Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2018, 11:17   #106

Boat: offshore 8 meter
Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen

Permit me to make a respectful plea: When a newbie asks a specific question, e.g. “What vessels should I keep an eye out for?”, could we please be more careful that we do answer THAT question, and not get drawn into debates about exotica that a newbie may not yet know enuff to be able to appreciate?

I am concerned about this because this thread is not the only such case I have observed.

I made bold to look up the profile of the originator of this thread, and I think it is significant that all posts contributed by him, a totality of five, were made within a span of two hours on one afternoon. Since then he has not participated in the discussion, no doubt because it lost all relevance to his question, and became a little — uhm... — “heated” while plumbing the depth of the galvanic table.

I think we may have scared off the OP. Even if his enquiry was naive, as I think many of us thought it was, I think it would have been luvverly if we could have eased him along the path of seafaring righteousness rather than get absorbed in our own preoccupations.

I keeping with the tenor of the last few posts in this thread you are, of course, perfectly entitled to disagree with me :-)

TP
sorry got a bit carried away, wont happen again,i hope
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:18   #107

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think recommendations should only include 28' blue water capable boats because 27' just can't carry enough stuff & 29' is too expensive to maintain.

Bristol Channel Cutter
Westsail 28
Cape Dory 28
Morris Linda
Freedom 28
Bristol 28
Shannon 28
Pearson Triton
I keep forgetting that sarcasm is lost on the internet. Pretty obvious that 28' is not the only size that works but it's the only size that the OP is interested in so I say let's run with it!
Of the boats on this list only the Pearson is likely to be found under $10,000 in decent condition.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:29   #108

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like the OP just had a thought to cruise around the globe for a couple hours one afternoon.

He hasn't been back since ...........

So I think it's okay to add other boats. He might even agree after he sees a few........that is if he again thinks he might want to circumnavigate the globe on another afternoon

Btw, here's a nice video of the rather small Contessa 26 that has circumnavigated twice at least. The Contessa Skipper even flips off the camera man

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:43   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like the OP just had a thought to cruise around the globe for a couple hours one afternoon.

He hasn't been back since ...........

So I think it's okay to add other boats. He might even agree after he sees a few........that is if he again thinks he might want to circumnavigate the globe on another afternoon

Btw, here's a nice video of the rather small Contessa 26 that has circumnavigated twice at least. The Contessa Skipper even flips off the camera man

hi all the contessa type boats cutlass27 halcyon 27 were based on the 25ft vertue, a superb seaboat
Old 06-07-2018, 11:47   #110
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
I keep forgetting that sarcasm is lost on the internet.
Yes I also thought you were serious (and therefore one can short of a sixpack) 8-)

> Of the boats on this list only the Pearson is likely to be found under $10,000 in decent condition

Likely because it's not really as robust as most would want for offshore passage making?

Better bones, even if requiring more work is what I'd be looking for.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:50   #111

Quote:
I keep forgetting that sarcasm is lost on the internet. Pretty obvious that 28' is not the only size that works but it's the only size that the OP is interested in so I say let's run with it!
Of the boats on this list only the Pearson is likely to be found under $10,000 in decent condition.
hi, but he says is a newbie and might not understand a boats size depends on its displacement as well as its waterline, theres some superb capable and roomy boats a bit smaller cutlass 27 halcyom 27 ,albin vega. contessa 26.and my own offshore 8 meter, all within hes budget. its just advice, he dosnt have to take it but it gives him more options,
Old 06-07-2018, 11:53   #112

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
hi all the contessa type boats cutlass27 halcyon 27 were based on the 25ft vertue, a superb seaboat
Geez, that thing might only be a 25'er but it appears to be built to handle some extreme conditions. 9.74 sail area/disp, 11000 disp, ballast 4500, 494 disp/len, beam 7.16 and so on down the line

VERTUE sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

http://www.woodenships.co.uk/sailing...iles-vertue-4/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:56   #113
cruiser

Only a hundred built including the wood-only ones 70 years ago.

Bet the glass ones aren't cheap when they come on the market!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:03   #114

Quote:
Geez, that thing might only be a 25'er but it appears to be built to handle some extreme conditions. 9.74 sail area/disp, 11000 disp, 494 disp/len, beam 7.16 and so on down the line

https://www.google.com/search?q=vert...8SofX5MiViNrM:

For Sale - Laurent Giles Vertue wooden sailing yacht
hi, google vertue humphrey barton, you should get his story about sailing through a storm near bermuda, a well known book really good read.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:13   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post

Hi there,

Not quite. Contessa 26 based off the Folkboat.
ShakyIsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:16   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Only a hundred built including the wood-only ones 70 years ago.

Bet the glass ones aren't cheap when they come on the market!
probably not cheap ,but aint they beautiful , the hacyon 27 and cutlass are based on it and would be within his budget.
Old 06-07-2018, 13:04   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakyIsler View Post
Hi there,

Not quite. Contessa 26 based off the Folkboat.
yes your right, another good capable boat as proven by jester but lacking headroom compared to the contessa ,or the others
Old 06-07-2018, 13:16   #118

Read this thread with interest.

Purchased my Contessa 26 a few years ago (Canadian version) that had been shipped down here to NZ many years ago by its original Kiwi owner when he moved back home from a working stint in Canada.

First year just sat there while I repaid loan I got to purchase boat.

Second year started the work. I removed and am replacing every fitting, and then set about remodelling parts of the boat. Raised cockpit 6 inches, remodelled companionway much like Roger Taylor did with his second Mingming, and am in process of altering rig to Chinese lugsail / junk rig and much more.

I have easily spent triple (so far) on what I paid for the boat.
I am not complaining, I wanted a Contessa type of boat, and so when an actual Contessa came up for sale (rare as hens teeth in this part of the world) I had to get her.

The point I guess I am making is, much like Moitessier said, boats and sailing can cost as little as you have, or much as you have. For me its the latter, but for someone else who didnt want to do a big refurb / rebuild like I did / am doing, then I think $10K and change and a bit of sweat can get you out sailing. But with 40 - 50 year old boats like mine, if you have offshore horizons in mind, then you will probably have to spend a bit more.

I think someone mentioned James Baldwin and his Triton, and if I lived in North America, that Alberg type of boat ticks a lot of boxes if you want something in the 28-30 ft range as opposed to a smaller boat like mine.

But, aye, each to their own, and as long as you are happy with your boat then that is all that matters.

Cheers all

First pic is first day of ownership, bottom two more recent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Contessa Westhaven.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	173158

Name:	IMG-0666.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	173154

Name:	IMG-0664 (1).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	395.7 KB
ID:	173155
ShakyIsler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 13:36   #119
cruiser

Triton 28, reminds me,

Head to head with Tartan 27, read several posts is better built and a better design for liveaboard.

One on Long Island currently going for $2000, one area of soft core alongside the cabin, but Atomic 4 seems to be in great shape, apparently he's put $5K+ into her the past year.
Old 06-07-2018, 15:32   #120

Boat: Cold Molded Davidson 32 Built NZ

Quote:
Geez, that thing might only be a 25'er but it appears to be built to handle some extreme conditions. 9.74 sail area/disp, 11000 disp, ballast 4500, 494 disp/len, beam 7.16 and so on down the line

For Sale - Laurent Giles Vertue wooden sailing yacht
ED Boden sailed an engineless one around the planet and was the most happy person I ever met.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, men, water