Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2017, 18:56   #1

Boat: Blue Buoy Del Rey 50
28 Cat OR 50 Mono

We have been cruising in the Caribbean for the last 5 years and planing to go back to the east coast of the US in the not too distant future.

We currently have a couple of boats and I have been trying to figure out which would be the most enjoyable to keep while there.

The 28ft cat has a 3ft draft 13ft beam 30ft mast that can be dropped by us and has satisfied our needs for 4 years. Space is a bit tight.

The 50ft mono has a 7.6ft draft 13ft beam 62ft mast and has given us alot more space. Very nice offshore performance.

If we where to continue sailing around the world then the mono would be our choice but since we will be in the US for a min of 3-4yrs maybe more I am wondering if it will not be as enjoyable if we want to explore the ICW and other inland places. Also was thinking in 3-4yrs if we decided to continue sailing we can always look again for another boat.

Since I have not sailed the east coast much I am not sure what type of boat would be the most enjoyable.. my wife and son vote the 50ft because they both enjoy the space so much. But if we have to sail off shore all the time then I am sure they will have other votes.

Also anchoring and docking.. Can we anchor in most places?

Any feed back is welcome and sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.
deepthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 19:06   #2

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV
Re: 28 Cat OR 50 Mono

Sell them both and buy a gemini, lots of livable space, simple systems, ok offshore for a Bahamas and such. You can get an older boat well equipped with a newish outboard for $50 k. Draws 3' with 48' (depends on year) so you are golden on the ICW and the Okeechobee waterway. Sorry I sold mine.
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote