Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Active Cruisers Do you have a printer on board?
Yes 24 54.55%
No 14 31.82%
Laser 3 6.82%
Inkjet 22 50.00%
Wouldn't be without it 15 34.09%
Could be without it but like having it 6 13.64%
Could go either way 1 2.27%
Not worth having, won't do it again 2 4.55%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2019, 09:23   #16

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35
Re: Active cruisers. Do you have a printer on board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
One use that we enjoy is printing our own boat cards on photo paper. Can change the design to suit circumstances, cost is minimal and we hand them out kinda carelessly!

Jim
This seems a very valid use of your printer
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:25   #17

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Might be useful to set this up as a survey too.
Great suggestion. Thanks. My 1st poll. Should I add/subtract anything?
Cpt Mark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:27   #18

Boat: Outremer 50S

We've thought about it, and there have been one or two cases where it might have made life a little easier, but overall we haven't missed having one.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:31   #19

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

We don’t have a printer and haven’t had a time where one was required. I keep debating buying one, and may do so as more of a convenience than necessity.
Most of the port captains we encounter make copies onsite and don’t require us to bring copies. I’ve never run into one that accepts emails, but have found marina’s to accept them no problem.
It’s going to vary based on your cruising grounds. I imagine if we were in the South Pacific it would be a different decision.
bradfordharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:42   #20

Boat: Taswell 43

We installed our Epson XP400 when we were in Thailand. I would not be without it! We caan print bank statements, billpays, other business that comes up, as well as copying docs for country checkin and lots of other stuff that happens! We use ours for printing B&W and color docs, photos, to make copies of whatever, and to scan stuff in to email back to the world! We use ours alot, probably 4-5 times/week. We've sailed with it thru the Medd, and now in our 5th season here in the Caribbean. We buy ink about 1/yr, keep it sealed in its shipping pac AND a ziplock, and have never had an issue with Epson ink. We buy a ream or2 of paper, and just lay it flat in a saloon side locker. We use a small 350watt inverter straight off the house bank, so we can use the printer (or the TV or DVD player or recharge the IPOD for our music) any time we want. I just loaded 2 new ink cartridges in, both bought and brought aboard in 2016-without issue. We would not be without it! It's small, handy, and essential when you live aboard.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:49   #21

Boat: Norseman 400

We use our printer/scanner a lot, especially around tax season where emailed forms have to be printed, filled out, scanned, and then emailed back. Ours has a scanner, which is used a lot for creating pdfs than can be emailed.

One example, I filed a claim with our medical insurance carrier for an injury that occurred aboard. Since land based mail wasn't an option, scanning and emailing the medical receipts to the insurance company was necessary for reimbursement.

Marinas frequently request copies of our Documentation certificate and proof of insurance.

If you don't have insurance, pay taxes, or visit marinas, you probably can get buy without one. I am surprised how often we use it. And how often we use it to help out other cruisers that don't have one.
Sailor647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49   #22

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

A lot of folks still just prefer to use paper, but FYI you dont have to print forms out to complete them or to sign them.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:52   #23

Re emailing copies, I never encountered a Port Captain, or other official, who accepts that. There are a few ports with automated systems, like Matinique, but youve still go t9 go in and use their system.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:58   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
Great suggestion. Thanks. My 1st poll. Should I add/subtract anything?
I would keep it simple: Do you have it and how often used (range of choices). Other details can be posted.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:35   #25

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

We live aboard and having a scanner and printer is essential to life in 2019. Our most recent use was yesterday when I printed, filled out, scanned and then emailed a service authorization and a credit card authorization for davit repairs this coming Wednesday. I certainly could have gone ashore to a mail center somewhere and done the same thing, but having a printer onboard meant it only took 5 mins.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 13:53   #26

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Not sure if it is Ink Jet or not, I don't care. Only that it works when required . This is my 2nd Epson just replaced it in the a few months ago. Last printer gave near daily service for 6 years, just as importantly I need they have a good scanner.

Very handy for scanning storing digital documents including crew info, passports ships papers and recipes as well as key passages from a books page that is worth storing for reference.

I purchase non branded Ink cartridges at 20th of the retail cost on line. Re Drying ink comments-the Epson printer has an ink refesh cleaning ability when the ink is drying up, seems to clean the ink dispensing heads.
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 14:08   #27

Boat: Lagoon 450F

I think it depends a lot on how you use your boat. We're live aboard and focused on cruising so we have one and use it regularly for printing and scanning documents. Would not be with out it. Epson laser printer. About 2 years old.
gatorsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 14:18   #28

Boat: Colegate 26

We have a multi-function. We are both still working and it's a good thing to have around just for that. But we also know that we'll be in and out of marinas/countries that may need copies of important documents so we wanted it for that on the long term. I wish it were smaller, but it would probably be in the same locker either way and at least we don't have to pull it out to use it as it is. I can even lift the lid to lay paper on the flatbed if it can't go through the document feeder.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 14:29   #29

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

We live aboard and in the last 3 years have not needed one.
Never needed one whilst ashore either.

But, if heading out of country to Indonesia and beyond we'll get one as it seems officialdom requires multiple copies of everything and then some.

Not needed for scanner as there are various scanner/PDF apps that have served us well over the years.
Not needed for marina or slipways yet as sighting a doc on a tablet or emailing prior to lift has always worked.
Tax returns etc have not been an issue as we have all bills, payments all sent electronically anyway, paper onboard is a thing of the past.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 16:09   #30

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

Yes. HP470. Small, built for mobile applications. Works great. Use it perhaps 4-5 times per year.

Separate Canon flatbed scanner I bought at a garage sale for $5 years and years ago. Use the scanner perhaps 12-15 times per year to keep paper off the boat.

s/v UTOPIA
Cabo Rico 45
davido is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser