Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 03:19   #61

Boat: offshore 8 meter
Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

[QUOTE=boatman61;2666666]Regarding the OP.. He said he is looking to buy.. and he is a newbie so he is unlikly to set off tomorrow.
Likely he will sail a while locally then expand his horizons as his experience grows.. and modify/upgrade his boat to suit his ambitions..
I merely stated that he does not need to consider rerigging as an immediate expense on purchase of the boat.. we have a member who bought a 30ftr for $1000 off Craigs list then went on to circumnavigate doing barely anything to upgrade.. he even (in the eyes off many) degraded the boat by pulling out the engine and opting for sculling.. he did it via NZ and round Good Hope.. proving good seamanship counts more than shiny new gear and all the bells and whistles.
I did not rerig for any of my long solo's or transats.. had a stay pop on my 47day nonstop from St Martin to Salcombe but a couple of blocks and some line served as an adequate jury for the last 1000nm of the trip.
I sail conservatively and prefer to be the bamboo rather than the oak..
As to the losing the boat thing.. I would prefer not to be in yours or Mottesiers company thank you.. I do not view it as an accomplishment.
Lets just accept we have different approaches to life and sailing.. your not the first to say I'm crap.. and I doubt you will be the last.. life would get boring if that happened.
:b im not saying your crap, im just diagreeing with you, is that allowed.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:39   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Rubbish, the majority of stainless steel yacht rigging has stainless ferrules, who is going to mix copper, SS and saltwater together for rigging?

Really? all of them? mine is 2.5ft bigger and has 7 and 8mm rigging.

Our concern is that people who read these forums are often novices and could take some of the advice as gospel, hence why the forum rules allow you to challenge statements that are posted on CF, provided you do it politely though.

Pete
hi pete, google talurit ss rigging you will get copper fittings check the galvanic scale there compatible check your facts before commenting please.. you dont say the size of your boat so i will assume about 30ft, could be 5 to 8 tons . even then 8mm rigging would be excessive, but on a bruce roberts 34 i upgraded to 8 mm,so i see your point on this but its the exception not the rule. on a smaller boat more likely but not definately i would say 3.5 to 4 tons more likely to have 4mm as standard as my offshore 8 meter did. i upgraded to 6mm feel free to disagree .
Old 05-07-2018, 03:55   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Not in the world I sail in,mate. It is never good practice to use copper ferrules (Nico Press or Tellurit) on 1x19 wire. Any decent rigger will tell you this, for it unevenly stresses the wires on the outside of the thimble and leads to early failure. Even on smaller (like 28 foot) boats, standard rigging practice includes sleeve type swage terminals or mechanical terminals.

You've been pretty dismissive of other's knowledge and experience...perhaps you should have a good look at your own when making such statements.

Jim
i use 7by7. i have met many a decent rigger who says its fine with talurits. again google the galvanic scale , theres no problem with compatibility. i have not been dismissive, im entitled to diagree with a comment, ie boatmans comment about rerigging an unknown boat for a circumnavigation being unnecessary i disagree, why would you have a problem with that
Old 05-07-2018, 03:59   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Regarding the OP.. He said he is looking to buy.. and he is a newbie so he is unlikly to set off tomorrow.
Likely he will sail a while locally then expand his horizons as his experience grows.. and modify/upgrade his boat to suit his ambitions..
I merely stated that he does not need to consider rerigging as an immediate expense on purchase of the boat..
This is pretty much what I did with my 27' Bluewater Boat.

I bought it for $2,000, painted the bottom, replaced the aging diesel, and have sailed it these last seven years in some pretty strong conditions and have yet to replace the rigging

In the slot, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Chesapeake Bay,
conditions can get rough with steep, closely spaced waves and wind (plus obstacles and ships!) and the boat has done fine even though it gets pounded.

The jib head strap recently failed (maybe a month ago) and the sail came down but I was able to recover the halyard and tie the jib onto the shackle then tape it the next day. I had personally sewed the other side of the strap last winter so it should be strong as I overdid it. I'm still sailing the boat like this for now since I'm usually no more than 12 miles or so offshore

I have bought a new main, solar, topping lift line, mainsheet, replaced a failed autopilot. The boat had sat on the hard for five years unattended before I bought it.

I would often test my rigging etc the first couple years I had my boat in strong wind around 20 knots or so to see if it and everything else on the boat seem to hold together without venturing too far offshore. Now I trust the boat and understand that the rigging it has is quite strong especially for the amount of sail it can carry
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:59   #65

Quote:
By the way.. just reread the thread and see no incivility or sarcsm in my posts until after you called me a fool and kinda impuned me as a delivery skipper.. and even then it was mild sarcasm..
Insecurities showing through..???
okay i apologise for that one, but nothing else, im entitled to my opinion.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:27   #66
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
okay i apologise for that one, but nothing else, im entitled to my opinion.
Apologies not really needed but accepted for the courtesy..
I enjoy a too and fro from time to time.. it tests the brain and mine needs stimulting these days..
As to your opinion.. your entitled to it.. like mine, its likely hard won through personal experiences.
Stay safe and keep smiling..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:32   #67

Quote:
Apologies not really needed but accepted for the courtesy..
I enjoy a too and fro from time to time.. it tests the brain and mine needs stimulting these days..
As to your opinion.. your entitled to it.. like mine, its likely hard won through personal experiences.
Stay safe and keep smiling..
agreed respect.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:20   #68

Ladies and Gentlemen

Permit me to make a respectful plea: When a newbie asks a specific question, e.g. “What vessels should I keep an eye out for?”, could we please be more careful that we do answer THAT question, and not get drawn into debates about exotica that a newbie may not yet know enuff to be able to appreciate?

