there will be many along the way whom you will be able to help, even if it is just how to streamline some repair processes. If you learn electician and electronics stuff, there will be many whom you can help.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 11-02-2020, 17:07   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Buddha.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 17:44   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Sounds vaguely reminiscent of my life and my jump into sailing. About the time I was experiencing major changes and some traumas I discovered sailing and withing a year had cut ties and was living on a boat.

I started with zero knowledge about sailing and cruising. The way I learned, after my first and only trip on a sailboat, was to go home and read everything I could find about boats, boating, sailing, cruising, boat repairs, boat design, navigation.........

Initially a lot of what I was studying was clear as mud. But then got a chance to crew on another trip and it all started falling into place. Got home and reread the stuff that was now making more sense, a bit more boating and the rest as they say is history.

That method may not work for you but did for me. It has the great benefit of allowing you to learn anywhere, anytime at your own pace. Let me emphasize the huge benefit of alternating theory with practice.

Meanwhile this forum has years of archives and just about any boating question you could come up with has probably been discussed at great length. You could learn a lot without having to buy a single book or make a single trip to the library by just reading old discussions in the forums.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 17:55   #5

Boat: Baba 35

I am 36 and after I pulled about half the teak off the deck of my new boat by myself I was swatting mentors away left and right.

I think they just needed boat work done.

Joking aside I did what skip is talking about. I am just about on the cusp of moving from theory to practice. Maybe I can get one of my mentors to actually take his boat out.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:27   #6

Thank you for all the well wishes and positive vibes. I have a mechanical background and I know my way around diesel engines. My father is an owner operator truck driver, so I grew up turning wrenches. Also, I have a moderate level of electrical and carpentry knowledge working as a home improvement contractor. I just don't have experience with marine applications, but I am confident I can learn. I specifically am looking for info right now on Liveaboard Marinas and or DIY boat yards in the Baltimore area. If anyone may have any info on options where are the best deals and or what places to avoid; it would be greatly appreciated. What I have found in the forums about that area is several years old and am hoping to find more current info. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Blue Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, wanted