Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2018, 23:32   #91

Boat: 1967 Alberg 30
Re: 36' Rule for Liveaboard

I can see why marinas are taking action to keep out junky boats. I lived in an RV for several years, and my wife and I always preferred campgrounds where all the RV's were in good nick. We visited a few around Tampa that were basically snowbird villages. the RV's were on blocks, with decks and screened porches attached... to an RV, not a mobile home! Many RV's were weather beaten and in poor condition, and this made the park appear dumpy and run down. ... causing us to look elsewhere.

I can see where marina's are stuck in the same situation. In this day and age, they probably have a lot of EPA and community pressure to keep their marina in good condition as well.

Someone mentioned a marina that required liveaboards move their boat every so often, to ensure that it's in good running order, I think that is a great idea... inconvenient for the boat owner perhaps, but tolerable. I don't agree with a size restriction, however. It seems pretty arbitrary, especially since there are many beautiful liveaboard boats smaller that are much smaller.
WingRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 02:27   #92
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes, ability to leave and come back is valid fair and objective.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 07:35   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Not at all. If you don't meet the rules, they have the right to deny you a slip. They made it clear right up front in the rules. No one enforces rules 100% or do you think cops pull over each and every car doing even 1mph over the limit? Discretion in enforcing rule is normal and nothing unethical about it.

They typically don't tell you the purpose of the rule, just the rule. If you are slightly smaller and don't meet the purpose, it's perfectly acceptable for a private business to use discretion to not enforce it. (public marinas are different and unfortunately often are run with very little discretion)

If you have a boat that fits into the slightly too small category, thank those who don't present themselves and their boat well for these types of rules.
I could see nothing wrong with you prior statement. What it had to do with a NY tycoon beats the hell out of me?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 07:43   #94

Boat: Liberty 458

Berkeley Marina have (had) a 36' minimum liveaboard rule. These things vary marina by marina.

That type of rule primarily exists to deal with the 'I've bought a boat off craigslist for cheap accomodation' folks.

Present yourself and your boat well to maximize your chances of success.

In our current marina a USCG inspection and engine start are mandatory liveaboard prereqisites.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 07:54   #95

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Junky looking setups, fine, but just banning shorter boats across the board IMO is unjust and should be prohibited.
Longer boats are more profitable for marina owners in so many ways. Fairness, rights, etc are not the priority for most marina owners.

Our last marina in the PNW was one of 4 owned by two guys. They are successful businessman and they have a clear strategy. They rebuilt our entire marina, added great wifi, pumpouts and other amenities. They reduced the number of liveaboards and brought in bigger vessels.

Their goal is to IPO a REIT. Being able to liveaboard is a privilege, not a right, in most marinas today.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2018, 08:10   #96

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I am reading with more than just occasional interest this thread on liveaboard.
We lived aboard for about 12 years in a San Diego Marina, first on a Transpacific 49 and finally on our DeFever 54. The marina management was delighted to have us livingaboard because of the additional 24/7 security and the fact we kept our home spotless and surrounding dock areas in good nick.
There were several of us living there and I recall one dumpy little powerboat that we finally got evicted with a father/daughter living aboard. The drinking and fighting got to be too much and we had the vessel towed to a mooring at which it finally sank as I recall.
There was no length restriction and I remember a young couple living aboard a 25-27 foot sailboat who
I would run into at the showers occasionally... very nice people, polite and both employed trying to save enough $ to move shoreside or onto a larger vessel.
Not sure that Jammer has experienced sufficient liveaboard situations to have a reasonably broad experience to comment so negatively on the liveaboard lifestyle. But perhaps I don’t either having only been involved for a dozen or so years.
Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 22:34   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
thanks guys, so basically my prospective 33' boat will be either 7 or 3' too short for some places. that was a very useful 'heads up' i kind of suspected this was the case.
Get creative with a new PVC bowsprit and dive platform... voilà, 36 or 40ft
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 14:45   #98

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Valhalla 360 - Boy do you have it rong, at least in San Francisco Bay. True, the apartment residents of Sausalito do get bent out of shape looking at derilict boats in Richardson Bay that anchor out for free. But they DO want to see well kept boats - that sight is why they chose to live in such expensive apartments. The problem is that it has been hard for the different city governments to get rid of the derelicts while keeping the attractive. For a while minimum length requirements work. But the most satisfactoy is the requirement for the boat to leave and return under it's own power. Good sailors can often do that even ithout a motor in some marinas.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 23:35   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
Valhalla 360 - Boy do you have it rong, at least in San Francisco Bay. True, the apartment residents of Sausalito do get bent out of shape looking at derilict boats in Richardson Bay that anchor out for free. But they DO want to see well kept boats - that sight is why they chose to live in such expensive apartments. The problem is that it has been hard for the different city governments to get rid of the derelicts while keeping the attractive. For a while minimum length requirements work. But the most satisfactoy is the requirement for the boat to leave and return under it's own power. Good sailors can often do that even ithout a motor in some marinas.
I think you are confused about what I am saying. These length based rules tend not to be enforced if the boat is well kept and functional. I agree, most land dwellers don't object to seeing a nice well kept boat on the water.

Requiring the boat to leave the slip periodically is another easy to apply test but particularly for small boats, doesn't prove much. Not hard to wait for a calm day and row or borrow 5hp outboard to get a 25' hulk to the end of the fairway and then return satisfying the requirement on what is otherwise a derelict boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 23:58   #100

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Requiring the boat to leave the slip periodically is another easy to apply test but particularly for small boats, doesn't prove much. Not hard to wait for a calm day and row or borrow 5hp outboard to get a 25' hulk to the end of the fairway and then return satisfying the requirement on what is otherwise a derelict boat.
Yes, this is true, but IME, folks who are that far into the derelict mode won't be willing to put that amount of effort into doing the great voyage. Sure, some may, but as a tool, it has worked in some marinas to help rid the premises of derelict vessels.

Jim

Tags
liveaboard, rule