Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 18:59   #46

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: 1st timer - reluctant 1st mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
I get my Missus on the tiller often when we are picking up a buoy or when there is anchor work I can handle the heavy stuff and she is happy to steer. Also when we are on a passage and hand steering she sails a far straighter course than me, she anticipates the waves and has a much better attention span, I quite easily get distracted but she can do two things at once.
Time will tell for us ... I enjoy the challenge of keeping a steady track and being an ex private pilot I am looking forward to challenging myself to keep track towards each waypoint.

I hope my Admiral will find the same interest in this but above all that she simply enjoys the feel of sailing the boat and the freedom the ocean brings, coupled with the awesome life that it holds. I can't wait to see Dolphins again. I once had an amazing experience when a Dolphin played with me in the water in the Indian Ocean. Although it was a fleeting moment ... it left me with the most stunningly serene aura that lasted the entire day. It was a privilege I pray will one day be bestowed upon me again.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 15:50   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I once had an amazing experience when a Dolphin played with me in the water in the Indian Ocean. Although it was a fleeting moment ... it left me with the most stunningly serene aura that lasted the entire day. It was a privilege I pray will one day be bestowed upon me again.
I know this will sound unlikely but I also had a wild dolphin play with us in Brixham in the UK last summer.
Old 08-10-2012, 00:40   #48

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacique View Post
I know this will sound unlikely but I also had a wild dolphin play with us in Brixham in the UK last summer.
No, not at all unlikely. On the contrary, I have spent almost all my life in and around the sea and it is well known that dolphins can and do sometimes actively seek close proximity to humans. I have been on my Macski a number of times and they have swum close to me whilst I was waiting for a wave.

I have always felt very privileged when they have swum near me. The incident I referred to was an exceptional privilege because, although it was a very brief interaction, it was a huge bottle-nose dolphin (because of its size I suspect a male), and it was being deliberately playful with me.

I can't wait for us to get on with our adventure and see dolphins again (amongst other sea creatures). I also want my wife to experience close proximity to dolphins as they play at the bow of the boat.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote