Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2018, 18:17   #31

Boat: Cold Molded Davidson 32 Built NZ
Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

I like your attitude. I had a 28ft Twister about 33 years ago and it was unstoppable and a great heavy weather boat. Easy to singlehand. Has tiller steering and transom hung rudder hanging off a full keel. If you look on Apollo Duck there are a few for sale from 6000 pounds. You should be able to pick up a used self steering gear somewhere. They are also very pretty and you will love looking at her when you row away and she is swinging on a hook. Kim Holman designed some very pretty boats.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 18:34   #32

Westsail 32.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 18:58   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorrison146 View Post
Westsail 32.
I doubt that he will find may W-32s under his 10K$ limit...

Jim
Old 03-07-2018, 19:53   #34

I see that on Yachtworld there's a Twister for sale in The Netherlands for $13K US asking. It has self steering, solar panel, 2002 Volvo 18hp. The Dutch tend to take care of their vessels and the market is depressed there at present. We had to sell our Contessa 28 there last year for not much. This boat could be had for the amount you have and it has the glass cabin not the wooden one that had leaking problems. It's a wonderful country to spend some time in too. English is spoken by most.
Old 03-07-2018, 23:51   #35

Here in Sweden (where the Albin Vega was built) they are quite cheap. This is a link to the biggest buy & sell site in Sweden. There are 21 Vegas for sale for Ä1000-Ä8000 (US $1200-$9000). They are not wrecks, but they are not fitted out for blue water cruising either. One is for sale by the original owner who bought the boat new in 1968.....

https://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige?...is=1&l=0&md=th

/Kristian.
Tiki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:50   #36

Boat: offshore 8 meter

hi, ive crossed the atlantic 8 times 7 singlehanded in small boats. the last a 22 ft long keeler, last summer i sailed an offshore 8 meter from england to the canaries , in readiness for an atlantic crossing this winter, i have over 50,000 miles offshore in various boats since the 80s, so ive learned a bit about costs . in england you can by a reasonable older boat below 30 ft for about 3 to £5,000 depending on condition. exampes would be halcyon 27 cutlass albin vega snapdragon 26 offshore 8 meter westerly centaur, ect all different eg twin keels fin and skeg long keel. all capable of long passages and well built. you will have to do essential work for long distance sailing, starting with rerigging and going one size up from recomended, not expensive on a small boat. more ground tackle including new generation anchor eg, rocna manson ect. the best insurance you will have. ais reciever, but these days the sender as well paper charts and pilot books first then open cpn or nimble navigator for your laptop. all led lights. wind vane epirb.. i paid £3.500 for my 8 meter and spent about £2.000 getting her ready not including a liferaft. when cruising i live on approx £80 a week average. but obviously avoid marinas where possible and restaurants a lot depends on how practical you are ,how much you can do yourself, and the lifestyle you want i dont doubt other people will have other opinions, listen to them all if they have experience. regards and good luck.
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 03:54   #37

hi just looked on ebayuk. theres a nicholson 32 in your budget,
Old 04-07-2018, 04:08   #38

Boat: Fisher 37

Start here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Get-Real-Go...BDD0/ref=nodl_

A great read and very good advise for turning a dream into reality.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:10   #39

