Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2020, 16:08   #1

2nd and 3rd generation cruisers?

When cruising kids ("2nd generation cruisers") grow up, how many continue to seriously cruise? How many move aboard with their kids ("3rd generation")? Why/why not?

Having spent several years living aboard growing up, I find myself wondering about other kids I met cruising. There is a strong spirit of adventure with every one that I keep in touch with, but now 20+ years later, none have continued sailing beyond weekends with their folks. 20 years is just shy of a generation, so maybe in the next 10+ years that will change. Hopefully it will for me!

I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences.
LesCheneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 16:58   #2

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc
Re: 2nd and 3rd generation cruisers?

Great thought/question. I wonder if there are any stats?

In my experience it's not uncommon to find the second (even third) generation cruising themselves, but often for a year or two and then land locked earning money for a few years before out to sea again. Many seem to work in the marine industry.
Old 08-11-2020, 17:26   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

My thought is most kids rebel. They don’t want to do what their parents do, despite the very interesting people who grew up on the water and stay.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 20:28   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Iíve waited almost 40 years, but Iím n=1 that a child cruiser (9-15 years old) turns into an adult cruiser (eventually). My kids however, not interested, sigh. Grandkids (none yet) hopefully will be.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 13:19   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We started cruising in 1971 and our children were born in 1976 & 1979. Our Daughter and her family (including 3rd generation) were cruising in 2005 to around 2015, but they have now moved to Indiana.
Old 09-11-2020, 13:34   #6

Sort of a non-linear evolution. A kid who grows up hunting or fishing, tends to hunt or fish (If they liked it to begin with). How does a kid who grows up cruising, buy a boat and continue when they're 18 years old?

Often there is a period, usually long where the young adult has to go out and earn a living, save money, then get back into cruising again. Along the way, relationships careers, family all sort of 'get in the way'. Unless, during that sabbatical the young adult finds another cruising kid also in transition (unlikely), that means they now have to convince their non-cruising partner why they should venture out to sea. That is probably something well out of most people's comfort zone. More challenging is to convince their partner to take their small children with them.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 13:55   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

Second gen myself. Took some time out in my 20's and used the parent's boat (at a time they were back on shore filling the kitty) for a couple of years. Same in my 30s. Finally came to be time to own a boat myself and spend a bit longer that two-year stints.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 15:11   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

People who actually go cruising are already statistically rare. We've met a few of the 2 generation folks. They're even rarer, but usually super folks!

Ann
Old 09-11-2020, 15:34   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

I know more young people who ran away from their sailing parents as soon as they turned 18, than ones that went on to continue the lifestyle.

But I also know one case where a person came back to sailing in result of her child-time sailing memories.

Generally young people do not want to spend time in smelly boats with their ageing parents. They want to be with their peers and live a normal (=land) lives, just like the remaining 99.99% of the society.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 18:13   #10

Someone must have done something "right" every time a 3rd gen cruiser exists. It takes effort to cruise, and if someone puts in that effort for their kids, the experience must have been pretty positive. So, it's great to hear about those stories.

I imagine timing plays a role - both age and time aboard. I noticed that kids with the most trouble adjusting to "normal" life ashore were those that were either older or aboard for over 5 years.
Old 09-11-2020, 18:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCheneaux View Post
. I noticed that kids with the most trouble adjusting to "normal" life ashore were those that were either older or aboard for over 5 years.
I resemble that remark
Old 09-11-2020, 19:34   #12

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCheneaux View Post
Someone must have done something "right" every time a 3rd gen cruiser exists. It takes effort to cruise, and if someone puts in that effort for their kids, the experience must have been pretty positive. So, it's great to hear about those stories.

I imagine timing plays a role - both age and time aboard. I noticed that kids with the most trouble adjusting to "normal" life ashore were those that were either older or aboard for over 5 years.

Yes, I had trouble returning to grade 10 (age 15) after so many years on my own and around mainly adults and island kids while cruising. The kids I remembered from primary school were completely foreign creatures to me. I also was diagnosed with ADD (attention deficit disorder), but fortunately didnít get medicated.

I was expelled from a few schools and didnít settle down until a few years later, just in time to graduate from high school. I didnít last in university and ran away to be a ski bum for a few years, then went to Australia to sail 18 foot skiffs. Became a boat bum at the CYCA and sailed race boats up and down the east coast and cruised the islands.

By the time I reached my late 20s I met a woman who tamed me and began 20 years of land life. I fell into an IT career and it has been just fine with changing jobs and contracts every year or two, which suits my personality.

Iíve come out the far side of all this and am preparing to go live aboard cruising next season, finally.

Being a cruising kid spoiled me for normal land life, but I think thatís a feature, not a bug.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 19:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
I resemble that remark
Resemble or resent?

And I can certainly empathize with having been spoiled. Personally, it also makes the next step a bit more challenging... I want a longer, more off-the-beaten-track route, which adds to the logistical challenges.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:41   #14

As a teenager aboard a boat with my parents and brother there was certainly a level of resentment at the time. It didn't take long on returning to land and university for that resentment to turn to appreciation, which has grown greater with every passing year.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:17   #15

Boat: Freedom 38

I agree that this is non-linear. My mother was a circus performer. This trapeze artist always hated being in the water; I was a fish who hated heights. We did share a love of the wandering life style and I left home (and high school) at 16 to forge my own direction in life. I think kids will find their own groove and live contented lives or they'll be miserable and will make their parents miserable too if a certain lifestyle (even one as "great" as cruising) is forced on them. If you have enough grandkids, there is certainly one who will live to go with you. Just try not to favor the boys grandkids over the girls. I know as many girls who took up their grandfathers' passion as the boys.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser