Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2010, 21:03   #1

1976 41’ Center Cockpit, Islander Freeport

We are looking for a live aboard and came across this boat. We really like the layout and looks of the boat but know nothing of the sailing qualities. That is where I could use your help.

The owners have been readying the boat for several years for long extended voyages. They currently live on the boat. The boat has many options. Some of which are: new main, new refridgerator, new microwave and new propane stove. 65hp Perkins diesel and auto halon extinguisher. 300 gal fuel, 100 gal water, and 16 gal black water.

For electronics:
Standard Horizon VHF Radio with DSC – NEW 2010
Kenwood TS 440 HAM/SSB Transceiver
JRC 16 Mile LCD Radar
Lowrance LRA 1800 Color Radar
Autohelm 6000 Autopilot with NEW computer and NEW fluxgate compass, (not connected)
Lowrance LMS527c iGPS/Depth Finder/Chartplotter with radar screen
Ritchie Binnacle Compass

4KW Apollo Genset – with Kobata diesel engine – RECONDITIONED 2010
Honda 1000 watt spare generator
Heart Inverter 1800 watt 12VDC to 110VAC
30 amp Professional Mariner Battery Charger
High output 88amp Alternator – NEW 2010
Lots of battery power -- 3 x 8D House Batteries and 3 x New Marine Starting Batteries
Village Marine “No Frills”Watermaker – 20+ gallons per hour – RECONDITIONED 2008
Electric Bilge Pump, plus Engine-Driven Bilge Pump
Mizzen mast-mounted KISS 400W Wind Generator – NEW 2009
2 Kyocera 135W (each) Solar Panels with Zantex Charge Controller – NEW 2009
24” LH 16 2-Blade Bronze Propeller (new 3 blade spare onboard)

60# Manson Supreme Anchor with 250’ Chain (NEW 2010)
45# CQR with 250’ of Rode
25#Danforth Stern Anchor

SS Dinghy Davits
10’ Aqua Pro Inflatable RIB with Aluminum Bottom
Two (9.9 hp and 5 hp) Tohatsu outboards
Two Outboard Deck Motor Mounts

If you have an opinion on this boat please let me know. We looked a others but this one really caught our attention.

Lance835
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 22:30   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
islander freeport
designer perry
how DO bob perrys boats sail--i only owned one-- it sailed well.smooth. i never sailed the freeport. i wanted one -- timing as off..
if this boat grabbed your attention-- GET IT. is a good boat and you will not be disappointed.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 15:11   #3

Boat: Sold the previous one but there's always another boat!
Zeehag is almost right...

The Freeport 36 was certainly all Perry and a good sailing/handling boat, but the Freeport 41 began life as the Charlie Davies designed Islander 40 motorsailer. Because of poor sales, Bob Perry was hired by Islander to do some redesign work on it that included various cosmetic treatments, slightly lengthening the bow and smoothing out the stern, increasing sail area, and a re-do of the interior and cockpit. It was a nice looking transformation, and Islander sold over 60 of them.

Still, it's a heavy, full keel boat and you may find the 65HP Perkins installed on this particular boat a bit small (many of the boats came from the factory with a 100HP diesel). But bottom line, a Freeport 41 would be a great liveaboard for you!
GOsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 16:08   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Ora View Post
Zeehag is almost right...

The Freeport 36 was certainly all Perry and a good sailing/handling boat, but the Freeport 41 began life as the Charlie Davies designed Islander 40 motorsailer. Because of poor sales, Bob Perry was hired by Islander to do some redesign work on it that included various cosmetic treatments, slightly lengthening the bow and smoothing out the stern, increasing sail area, and a re-do of the interior and cockpit. It was a nice looking transformation, and Islander sold over 60 of them.

Still, it's a heavy, full keel boat and you may find the 65HP Perkins installed on this particular boat a bit small (many of the boats came from the factory with a 100HP diesel). But bottom line, a Freeport 41 would be a great liveaboard for you!
thankyu---i didnt realize there was a difference--i was told he did them -- musta been his influence that th individual was mentioning, then.. i didnt know--thankyou . for clearing htat up for me..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 18:43   #5

You guys have been great. We headed west to La Push and survived the storm in a small truck camper parked on the beach. We have done a search for more Islanders and will be heading to look at them as well for comparison. We actually found one in Texas and may have a friend down there look at it.

We have the bug bad but trying to shop wisely. Not sure how much longer we can hold out. Before we buy anything we will have a qualified inspection of the boat but we are really ready to get started.

Lance835
Lance835 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
center cockpit, Islander Freeport