I am concerned about this because this thread is not the only such case I have observed.

I made bold to look up the profile of the originator of this thread, and I think it is significant that all posts contributed by him, a totality of five, were made within a span of two hours on one afternoon. Since then he has not participated in the discussion, no doubt because it lost all relevance to his question, and became a little — uhm... — “heated” while plumbing the depth of the galvanic table.

I think we may have scared off the OP. Even if his enquiry was naive, as I think many of us thought it was, I think it would have been luvverly if we could have eased him along the path of seafaring righteousness rather than get absorbed in our own preoccupations.

I keeping with the tenor of the last few posts in this thread you are, of course, perfectly entitled to disagree with me :-)

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:32   #69
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen

Permit me to make a respectful plea: When a newbie asks a specific question, e.g. “What vessels should I keep an eye out for?”, could we please be more careful that we do answer THAT question, and not get drawn into debates about exotica that a newbie may not yet know enuff to be able to appreciate?

I am concerned about this because this thread is not the only such case I have observed.

I made bold to look up the profile of the originator of this thread, and I think it is significant that all posts contributed by him, a totality of five, were made within a span of two hours on one afternoon. Since then he has not participated in the discussion, no doubt because it lost all relevance to his question, and became a little — uhm... — “heated” while plumbing the depth of the galvanic table.

I think we may have scared off the OP. Even if his enquiry was naive, as I think many of us thought it was, I think it would have been luvverly if we could have eased him along the path of seafaring righteousness rather than get absorbed in our own preoccupations.

I keeping with the tenor of the last few posts in this thread you are, of course, perfectly entitled to disagree with me :-)

TP
I'll go with that.. being a cantankerous old bustard..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:34   #70

Knew you would... :-)!

TP
Old 05-07-2018, 09:44   #71

Boat: Scout 30

I recommend subscribing to these threads:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ee-197948.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:28   #72

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post

I made bold to look up the profile of the originator of this thread, and I think it is significant that all posts contributed by him, a totality of five, were made within a span of two hours on one afternoon.
TP
Could be he's decided not to cruise around the globe on autopilot on a 28' Blue Water Boat.

Maybe it was a slow workday ......... and he was just considering the "round the globe' idea for 10K

I'm always thinking these folks should first consider 'round the lake' or "round the bay' before just jumping in with both feet and buying a boat to cruising the entire globe
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:42   #73

I know thomm, and I share those sentiments, but you never know. My little whinge was really more about getting too . uhm.. "picky" :-)

Cheers

TP
Old 05-07-2018, 13:49   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
i use 7by7. i have met many a decent rigger who says its fine with talurits. again google the galvanic scale , theres no problem with compatibility. i have not been dismissive, im entitled to diagree with a comment, ie boatmans comment about rerigging an unknown boat for a circumnavigation being unnecessary i disagree, why would you have a problem with that
You will likely have noticed that nearly all vessels with s/s rigging wire use 1x19 format, not 7x7. Most sailors are not willing to accept the additional stretch of the more flexible wire, and as I said clearly, Tellurit type terminations are not recommended for 1x19. They are fine for 7x7 and 7x19 construction.

All of this was relative to your saying
Quote:
hi stainless rigging has copper swages they dont rust, rust on stainless dosnt indicate age of condition
in your post 43.

Enough of that...

I'm still of the general opinion that acquiring a suitable boat for long range cruising with a budget of 10 grand will require exceptional circumstances and a large dose of sweat and good skills. The op may have good fortune in the acquisition, but he hasn't shown us that he has the skills and knowledge to accomplish the refit.

As others have said, starting out with more limited goals will give him a chance to develop the skills. We all started out as novices. I can't speak for others, but I had no RTW expectations from my first (or second or third) yachts... that came later along with at least some of the wisdom required for choosing the appropriate vessel.

Jim
Old 05-07-2018, 21:57   #75

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

7x7 wire is interesting stuff, it's stretch is only slightly more for the same strength, but the diameter goes up. Roughly from memory 8mm 1x19 is similar to 10mm 7x7 in weight, strength and with a touch more stretch.

The biggest downside with it is the extra windage and very rough exterior that chafes sails and ropes badly.

Talurit type swages can reduce the strength of wire, text books I have seen talk about 10% or so. But I have seem a fair few 1x19 wires that have been successfully done this way. Ultimate reliability is hard to know, but then your typical stainless swages definately don't have a good reputation in this regard, I have seen too many broken strands poking out of swages to be very happy about them.

Tags
Bluewater, men, water