Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 15:27   #136

Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiingSkipper View Post
Hello, Im a newb and am looking to take the big leap and join the liveaboard community. My budget is 10k(hopefully less) and I'm looking to get a 28ft solid blue water monohull with a trusty autopilot installed since I will likely single hand this gal around the globe. Is my budget too low you think? and What vessels should I keep an eye out for? Any insight would be appreciated.
Your budget isn’t the issue, the size of boat is.

As you want an autopilot, I guess you want to sail it too? I’ve owned a 28footer for over 20 years and since I spent 4 years living aboard, I sold and upped to a 34footer. It simply isn’t big enough, long term. I loved my yacht, knew every nut & bolt, but lets get real. Living aboard and sailing, are mutually incompatible unless you have a decent size to start with..... if I’d had the funds for marina fees, I’d have gone to nearer 40ft.

I sail single handed, around The Solent, U.K.
BonyTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:56   #137

Send a message via AIM to Nigel Layland

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiingSkipper View Post
Hello, Im a newb and am looking to take the big leap and join the liveaboard community. My budget is 10k(hopefully less) and I'm looking to get a 28ft solid blue water monohull with a trusty autopilot installed since I will likely single hand this gal around the globe. Is my budget too low you think? and What vessels should I keep an eye out for? Any insight would be appreciated.
https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=570636
Nigel Layland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 15:57   #138
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

All depends on the person and what they're used to.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 16:01   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by scallowayuk View Post
yes your right, another good capable boat as proven by jester but lacking headroom compared to the contessa ,or the others
I thought Tania Aebi trip was more impressive and the book is a good read too.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 17:09   #140

Just saw a great documentary on Netflix called "Chasing Bubbles" about a guy cruising around the world on a budget. I just looked at a nice 30 foot Hunter for 9500 here in Kemah TX. I would buy it myself but want something bigger. Check out the add on Criaigslist in Houston. There must be plenty of boats out there that would work. Learn all you can about fixing things because you will have to do it all by yourself if you single hand it. Read all you can and try to lake some courses if possible. Celestial Navigation would be good. In the movie "Adrift" she says that is what kept her alive.

After you have done all you can to learn and prepare, then go for it! I am old and in my experience I have not regretted the things in life I have done as much as the things in life I didn't do out of fear.
GottaGo1958
GottaGo1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:02   #141

Boat: Columbia 10.7

I upgraded from a Cal 27 to a Columbia 10.7. The difference in size is huge. The Columbia is definitely big enough to live aboard and that is my goal once I get it back into shape.

I was very lucky to stumble across the Columbia. It is designed for cruising with a full modified fin keel.

The Cal 27 was a great boat, but simply not big enough for me (6'5") to live aboard for more than a few days at a time. The Cal is much better sailing, especially in light winds, and easier to single-hand.

The boat was for sale for a long time and badly neglected. Many of the portholes and portlights leak. I've already bought replacements for the portholes and will replace the portlights at the same time. I purchased it for $10K but I'll need to put at least that much into it to get it ready for cruising.

We spent $3K to soda blast the bottom otherwise it would have taken all summer to sand the bottom and get off the many years of paint. It was in very bad shape.

The sails are original and, while usable, should also be replaced. I may try to buy used or find other economical alternatives. Either way, expect to spend $10K or more to get your cruiser ready to sail around the world.

If I was 10 years younger and my kids were out of college I would definitely consider a cruising life. Instead, my long term goal is to sail to northern Europe for a summer stay and then a wintering in the Med. If I can manage that in the next 10 years, I will be a very happy man. Good luck.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 16:57   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I think recommendations should only include 28' blue water capable boats because 27' just can't carry enough stuff & 29' is too expensive to maintain.

Bristol Channel Cutter
Westsail 28
Cape Dory 28
Morris Linda
Freedom 28
Bristol 28
Shannon 28
Pearson Triton
Ahh, I notice you put the Freedom 28 in this list. I am curious what your experience is and/or why the Freedom 28 made your list?
ZoroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2023, 17:00   #143

Note: Just for kicks I Googled ---- cost for a new 28 foot sailboat --- and the prices are in the $120K to $160K range....

Wow, these older boats, especially boats with real wood interiors, boats with character, and boats that sail well and have electronics with solar panels and lithium batteries, etc. are a very good value.
ZoroMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2023, 13:26   #144

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoroMan View Post
Note: Just for kicks I Googled ---- cost for a new 28 foot sailboat --- and the prices are in the $120K to $160K range....

Wow, these older boats, especially boats with real wood interiors, boats with character, and boats that sail well and have electronics with solar panels and lithium batteries, etc. are a very good value.

Main reason I keep my little boat
Old 29-10-2023, 13:30   #145

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoroMan View Post

Yep… agreed!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2023, 13:55   #146
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 28ft Bluewater Live aboard recommendations

Here's one for you.. a little more than $10k but has everything you'll need..

https://www.scanboat.com/en/boat-mar...ca-27-17468515

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, men, water