Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2015, 06:28   #1

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51
75 Ft Mast, East Coast Liveaboard Harbors

Just a quick question, we are looking to LiveAboard in a few years on the East Coast of the US, preferably around Charleston or Savannah. If we end up with a boat with 75 ft mast, will there be any issues in Charleston? I've been to the City Marina, but I can't recall the bridges in and out.

The Chesapeake area is a possible summer home as well, as we've been told there are many higher bridges around that area, so we won't have to worry so much.

- Ray
~ Following C's ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 06:51   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'
Re: 75 Ft Mast, East Coast Liveaboard Harbors

I live in Charleston; keep the boat in the Chesapeake. With a 75' mast you cannot do ICW, but you will know that. In Charleston, you can get into the City Marina on the Ashley River without any issues. Just beyond the marina is the James Island Connector Bridge. That will stop you. On the other side of the peninsula, you won't have any problems with the bridges on the Cooper River, so al the marinas there will be available.

In the Chesapeake, access to the cities and rivers will pose no problems either. Exploring way up some of the rivers might, but by and large, you can go to the towns and cities.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 07:30   #3

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Yes, I knew the ICW will not be possible with the 65' mast height limitation.

We may be either LiveAboards, or LiveAboards with a small land based apartment, not sure yet based on work requirements. So we are looking for something more 'permanent' but want to be able to get in and out of the marina easy enough.

Thanks again,
- Ray

~ Following C's ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 07:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Might want to download Active Captain, that will let you look at all the bridge heights and is a free download, plus it give lots of other info that may help in your search
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2015, 08:09   #5

Both Charleston City Marina and Charleston Harbor Marina have no bridge problems (or draft issues) and have lots of larger boats. Both are a little tricky to get in and out except at slack tide. This is especially true if you are on the inside of the Megadock at City marina.

Savannah also has good options. Thunderbolt Marina, Isle of Hope Marina and Delegal Creek Marina. On Hilton Head there is Skull Creek Marina and Harbor Town Yacht Basin.

I find the Chesapeake in summer just as hot as Charleston and Savannah. And you'll have to go outside Cape Hatteras to get there - always a weather roll of the dice. Doesn't seem worth it unless you are going on to New England.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 08:04   #6

Boat: Catalina 25, Pearson 30, Coastal 45

I would use the marina at Patriots Point. Some tide-current issues but close to land based apartments and no bridge issues. Great marina and hotel complex.
Capt Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 14:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We do not have your mast height, but some of our favorites that would accomodate you are: Baltimore, Have de Grace, Portsmouth/Norfolk, Beaufort (N.C. & S.C.), Hilton Head (Palmetto Bay), Charleston, Savanna (Thunderbolt), Jacksonville (River City Brewery), St. Augustine, West Palm Beach, and Fort Lauderdale.
Old 23-01-2015, 16:40   #8
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Both Charleston City Marina and Charleston Harbor Marina have no bridge problems (or draft issues) and have lots of larger boats. Both are a little tricky to get in and out except at slack tide. This is especially true if you are on the inside of the Megadock at City marina.

Savannah also has good options. Thunderbolt Marina, Isle of Hope Marina and Delegal Creek Marina. On Hilton Head there is Skull Creek Marina and Harbor Town Yacht Basin.

I find the Chesapeake in summer just as hot as Charleston and Savannah. And you'll have to go outside Cape Hatteras to get there - always a weather roll of the dice. Doesn't seem worth it unless you are going on to New England.
I suppose it's gonna matter whether or not the OP wants to be actually able to SAIL from time to time, or is content to simply sit at a marina :-)

Options like those mentioned near Savannah are a LONG way from open water... Thunderbolt Marina and Isle of Hope will require going out Wassaw Sound, Delegal requires an exit out of Ossabaw... I don't think I've EVER seen a sailboat transiting Ossabaw to or from the ocean, not that it can't be done, of course... :-)

Charleston would be much preferred if you might want to be able to do some sailing, but there is still the question that beyond an afternoon sail in the harbor, or a daysail outside of the jetties, where do you GO from there? That part of the coast should not be confused with an especially great cruising ground, especially with an air draft that prohibits running the ICW...

In that regard, there is absolutely no comparison with virtually any location in the Chesapeake, which will afford a wealth of potential destinations close at hand...
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 17:32   #9

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Mr. Eisberg's note says it all. For a live aboard place, Charleston is great. Lots to do. For sailing, good for racing but not cruising. That is why I live in Charleston and keep my boat in the Chesapeake.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, liveaboard, mast