Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2019, 10:36   #16

Boat: Flicka 20
Re: 21ft Sailboat - How to Manage Living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
-I have used a bucket. It really has no advantage over a porta potti and is a bit of a PITA. Just put that where you would put the bucket maybe? There are also very small porta potti's as well as bigger ones.
-There are good coolers that ice will stay better in. Get a good one if you can. Another option is the 12V Engle, they dont draw much.
-Boom tent a good idea.
-A small propane camping stove will be very nice. They are cheap. Cook in the cockpit. Cooking with alcohol takes forever.
-A second anchor and a long line to take ashore. maybe 200 feet of poly floating line.
I think the cooler name is Engel not Eagle. Spell checkers be dammed!!!

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 10:36   #17

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I'd suggest an 8 foot porta-bot, and a 2.5 suzuki 4 stroke outboard for a tender. The whole set-up, boat & outboard, weighs in at about 100 lbs combined, and can fold down and be stored inside the boat if need be. The outboard is only 29 lbs weighed separately. Plenty of volume in the dinghy, and able to transport up to 4 people, or a huge load of supplies. I use the same set-up on a 22 foot Catalina, and it works like a charm.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 10:38   #18

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Really? You just dump a porta potty base or a bucket in the toilet. What do you do with a crap and urine filled bag?
The land fill via a dumpster. Maybe not correct but how many PP have been dumped over the side?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 11:02   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJohn49 View Post
I think the cooler name is Engel not Eagle. Spell checkers be dammed!!!

CaptainJohn49
yep, Engel.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 12:07   #20

Boat: 40' searunner trimaran

I met a couple who sailed their 21 foot catalina from trinidad to french polynesia. They used an inflatable kayak as their dinghy. A bucket with a lid was the toilet. A small gimballed one burner stove, a square plastic tub and a cutting board that fit tightly over the tub was the galley. One kettle, one pot, one pan. They were friendly and outgoing people and as fellow sailors i had no qualms about lending them tools and even giving them needed spares ( i noticed a bad shackle and as they had no replacement we gave them 2.)
There is also the amazing woman Shirley who sails her 23 foot junk rigged boat Stillwell solo across oceans, she has a blog you can read to see how she gets along with a super small boat.
trimarannaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 12:36   #21

Quote:
yep, Engel.
I believe they only claim 40deg. below ambient which in my experience they do. Excellent for higher lat. not really very good for ambient temps above 80.
A good produce for its intended us. No moving parts other than a small fan.
Planning ahead for minimal openings since recovery is slow
Old 24-11-2019, 12:41   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
21ft Sailboat - How to Manage Living?

No an Engel is a compressor system. An Engel will get below zero and keep ice cream hard in the tropics, but they are very expensive.
A peltier plate is what your describing and they will cool things off, but are extremely inefficient for the cooling they provide.

However for the OP. You are very quickly going to run out of room, I wouldn’t buy anything or buy things you know you have to have, like a life vest, then go out for awhile and decide, or your going to end up with a lot of stuff that you just don’t have room for.
I know cause I did on an Island Packet 38, I have as much stuff in storage now as I do on the boat it seems.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 12:43   #23

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

affluent?? must mean effluent.
LUV my Engle! It was as big an improvement as installing a solar panel, battery & lights on my first 16' boat. 2 80w solars keeps batteries topped up.

A friend of mine has 2 foldable (not flexible..they don't seem to last very long)

Boom tent a must. At least one reef for the main & rig a down haul for the jib if no roller furler.

16"x30" plywood with an oval hole for gimble mounting a single burner mounted on the tank served me well. A "one pot" cookbook. LED's of course (look for LED's on a reel from ebay).
Fair winds
DC
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 13:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No an Engel is a compressor system. An Engel will get below zero and keep ice cream hard in the tropics, but they are very expensive.
A peltier plate is what your describing and they will cool things off, but are extremely inefficient for the cooling they provide.

However for the OP. You are very quickly going to run out of room, I wouldn’t buy anything or buy things you know you have to have, like a life vest, then go out for awhile and decide, or your going to end up with a lot of stuff that you just don’t have room for.
I know cause I did on an Island Packet 38, I have as much stuff in storage now as I do on the boat it seems.
I may have been wrong. I was speaking of thermoelectric units which are good for minimal power consumption and are good for the right situation. When he is speaking of that type of boat and that area one may just be the ticket.
Old 24-11-2019, 13:44   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What your taking about is a Peltier cooler
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling
Your right about the 40f temp difference too, they barely cool anything, but they use power about like a “real” fridge, and that is their real problem on a small boat.
I had a Coleman one when I was racing motorcycles, and it wasn’t worth a crap, an ice cooler was far superior.
Now I assume this guy is going to day sail suck a small boat and not live on it?
Old 24-11-2019, 13:54   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
The land fill via a dumpster. Maybe not correct but how many PP have been dumped over the side?
anyone know where baby diapers go? I don't think anyone cleans them first. A cheap homemade compost toilet works wonders . same space and weight as porta potty. Lee
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 14:38   #27

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

For storage of your propane or butane buy a 25" piece of 4" PVC and get two end caps, and two or three stainless steel bands. Affix this to an aft stanchion outside the boat. That will hold 3 1lb propane canisters and cost you a few dollars to make. Much safer than storing propane in the boat.

In addition to or to replace your propane burner, consider a magnum round grill. You can then cook, grill, make hot water/coffee.

ENJOY Your Adventure!
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 14:41   #28

When I was asking about emptying compost toilets I was told same thing they do with baby diapers. Into trash containers. But compost can be used in lawns as it is composted.
When I am checking something out on my little boat I live in it while checking it out . While parked in driveway. Once stayed on board in drive way for a week. Made promise then If I wouldn't dump something in my driveway I will not dump it in water. Urine bottle is exception.
smbdyiam2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 14:44   #29

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I would second this. Keep it as simple as you can and let your needs dictate what you bring on after the starting gun. We have an engel on our 27'. Very efficient and great to have, but the trade-offs are large to us, and would be huge on a 21'. On the other hand, ice is easy to come by on the US coast and doesn't cost much!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 16:38   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

21ft Sailboat - How to Manage Living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbdyiam2 View Post
When I was asking about emptying compost toilets I was told same thing they do with baby diapers. Into trash containers. But compost can be used in lawns as it is composted.
When I am checking something out on my little boat I live in it while checking it out . While parked in driveway. Once stayed on board in drive way for a week. Made promise then If I wouldn't dump something in my driveway I will not dump it in water. Urine bottle is exception.

Dry heads in boats are not composting toilets though, they are dessicating toilets.
One over an extended time actually decomposes the waste, the other dries it out, sort of mummifies it.

However it’s still human waste and I’m sure some would take offense.

Tags
boat, grass, sail, sailboat