Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2019, 17:25   #46

Boat: Rhodes Bounty II
Re: 1958 Rhodes Bounty II TELEIA

Good thought about the mainsail tracks but they both go all the way to the mast head, and a storm try wouldn't set that high.

Oh but for a conversion prior owner. The secret may die with him.

Sailed out to Greenport from Hempstead yesterday and last night. Single handed about 70 nm rough as hell but I am continually impressed with the self steering. I can get a solid half hour off the helm in all but a lumpy slop. No auto pilot. How did Philip Walwyn do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191024_123233.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	202037  
JDOradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 20:32   #47

I am now working as an apprentice in a well known wooden boat yard. I've been derigging boats like mad which includes moving them and setting docklines often. This has made me appreciate the Bounty II arrangement of cleats and other mooring and anchoring deck hardware a lot!

First I have a real bulwark at the sheer. Not just a toe rail but 2-3" of hull, and through the bulwark are let two large oval bronze scuppers, one at the bow and one about three feet aft of the mast, on both sides port and starboard of course. At the bow I have a giant 12" bronze Herreshoff cleat bolted through the king plank with a big backer block, the windless drum, and two large cleats on the inside of each bulwark about 6" abaft the scuppers, bolted through the hull. So four independent large caliber attachment points. What a joy to moor! No over loaded cleats! No " I have to untangle this pile of frozen spaghetti to get to the cleat to adjust the spring line" nonsense for me.

The stern not so much. One large cleat, one good enclosed fairlead a little to starboard of amidships. Blah.

I run spring lines through the mid ships scuppers then aft to winches, cleats, whatever, which are abundant in the cockpit.

Overall I can rig a very satisfactory attachment to anything. I am now living at a slip in the shipyard where I work. Getting settled in for winter. Love my coal stove!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191106_163114.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	203748  
Old 25-11-2019, 20:42   #48

Also been researching Philip Rhodes and the Bounty II design predecessors like the R 27 and GAME COCK and I have the honor to have access to CAPER a big CCA Rhodes ocean racing sloop very like my boat only 20 ft bigger, wood, and truly a gold plater. I have inherited a pretty amazing boat. The hull or one similar has won a lot of ocean hardware and graced a lot of magazine covers.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:10   #49

Boat: Rhodes Bounty 2 40'

Hello there! I cannot believe I missed your amazing thread about the adventures with Teleia, or the interest from other Bounty II owners, and those that don't know what they are missing.

I am the proud proud owner of Tiare, #37. She is a yawl that we brought back from Hawaii to the UK in 2007. She is also blue over red, and looks such a picture compared to all those white tubs... until you realise the luxuries they have below...

After many years of two-steps-forward-one-step-back restoration, and five years of slowly introducing our two boys to her in the Solent (the home of sailing in the UK), we have a just had the summer of our lives exploring the south coast of the UK.

Your wonderful description of Teleia '...enjoying a storm more than I did...' rang true - no matter how hectic it gets, I always feel like I am barely touching Tiare's capability.

I have always dreamt (although work never seems to allow me the time) of gathering up those staying loyal to our Bounty's (Bounties?), and maybe getting us together at some point...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200712_190826.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	228520  
Bcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 17:23   #50

Good evening,
A friend alerted me to your blog and seeing Teleia again brings back so many memories.
My very good friend owned her for many years and she became like family to me too.
Feel free to contact me
fair winds
George
HeritageIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 09:56   #51

Great to hear from you guys. Im planning to sail across to England in 2022. When I get there it we would be great to find other Bounty IIs!

Teleia just carried me from Martha's vineyard to greenport NY, across Block Island Sound in 20-30 knots from the NW. What a boat! I spent the night in Point Judith and took off from there with two other boats headed west. Teleia walked away from them, steering herself while I huddled behind the Dodger or stood by the stove in the cabin.

I have been sailing engineless for a year but just bought a yanmar 3gm30 which is aboard but not installed. It will be a major upgrade to repower and finally get the wiring redone. These are my winter projects!