Boat: Fisher 37

For some reason the link was removed. Anyhow. Google Get Real, Get Gone by Rick Page.
Wayne hoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:10   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Budgets vary from person to person.. JohnCT has his idea on a budget for a boat for him..
Boat Alexandra had his budget for himself.. $1000 for a boat off Craigs List and off he went to complete a successful circumnavigation on what most CF members considered a wreck.. including the NZ authorities who tried to stop him sailing any further.
Many spend a lot on the boat but its more for their own peace of mind rather than what the boat actually needs.. upsizing the rigging for example.
hi renewing and upsizing is first on my list not expensive on a smaller boat, being 1,000s of miles from land with no mast, which could also mean no nav lights , radio ais. obviously depends where the antennas are is for me almost comparable to falling overside and watching the boat sail away, i can see no argument against rerigging. i have done over 50,000 miles offshore mostly singlehanded, the least useful thing for a singlehander offshore is a lifejacket.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:51   #41
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
hi renewing and upsizing is first on my list not expensive on a smaller boat, being 1,000s of miles from land with no mast, which could also mean no nav lights , radio ais. obviously depends where the antennas are is for me almost comparable to falling overside and watching the boat sail away, i can see no argument against rerigging. i have done over 50,000 miles offshore mostly singlehanded, the least useful thing for a singlehander offshore is a lifejacket.
Re rigging obviously depends on the state of the rig.. if the swages are rusty where wire joins or rusty strands.. Yes re rig.
I was refering more to the boat with say a 5yr old rig where it would be replaced/upgraded merely for the sake of it.
Realisticly most boats readied for a new seasons cruising with a concientious owner will be capable of sailing to the Canaries then across to the Caribe as is..
In season its no big deal.
I to have a few solo Transats under my belt along with many shorthanded deliveries where one takes the boat as is.. no luxuries such as making it 'Ready' and spending loadsa dosh..
Sail consevatively, reef early and dont set schedules and things should be just fine most of the time.. and if anything goes wrong.. just make a coffee and sit down and think things through 99% of the time theres a work around..
Obviously a big hole in the bow negates the above.. but thats skipper failure not boat failure..

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 04:55   #42

Boat: Alberg 30

check out the S/V Atom website
a Triton 28 Sailboat
Nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:04   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Re rigging obviously depends on the state of the rig.. if the swages are rusty where wire joins or rusty strands.. Yes re rig.
I was refering more to the boat with say a 5yr old rig where it would be replaced/upgraded merely for the sake of it.
Realisticly most boats readied for a new seasons cruising with a concientious owner will be capable of sailing to the Canaries then across to the Caribe as is..
In season its no big deal.
I to have a few solo Transats under my belt along with many shorthanded deliveries where one takes the boat as is.. no luxuries such as making it 'Ready' and spending loadsa dosh..
Sail consevatively, reef early and dont set schedules and things should be just fine most of the time.. and if anything goes wrong.. just make a coffee and sit down and think things through 99% of the time theres a work around..
Obviously a big hole in the bow negates the above.. but thats skipper failure not boat failure..
hi stainless rigging has copper swages they dont rust, rust on stainless dosnt indicate age of condition, having spent time in the cape verdes where stainless rusts badly and quickly. i was refering to an older boat where age of rigging is over 10 years or unknown , this thread sweems to have been posted by someone with little practical experience. as my offshore8 meters rigging only cost £350 to replace and upsize to 6mm a small price for peace of mind. i see no reason not to do it, i was in bermuda two years ag, there were 8 boats with mast damage, mostly a cap shroud parted losing the top of mast several with the clew torn off a roller headsail. it does happen your comment about delivering is nonsense in my opinion, if you had to deliver a boat across the atlantic and you saw a frayed shroud or the liferaft was seriously out of date or any number of things that were substandard and didnt insist the owner got them sorted you would with respect, be a fool
Old 04-07-2018, 06:33   #44
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

Quote:
hi stainless rigging has copper swages they dont rust, rust on stainless dosnt indicate age of condition, having spent time in the cape verdes where stainless rusts badly and quickly. i was refering to an older boat where age of rigging is over 10 years or unknown , this thread sweems to have been posted by someone with little practical experience. as my offshore8 meters rigging only cost £350 to replace and upsize to 6mm a small price for peace of mind. i see no reason not to do it, i was in bermuda two years ag, there were 8 boats with mast damage, mostly a cap shroud parted losing the top of mast several with the clew torn off a roller headsail. it does happen your comment about delivering is nonsense in my opinion, if you had to deliver a boat across the atlantic and you saw a frayed shroud or the liferaft was seriously out of date or any number of things that were substandard and didnt insist the owner got them sorted you would with respect, be a fool
Yeah.. Whatever..!!!

Born To Be Wild.. Double Click on the picture.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:49   #45

Quote:
I don't think he quite said that, he did mention that obvious rig problems should not be neglected. And he is a survivor, deliveries are not easy. Sorry, but I had to comment.

Tags
Bluewater, men, water